Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ship masses (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Ship masses
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are correct. The names aren't necessarily canon (though, if we figure out if they took the displays directly from the book, and how much of the page they used, it could be determined if the names technically were there), but the designs are. It's easiest to refer to the designs by those names, since they weren't given names on screen, but you're right that we cannot assume these to be their names in the Trek universe.

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't said that the class names were canon... I tried to imply that it are the designs that are canon. And I also don't pretend that the class names of the Revere, Entente and Columbia are canon. But please pay attention to the fact that FJ didn't relate these three vessels to some fictious class, but that the ships were directly taken by the production personnel from FJ's book. The Star Fleet Technical Manual was already published back in 1975, while ST:TMP was released not earlier than 1979.
Just emphasizing some points of my statements...

------------------
"Alpha Centauri is a beautiful place to visit, you ought to see it" - Kirk to 1969 USAF officer Fellini, "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, can somebody owning the DS9TM tell me shuttle masses ? I believe the TM also gives some specs on various shuttlecraft.

------------------
"Alpha Centauri is a beautiful place to visit, you ought to see it" - Kirk to 1969 USAF officer Fellini, "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Type 10:
Length: 9.64 meters
Height: 3.35 meters
Beam: 5.82 meters
Mass: 19.73 metric tons

Armed with microtorpedoes, phasers, and shields.

Type 18 Pod
Length: 4.5 meters
Height: 3.1 meters
Beam: 1.8 meters
Mass: Unknown

Armed with limited phasers.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I mentioned this a few months ago, but I think the weights in the TNG and DS9 Tech Manuals are much too high. Using simple geometry, I calculated the volume of the TOS Enterprise to be about 200,000 cubic meters. Modern warships, which are our closest comparisons to Starfleet ships, must have a density of less than 1 ton per cubic meter or they'd sink in water. If Enterprise has roughly the same density as a modern ship, she can't weigh much more than 200,000 tons. Therefore, I think Franz Joseph's figures are better than the TNG figures, regardless of whether they are canon or not. I haven't figured out volumes for other ships, but I can't believe that Intrepid, which looks about the same size as Enterprise, is 3.5 times more dense. You would think that more advanced ships would actually become less dense and lighter as materials become stronger.

Also, the shuttlecraft and runabout weights seem a too low in comparison to the TNG ship weights. If we assume that Danube is roughly boxed shaped, its volume is about 1700 cubic meters. But since its weight is only 158 tons, its density is about 0.09 tons (i.e., 90 kg) per cubic meter or about 1/10 that of water. Same with the type 10 shuttlecraft: its volume (assuming a box) is 188 cubic meters, but its weight is only 20 tons. Its density is again about 100 kg per cubic meter.

A possible explanation for this discrepancy (very dense capital ships and very airy shuttlecraft) is that capital ships and shuttlecraft must be constructed in very different ways with very different materials and equipment. An alternative explanation is that whoever thought up these figures doesn't know what they're talking about.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, big ships have huge and very dense warp coils, tons of deuterium, and all the stuff for life support. So it would make sense that they be considerably denser that smaller ships. The shuttles have a very short range and don't need nearly as much stuff as the big ships. But you are right about how low the shuttles are. I think they just make up numbers that sound good. After all, do you think they would sit down ans spend hours and hours trying to get a reasonable close density, or one that sounds good.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um... Modern-day maritime ships have to float in water. Starships fly around in space. Unless you get really close to something fairly massive, the effects of gravity in space are negligible. Therefore, there's no reason to make the ships light.

Plus, as mentioned, the starships have very different components. For one thing, they're made of tritanium and duranium, which could easily be heavier than the stuff used now. Plus, the hulls might be thicker, to withstand warp speeds better, not to mention any particles that might get through the deflector at normal speeds.

------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there should be that much difference (a factor of around 30?) in the densities of large and small ships. They both have a lot of the same components (if the shuttes are warp capable) that should only differ in relative size or in relative amounts.

But of course there are reasons to make ships lighter. Just because they're operating at warp speeds doesn't mean we can completely ignore mass and force relationships. Even at warp speed heavier ships should take more energy to move than lighter ships.

TSN: I don't understand your reference to gravitational effects here. Are you saying that since starships don't have to float we can make them as massive as we like?

Actually, I would expect seagoing ships to be more robustly constructed than starships. The forces exerted on your hull in the vacuum of space would probably be less than those exerted by water. Look at the lunar module, whose walls were made of foil: it would get ripped apart in either the air of the water. Hulls in Star Trek don't seem to be any thicker than those of modern ships. In Star Trek, you also have energetic shielding and structural integrity fields, which would decrease the need for strength in the materials used. The Sovereign class even does away with physical windows in some cases. Although we can't be sure what happens at warp, I don't think we've seen any indication that forces are so much stronger than those exerted by air or water.

By the way I'm proud to say I'm one of those dumb schmucks who's spent hours and hours trying to figure out how much a starship weighs. However, I can't say that the world is a better place for mine having done so...

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Masao: Well, not indefinitely massive. They have to be light enough that the thrusters can work on them. But the warp field (which, IMO, is also used to an extent at impulse speeds) makes it much easier to move the ship around, despite its mass. So it doesn't need to be as light (relatively) as sea-going ships.

Shuttles might be lighter, BTW, because they're designed to work close to planets, where there's more gravity than where stasrhips usually are.

------------------

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant the people at Paramount figuring out masses. They just make up something that looks good on paper. I didn't mean people around this forum. I used to be like that. But that was many moons ago.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Weight doesn't only affect ship movements but also affects construction. The materials have to move from whereever they are mined, refined, and fabricated. If they have to be boosted from a planetary surface rather than transported (by transporter), that's a significant amount of weight. Even if they are come from asteroids or other low-g bodies, you still have to move all that material to where you're constructing the ship.

Of course, thrusters would "work" regardless of the mass. Any thrust applied would impart some change in velocity, albeit negligable. The trouble is that the more the ship weighs, the more thrust you have to apply to create a given change in velocity. This is definitely an argument for making the ships as light as possible.

Now, if some variation of antigravity technology could be used to somehow negate the mass of a ship, then you wouldn't have to worry so much. Is this what you are thinking of when you suggest that warp technology is being used to help at impulse? That might work nicely.

Fructose: I know that you meant Paramount. I think Frank or someone mentioned a few months ago that Sternbach supposedly based the ship weights on those of modern spacecraft. Since modern spacecraft (rockets) are even less robustly built than modern surface warships and are filled mainly with fuel, I don't see how starships can weigh so much. Space probes are also flimsily built and don't have crew compartments. But I think that the established weights of Starships are way out of line (too high and too low). I think that we shouldn't accept these weights blindly and then try to rationalize Paramount's sloppiness. Now, if someone can actually show me how they calculated these masses, then I might be more willing to accept them.

------------------

Fructose
Member # 309

Hey, sounds good to me. Masao, you obviously have some gray matter between your ears (unlike some people around here).

------------------

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Masao: Warp technology, or merely subspace technology, is indeed used in impulse drives. The TNG Technical Manual says:

During the early definition phase of the Ambassador class, it was determined that the combined vehicle mass could reach at least 3.71 million metric tons. The propulsive force availabole from the highest specific-impulse (Isp) fusion engines available or projected fell far too short of being able to to achieve the 10 km/sec2 acceleration required. This neccessitated the inclusion of a compact space-time driver coil, similar to those standard in warp engine nacelles, that would perform a low-level continuum distortion without driving the vehicle across the warp threshold. The driver coil was already into computer simulation
(...) and it was determined that a fusion-driven engine could move a larger mass than would normally be possible by reaction thrust alone, even with exhaust products accelerated to near lightspeed.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

That, and it probably stops time dilation at impulse speeds, which is also a good reason to have it. :-)

------------------

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

No, it doesn't stop time dilation. The TNG Tech Manual has a chapter about relativistic considerations, in which is told that during normal missions, a starship may not go faster than 0.25c when on impulse speed, to keep pace with Federation timekeeping matters. If that static warpfield would stop time dilation, there would be no reason for such a rule.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps