Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » USS Princeton (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: USS Princeton
Grapeape
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The picture of Marcus Nee displaying the damaged model of the USS Princeton is amazing! However, it doesn't exactly match Bernd's damage schematics of it on his site, as far as the ship's profile is concerned.While the saucer does indeed seem to be the small oval type used on all the other Wolf 359 classes (going by window, bridge, and lifeboat size) the engines seem disproportionally large - they look like large Galaxy-type engines, but shorter versions of them. Also, the secondary hull looks like an Ambassador and a Galaxy type mated together somehow. Also I'm not sure whether it has a "neck" at all, or where the third engine is, because if it really has one after all, it isn't visible. Just my 2 cents. Any ideas? Anyone?

------------------

IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, Grapeape, that's not Markus Nee. That's Greg Jein, and that's the original studio model.

------------------
The Juno Sci-Fi Messageboard

Basill
Ex-Member

I am amazed more people are not talking about it on this forum. I also noticed the larger nacelles. I didn't think they looked disproportionately large I just thought they were wider or more flattened than the average galaxy era warp engines. I think it looks kinda cool that way.

I can easily see part of the third nacelle under the secondary hull. Greg Jein's hand is between the secondary hull and the engine. I really like the design (especially the saucer) even though I am not fond of three nacelled ships.

My only question is; where did the fellow who provided the model image and the damage schematics get all the details that were not visible in the picture and not in keeping with the fact files? He seems to have updated the fact file profiles with information that is not evidenced in the Greg Jein photo. He got the photo from the exhibition guidebook, so I assume he saw the ship in person. Does he have more images of the ship, is it all from memory, or is it a meld of the fact files information with some personal choice memories?
I would love to know more about other details of the underside of the saucer and secondary hull.

Basill
------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

[This message has been edited by Basill (edited July 02, 2000).]

spyone
Ex-Member

Um.

What picture?
Where?
Huh?

Did I miss something, or is there a lot of assumed knowledge in this thread?

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out Bernd's site, Spyone....

My feeligns are mixed on this. On the one hand, I really love that tri-engined Niagara design...but on the other, I never thought we'd find out if that was the real design or not, so I went ahead & made my own Merced-class design based on the general layout of the Fact Files Niagara picture.

Oh, well....since the Niagara's have t'start somewhere before 28473 (I chose 24724) & I started the Merceds at 30095....I'll just have it be a derivative design or something. It's different enough to warrant it...

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited July 18, 2000).]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great, on this pic it's NCC-59804 and the Fact Files schematic says NCC-58904. And then there are some differences in design.

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited July 02, 2000).]

Yakaspat The Trekker
Member # 355

- posted      Profile for Yakaspat The Trekker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Bernd has nicely put the answers to your questions on one page. Thought this link might help, for the unenlightened.
http://www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/articles/wolf359.htm

Enjoy!

Lance
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

------------------
TheTrekker's Officer's Bible: A Concise Review of the Starfleet
http://thetrekker.homestead.com

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, where did they get all these Ambassador parts? The bridge is the bottom of the Ambassador bridge, placed backwards, with a Galaxy bridge, also backwards.

Also, the phaser stripes also point to a cross between the Ambassador's small strips on the saucer and the Galaxy's single long strip. Also, I believe the nacelles sit farther back from the saucer then in the Fact Files pic. Notice no shadow cast on the saucer by the far nacelle.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Grapeape
Ex-Member

You're right 359! The Niagara class IS some kind of weird Ambassador/Galaxy hybrid. The bridge is exactly as you've described - didn't notice that before. Also, the nacelles are Galaxy types, with a section "chopped off" to make them shorter. And, as far as I can tell, what I thought to be an Ambassador/Galaxy combination secondary hull is in fact simply just an Ambassador-type round hull with the third engine below this...maybe. According to Bernd on his site though, he says the Princeton has only two engines, but I think that's the third engine below the secondary hull. Can anyone clarify this?
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grapeape: Bernd said that only two nacelles were visible in the screenshots, not that the ship had two nacelles.

The Fact Files diagram is also very misleading in terms of the actual size of the ship. With that Ambassador secondary hull, we are led to believe that the ship is as large as the Ambassador class, and with nacelles as large as the Galaxy class nacelles. Looking at the photo, however, we have better clues, such as the bridge size and the window arrangements, which make the overall size of the ship much smaller.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The saucer isn't very Ambassador-like...look at the detailing. As for the secondary hull, it seems more like the New Orleans's.

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"People are buried however they choose to be, apparently. Unless you've never written your will, in which case your body is shipped to Meltakron V and reanimated to serve as a robot in their yttrium mines." - Simon Sizer

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the secondary hull is clearly round. The way his hand is holding it indicates it's round. The New Orleans has a hull like the Ent-d.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think one thing differentiates this model from most of the other Wolf 359 ones: apparently, Greg Jein had access to the studio molds of the E-C and the E-D, while Ed Miarecki built his ships out of scale model kit parts. The Princeton has an obvious Ambassador secondary hull, even though AFAIK none were available in kit form back when "BoBW" was filmed. Also, the hull and the other components seem bigger than the usual 1:1400 scale models would allow.

I don't see any obvious shortening in the nacelles. One should note that the nacelles of the New Orleans are lenghtened, instead of all the others being shortened.

Also, I'm not convinced Masaki Taniko's renderings actually show any more detail than the photograph reveals. Instead, I think he drew "damage" to the front parts of the ventral nacelle and the secondary hull to indicate that he could not see these parts in the photo, and thus couldn't show them in the drawings without misleading people about the correct shapes of these parts of the ship. (The underside of the saucer in turn is not shown "damaged" in the front view, because that would ruin the picture since one couldn't see the true extent of the real damage - so here Taniko goes by the existing FF picture...)

All right, what is the size of the ship? We can't very well do a complete deck count from this angle, and the only parts that could be interpreted as common with known ships are the warp engines. But are they common with the Galaxy class, or the (unlenghtened) New Orleans class? Or did Greg Jein have a specific nacelle size in mind that falls between these two, and is common to the Princeton and his other model, the Firebrand (which would look rather out-of-scale if her single engine was a full Galaxy one)?

Timo Saloniemi

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited July 03, 2000).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd have to say it's smaller then a Galaxy but larger then a New Orleans, judging by the size of the windows on the saucer and the raised bridge platform.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masaki says he remembers from the exhibition that the eflector and the shuttlebay were blown off.

The secondary hull might be a modified Ambassador hull. I think the Ambassador model is about the same size, and was built at about the same time, so maybe two of them were built.

I noticed the seemingly flattened nacelles too, but I'm not sure about it. They might just be standard Galaxy nacelles. I think the ship is about the same size as an Ambassador, over 500m long. The window distances seem to comply with full-scale Galaxy nacelles.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps