Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Malinche

Author Topic: The Malinche
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if anyone has already figured this out, but I've found the namesake of the Malinche. Somebody's probably already said this but anyway, Malinche is an Aztec slave picked up by Cortes on his way to conquer Tenochtitlan. She served as an interpretter for Cortes and was eventually baptized with the name Dona Marina. It was in a US history book. Her name eventually evolved into malinchista, the Mexican word for traitor, go fig.

------------------
"I just want to set the record straight: I thought the officer was a prostitute"- Homer Simpson

[This message has been edited by USS Vanguard (edited July 12, 2000).]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the Fact Files say that too.

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I got a friend in SoCal who's a Mexican immigrant..he signed on the night "For The Uniform" & asked me if I knew the genesis of the Malinche's name. When he told me, he added that "Malinche is basically considered a traitorous bitch in Mexico, because after she was given to Cortez, she switched alleigances & actually helped the Spanish conquer the Aztecs." For this, she's been enshrined in the same "hall of villainy" as Vidkun Quisling, Mata Hari, & Benedict Arnold.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Traitorious bitch 'eh? Wonder if I should put that under Named after 16th-century Mexican princess who was originally a slave given as a peace offering to the Spanish conquistador by the Tabascan Indians. for the USS Malinche on my Excelsior-class page.

------------------
"Cenus volunteers injured in the line of duty, sadly no one knows how many."
- The Daily Show.
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps