Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Valiant NCC-20000 and IL&M

Author Topic: USS Valiant NCC-20000 and IL&M
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Years ago, I saw a documentary that was done at IL&M. In the documentary, there was a ship named USS Valiant NCC-20000.

Now, in 2000, I have the address for IL&M and I would like to confirm the existence of this ship.

I would appreciate suggestions on the format of the question I would need to ask to get the confirmation.

Thank you.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this isn't answering your question, but do you remember what the ship looked like? Was it one of the known classes or something totally original? Did it at least look similar to one of those Excelsior study models?

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had a discussion about this before. It's supposed to be the Oberth class ship seen at the end of ST:Generations.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That makes 3 ships named Valiant, and most likely that Oberth Class Valiant is still up and running unlike the Constitution and Defiant Class...

------------------
Cigar Girl- "Would you like to check my figures?"

James Bond- "I'm sure that they are very well rounded..."

The World is Not Enough

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it doesn't seem all that likely that Starfleet would name the Defiant class ship "Valiant" if the Oberth class ship continued in service.

There isn't a direct timeline contradiction if we say that the Oberth class ship was destroyed soon after 2371, and the Defiant class vessel christened sometime after the re-launching of the Defiant herself.

And Oberths *are* like potato chips for all sorts of space monsters and other enemies - once you pop one, you can't stop.

Of course, the Oberth could also have been peacefully retired - NCC-20000 would be the lowest rego in service in the DS9 timeframe, lower even than the ancient Miranda ships in the 31000 range, or the 42000 range Excelsiors (the 14000 range ones didn't make appearance in DS9 AFAIK).

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An appearance, no. A mention or 2, yes.

As far as reuse of the Valiant name goes, I'm sad to say it's completely viable. "Generations" took place about 2/3rds through 2371, SD 48650.1. 74210 Valiant is listed as having been launched SD 49456.5, or about halfway through 2372 (which would put her being launched 18 months AFTER Voyager!!).

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps