Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The LaForge Maneuver?

Author Topic: The LaForge Maneuver?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was looking through Decipher's website and I came across a card for the ST CCG that featured the LaForge Maneuver. It was about the scene in "The Arsenal of Freedom" where LaForge takes the E-D's battle section into the upper atmosphere of Minos Corva to expose the defense drone so that they can destroy it. Is this maneuver special enough to go down in the annals of history as the LaForge Maneuver? We have the Picard Maneuver, which had never been done before, and then there's the Riker Maneuver, but correct me if I'm wrong, that would only be useful in an area similar to the Briar Patch. But I'm thinking that the LaForge Maneuver has probably been performed prior to "The Arsenal of Freedom". Thoughts?

------------------
"When you realized that your website is your business and your software can't handle the traffic, that was an epiphany."
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited June 21, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the card, BTW

LaForge Maneuver

------------------
"When you realized that your website is your business and your software can't handle the traffic, that was an epiphany."
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it was supposed to have been performed before, then I'm sure the writers would have said that in the show. And usually risky maneuvers get a name after they are done. There's an aerial maneuver called the Immelmann where you do the first half of a loop and then roll over at the top. It was made by a guy named Immelmann during World War One and was a very risky maneuver at the time. But he used it to get behind planes going the other direction and higher than him. He shot down a bunch of planes, so it became famous. It's not used as a fighting maneuver anymore because with new technology yo never get that close, but you learn it in pilot training. (It's not that hard to do now days.)

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never really thought that it would be something very ingenius or new and imaginative, but, uh, if they say so...
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Wesley called something like that a "Yeager Loop". Are there more names for the maneuver, or is this a TNG writers' invention? From the script of "First Duty":

WESLEY
(demonstrates with
hands)
The ships begin in a diamond slot
formation. They climb and loop
backwards at a steep angle... at
the peak of the loop, all five
ships flip over and accelerate
in a new direction.

Boris

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they made that up. It's called an Immelmann. You can look it up in the dictionary. I just did. The guy's name is Max Immelmann and lived from 1890-1916. (He got shot down in WWI.) There's no maneuver named after Yeager that I know of.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Been there, done that.

It's actually the Kirk Maneuver, as used against the Romulan cruiser by the legendary James T. Kirk. Force the cloaked adversary to enter a gaseous area (in that case a comet's tail instead of an atmosphere) and you'll see it. Like finding an invisible man by pouring paint or flour over him.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps