Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Question about Jupiter Station

Author Topic: Question about Jupiter Station
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rick Sternbach stated that Jupiter Station's saucers were made from old starship saucers that could no longer stand the stress of warp travel. My question is, just how long does it take to stress out a ship? The reason I ask is because there are an awful lot of Excelsior and Miranda class ships still in service, apparently flying at warp speed frequently, yet Jupiter Station's saucers look to be a relatively newer design.

BTW, this is my very first Flare post. Hi everybody!

Mark Delgado

------------------
Captain Tenille: Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had.
Homer: And you're like the father I never visit.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Welcome to Flare...I'll wait for someone to point out the misspelling in your name so the Babylon 5 fans can yell at him/her.

As for your question...maybe the saucers were exposed to unusual conditions (on all those long-range missions etc.), or they were just faulty to begin with.

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"And as we all know, 454 Okudagrams equals an Okudapound." - Rick Sternbach

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which I think is lame anyway that it'd have to be contructed from starship parts instead of just building all new original ones.

Lesson learned: Italics don't show up well in status line.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - On that annoying Tripod server.

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited June 12, 2000).]

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recycling old parts would save the time and cost of building new ones. Why do people refurbish buildings when they could just tear it down and build another?

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, the trials and tribulations of being a newbie...

Frank: Actually, I meant to use the Dukhat from B5 instead of the Dukat from DS9. Hope I haven't made any enemies.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know, that was my joke. But, this being a Trek forum, some people might not realize that.

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"And as we all know, 454 Okudagrams equals an Okudapound." - Rick Sternbach

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't like the idea of their using actual saucers, either. Especially since the station parts were probably completely radially symmetrical (at least in shape), while the saucers wouldn't be, due to the stuff on top, and the spot where the neck connects. I'd guess the engineers who created the station simply based it on the Ambassador saucer design. Perhaps they even had the parts built at the same facilities that produced the Ambassadors, because the assembly of the spaceframe and such would be easier.

Oh, and the first time I glanced at that name, I thought it said "Duckhat"... :-)

------------------
"Are you alright? You sure? 'Cause you just went through a wall."
-Detective Drycoff, Gone in 60 Seconds

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited June 12, 2000).]

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think anything's wrong with using old Ambassador saucers from decommissioned vessels. It spares some time. And if you remove unnecessary equipment (engines, mission-specific devices), it will work just fine.

BTW, why would spacestations be symmetric? The Internation Space Station (IRL) isn't symmetric too, as weren't the Mir and Skylab.

------------------
"Alpha Centauri is a beautiful place to visit, you ought to see it" - Kirk to 1969 USAF officer Fellini, "Tomorrow is Yesterday" (TOS)

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least we know why there aren't many Ambassador Class ships around

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

bonecrusher
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey does anybody have pictures of the Jupiter Station???

------------------
"I Got two words for you.. S*uck it!"-DeGeneration X
Oh Hell Ya there back!

Bonecrusher
http://members.xoom.com/smartiee

IP: Logged
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited June 14, 2000).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps