Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A slight kitbash idea

Author Topic: A slight kitbash idea
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the Dominion War, I think that Starfleet after a battle goes through the debris to look for salvagable ships and parts. For instance lets say that Miranda A had its roll bar and warp nacelles destroyed. Miranda B has most of her primary hull destroyed but majority of the roll bar and the warp nacelles are intact. They take the these nacelles and roll bar and place it Miranda A. Thus increasing the repair rate of this ship and bringing a ship back to the front lines.

I do not support the theory of complete kitbashing like it is supported in the DS9 Tech manual. If you can place parts of a Excelsior class on top of anaother then you can use those parts to replace the ones to put it on the ships that are specifically designeed for those parts. Not like those wieird Intrepid Maquis hybrid.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The do that in real life too. There was a C-141 that had a really bad landing somewhere, I can't remember where, but it wrecked one side of the plane. They left it at that base for a long time until one day another -141 semi-crashed and messed up the other side. They figured they could just cut and paste and have a whole plane. They did and that plane was flying around for quite some time.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it may have flown around for a while, but I sure wouldn't have wanted to be in it... *L*

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

spyone
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The USS Wisconsin (US NAVY, not Starfleet), is the longest Iowa Class battleship because it haad to have its bow replaced after a collision in the late 40's. The bow on the Wisconsin was part of the unfinished USS Kentucky, and makes the Wisconsin 15 feet longer due to how it was attached.

This idea is hardly unique to the military, too.

------------------
You're a Starfleet Officer. "Weird" is part of the job.

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! Take for example, when I found a bird with a broken wing... Instead of taking it to the RSPCA, I just found another bird with one wing and stuck the two together! *Grin*

------------------
"chocolate cherries allamanda" - Datura, Tori Amos

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Wisconsin's bow came from the uncompleted Kentucky.

In fact using the savlaged parts does save more money than to rebuild it. I don't think the air force would let something that was crashed and fixed without an inspection. So it would be safe enough to be in it.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know a guy who built himself a pickup truck out of two trucks, one that had a crushed front and one that had a crushed rear, and it works fine.

The Magellan Venus orbiter was built from spare parts of other probes. So, I think, were several other probes, none of which failed. (as contrasted to the Mars Polar Lander and Climate Orbiter, both new designs)

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, all this 'kitbashing' done in the military goes through all sorts of inspections. And parts are swaped out all the time on planes. It's not that big a deal.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps