Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship masses (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ship masses
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As my personal ship list continues to evolve, I have to bother you all with a request. Can anyone post a list of all known ship masses (in metric tons) ? At least I have Ambassador (TNG:TM), Galaxy (TNG:TM) and Intrepid ("Caretaker" [VOY]).
Hope you can help.

------------------
"Alpha Centauri is a beautiful place to visit, you ought to see it" - Kirk to 1969 USAF officer Fellini, "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)

Shik, God of Caffeine
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the DS9 Tech Manual (SHUT UP!! Heh...):

Nebula: 3.309 million metric tonnes
Excelsior: 2.35 million metric tonnes
Defiant: 355,000 metric tonnes
Akira: 3.055 million metric tonnes
Miranda: 655,000 metric tonnes
Norway: 622,000 metric tonnes
Saber: 310,000 metric tonnes
Centaur-type: 870,000 metric tonnes
"Shelley"-type: 1.27 million metric tonnes
Yeager: 550,000 metric tonnes
Intrepid/Constitution-type: 1.3 million metric tonnes
Excelsior-type w/ 3 nacelles: 660,000 metric tonnes
Constitution-type that looks like a destroyer: 650,000 metric tonnes

Oddly enough, no mass is given for the Danube-class. Fandom reports that the Constitution-class is 190,000 metric tonnes, but discussions over on RAST have indicated that a line in TOS stated Enterprise as being "nearly a million tons;" this works out right with the Excelsior-class.

For fun & effect, I'll throw these in as well:

Saladin: 95,000 metric tonnes
Hermes: 94,500 metric tonnes
Ptolemy: 126,500 metric tonnes
Federation: 285,000 metric tonnes

Of course, these are all based on the 190,000-metric-ton figure for the Constitution & should be revised accordingly.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

IP: Logged
Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whew, thanX!!!!

Ah... the Saladin, Hermes, Ptolemy and Federation... The "canon" Franz Joseph designs!

Oh, and if anybody else is interested, this are some other I already had before my request was made:

Intrepid: 700,000 MT
Sovereign: 3,205,000 MT (canonicity of this figure is uncertain, but I'll take it)
Ambassador: 3,710,000 MT
Galaxy: 4,960,000 MT
Kobayashi Maru: 147,943 MT
Type-15 shuttlepod: 0.86 MT
Type-15A shuttlepod: 0.97 MT
Type-16 shuttlepod: 1.25 MT
Type-6 personnel shuttle: 3.38 MT
Type-7 personnel shuttle: 3.96 MT
Type-9A cargo shuttle: 4.5 MT
Sphinx-type workpod: 1.2 MT

Intrepid is on-screen reference ("Caretaker" [VOY]), Sovereign from an old thread in this forum, Ambassador/Galaxy/shuttles/Sphinx from TNG:TM, and Kobayashi Maru from a screen in ST2.

------------------
"Alpha Centauri is a beautiful place to visit, you ought to see it" - Kirk to 1969 USAF officer Fellini, "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Ah... the Saladin, Hermes, Ptolemy and Federation... The "canon" Franz Joseph designs!

There's absolutely nothing canon about them.

------------------
"Ultra Magnus is Undeniably Fun!" David Stevens, New York Magazine.
"Total Complete excitement from start to finish!" -WPIX-TV, New York
"This isn't a thrill ride, it's a rocket..." -Richard Caves, Time Magazine.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps you didn't notice the quotation marks, UM. That implies a part of speech known as a joke.

------------------
Falls don't hurt. It's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom that hurts.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's where you're wrong, there is a mass for the Danube.

Length: 23.1 meters.
Height: 5.4 meters.
Beam: 13.7 meters.
Mass: 158.7 metric tons.

And armed with six phaser strips and 13.3 centimeter microtorpedoes and four full sized photon torpedoes.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited June 12, 2000).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah silly me. God bless nearsightedness.

------------------
"Ultra Magnus is Undeniably Fun!" David Stevens, New York Magazine.
"Total Complete excitement from start to finish!" -WPIX-TV, New York
"This isn't a thrill ride, it's a rocket..." -Richard Caves, Time Magazine.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually two of the FJ designs are canon (I think they were the Hermes and Ptolemy, but don't hold me to it). They were on displays in, IIRC, ST2.

------------------
"Are you alright? You sure? 'Cause you just went through a wall."
-Detective Drycoff, Gone in 60 Seconds

Shik, God of Caffeine
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oop, so it DOES mention the mass of the Danube-class. My fault...didn't look down the page. Visually clumsy OAF....

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

IP: Logged
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uhm... slight inconsistency here... how can an Ambassador possibly weigh more then a Sovereign?
I'll take these figures as non-canon.

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see a Sovereign being less than an Ambassador..materials reduction has a hell of an effect. Hell, I bet Galaxys aren't even 4.96 million metric tonnes anymore; for years, I've been saying that newer models in "my" universe are between 3.85 & 4.08 million metrice tonnes through materials improvement.

There's also a lot less volume in a Sovereign than an Ambassador, even taking into account the longer nacelles (& thus more coils, weighing more overall) on the former class. The 3.205 million-metric-ton figure comes from the SciPubTech poster & provides a nice low-end possible figure; I'd venture to say that the absolute upper limit would be 3.88 million metric tonnes. These figures are based on nothing more than mental comparison, zero math, & a sh*tslinging ability honed by 2 years of politcal campaign work.

------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And don't forget the USS Revere NCC-595 (Hermes-Class), USS Columbia NCC-621 (Cygnus-Class) and USS Entente NCC-2100 (Federation-Class).

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Of course FJ's designs are non-canon. But at least Saladin, Hermes, Ptolemy, Federation and Cygnus have a little connection with canon.

The USS Entente NCC-2120 (not 2100, Fitz ), USS Revere NCC-595 and USS Columbia NCC-621 were mentioned in radio chatter in ST:TMP. The ships were all three taken from the Star Fleet Technical Manual by Franz Joseph, which identified these ships as Federation class dreadnought, Hermes class scout and Cygnus class scout. No class names were, however, mentioned on screen.

FJ's Saladin class destroyer and Ptolemy class transport/tug schematics could be glimpsed on some computer screen in ST2. I wasn't able to tell, but I recently found it on the website of pIna'Sov.

And for the Galaxy/Ambassador/Sovereign masses... The Galaxy mass was directly mentioned on page 57 from the TNG:TM, and the Ambassador mass on page 75. I take the SciPubTech mass for granted, as no canon figure is known yet. Still, I think there's no objection against these three figures. Taking Shik's very logical theory in account, the three numbers are just fine to me.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was it the Saladin and Ptolemy that were on the displays? Okay, then those are the designs that are canon. As for the Revere, Columbia, and Entente, their classes can't be considered canon any more than if some episode/movie mentioned a Defiant-class USS Monitor and we assumed it was painted black like the one in The Return. You can only take as canon what's actually on screen, not fandom stuff that happens to relate to it.

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, actually, I don't believe the names Ptolemy and Saladin would be canon, since they were not on the screens (I don't think).

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps