Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Shelly Class?

Author Topic: The Shelly Class?
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone figure out what type of ship the Shelly is supposed to be. NO CLASSIFICATION DISCUSSINGS PLEASE!

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You realize, of course, that it's impossible to discuss the classification of a ship w/o having a classification discussion...

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Matrix could be referring to the class of the ship, and not to the classification of the ship.
The ship's function is unknown. This kind of ship is seen once and no more.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I heard it was a Thru-Deck Carrier for Perigines.

I don't know what a thru deck carrier is but someone explained to me that in some schematics of the Shelly it had bays fore and aft and the "planes" are stored in the hull.

Before i heard that explination i thought they landed on the engineering hulls top "deck"

[This message has been edited by Brown_supahero (edited July 12, 2000).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can only speculate that either the ship is fighter carrier like some have suggested or a multi-pupose ship similar to the Nebula class.

I didn't mean the class but if Fact Files or ST. Magazine has it that's always good. What I mwant by no classification discussion is by saying that "How do you know if the classification of battleship to Starfleet means te biggest and the best?" type discussions.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason for the "through-deck carrier" speculation is that there is a shuttlebay in the front. The concept of a through-deck carrier is that there are shuttlebay doors in the front and back, and the shuttlebay extends from one to the other, the entire length of the deck. The shuttles, fighters, &c. can fly in one end, and they can fly back out on the other side w/o having to turn around.

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Akira was intended as a thru-deck carrier, and most probably so is the Steamrunner. I remember someone mentioning ideas like troop-carrier or a cargo ship of somekind (with the secondary hull being detachable).

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited July 13, 2000).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was probably my idea. Since the nacelles are connected to the saucer hull and the impulse engines are too, they already form a complete starship. The rest would act as a cargo or troop transport container. I envision that this very ship type -unlike the other ships in the DS9TM- might be a real kitbash, that is, re-assembled from components of decommissioned Excelsiors.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The troop ship idea and indeed the name Shelley both came from Mark Nguyen. See my web page http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/misc.html for quotes from Mark's original usenet post.

The Through Deck Carrier idea doesn't work because the front shuttle bay is sat on top of the secondary hull. The shuttles would have to enter the (hypothetical) rear bay travel through the bulk of the scondary hull and then go up to reach the forward bay. That's not through deck at all - it has a nasty bottleneck at the elevators to rise up to the launch bay level.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

I agree that it is a multi-purpose ship with the secondary hull being changable. However I hate official kit bashing with a passion (with the exception of Nebula, New Orleans, Miranda, Constellation, and even the Cheyenne becuase these ships don't even look like kitbashed ships they look like they were designed to look like they are) I do not think that Starfleet would spend time to rebuild new ships from existing parts. I think that they would use those spare parts as replacement ones for the ones that were damaged in a battle.

I think (I read this somewhere but I can' remember) that those Constitution type nacelles were placed there after the Transwarp was failure. The prupose was that the Shelly class would have been Transwarp troop carrier but when Transwarp was failure it would have been to costly to refit them like the Excelsior's so they installed Constitution's instead.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Steve: Why would they need elevators? Who says there's a floor right under that shuttlebay? They might be able to fly through the shuttle deck, and simply turn upward and fly out the doors.

------------------
"If I wanted your opinion, I'd call you up in hell."
-Ozzy Osbourne, "Tomorrow"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually? I rather remember the "decktop" FWD shuttlebay as being the deflector, with the "real" FWD shuttle doors (of a Constitution refit type) in the usually "deflector hole."

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's right! The deflector was replaced with a contsitution type shuttlebay door.

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In some fan generated pictures it was...

I've yet to see any screenshots of the actual ship which look like that. The shuttle bay is clearly a shuttle bay not a deflector and the deflector hollow is always in shadow.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps