Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Thank you, BBC!!

Author Topic: Thank you, BBC!!
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The BBC has aired 'The Cage' today!!!
First time for me!
It was great. Much better than most VOY episodes! I was surprised of the special effects for the time!

Here are a few oddities, care to explain (in the Trek Universe answers, I know Rodenberry was still making things up along the way and the budget was tight)?:

-They use paper onboard the Enterprise
-Someone says: "Our ships have crossed the time-barrier now, we can reach speeds of ..."
-FTL speed isn't called warp, but "hyperspeed", then they give the amount of hyperspeed in time-warp units. Maybe someway to deal with relativity-problems?
-This one is interesting: The two transporter operators are wearing uniforms with United Earth insignia! Did United Earth still exist as an autonomous force?
-Where are the ranks on those uniforms Pike & co are wearing?

------------------
If you want to get your soul to heaven,
trust in me.
Don't judge or question.
You are broken now,
but faith can heal you.
Just do everything I tell you to do.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow.
Let me lay my holy hand upon you.

-Tool, "Opiate"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch the pilot. Love the pilot. But don't focus too hard. There isn't a whole lot that fits into anything. In one of the early eps, Kirk refers to Starfleet as the United Earth Space Probe Agency (UESPA). At this point in the creation of the series, the Enterprise was supposed to work for a united Earth organization. I doubt "The Federation" was even a glimer in Roddenberry's eye yet.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another oddity:

Pike's quarters had a TV set in them

TV hadn't existed since 2044 I believe

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's not completely odd, maybe he likes antiques. Paris has a TV in his quarters.

------------------
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This seems like more of a General Discussion topic than a Starships/Technology one...

------------------
"This is Major Tom to ground control. I'm stepping through the door, and I'm floating in a most peculiar way. And the stars look very different today..."
-David Bowie, "Space Oddity"

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps