Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Madison? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The Madison?
Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
just for fun i activated on my StarTrek First Contact DVD the subtitles at the battle against the borg! For my surprise in the subspace chatter a for me unknown ship was mentioned.... the madison.
quote "This is Commander Luxi on the Madison..."
Does anyone know something about that ship? Class?

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the Manson, and the commander is called Luxby. That's what is generally accepted. Unfortunately, no class is known. It isn't even listed in the Encyclopedia. BTW, the chatter also included the 'Natchez'.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

[This message has been edited by Alpha Centauri (edited July 14, 2000).]

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure?Well, i think i have to review it again.But the subtitles state it as Madison....
Never mind! I think the name Manson sounds somewhat better.

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still can't figure out why they would name a ship so that the first thing that comes to your mind is Charles Manson.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe its Marilyn Manson, so that way it would make sense...,um, it could, uh, maybe be, wait no, uh. Never mind

------------------
"I just want to set the record straight: I thought the officer was a prostitute"- Homer Simpson

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Undoubtely the subtitles say Madison...

'Madison' might be the right name anyway, most subtitlers have access to the original script. But until it is not proven that it has also been the case here, I'll stick to Manson.

------------------

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Charles and Marilyn Manson comes to mind, but being Star Trek, it's probably named after some other Manson. Probably a Manson in our future who did a great deed to Earth or the Federation.

And it's not Madison despite what closed captioning would say. You clearly hear Manson. Same with Luxby.

I remember watching that same scene and near the end you clealy hear Lexington, but closed captioning said Lexicon.

Closed captioning is great, but sometimes you can't trust it.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there is a Manson, a Natchez and a Lexington in First Contact?

Maybe the Manson is named for Sir Patrick Manson. http://www.britannica.com/bcom/eb/article/3/0,5716,51863+1+50623,00.html

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Nemesis
Member # 255

I could hear Lexington very clearly ("22 dead on the Lexington"). The Captioning of the First Contact DVD said Madison, but Manson could also be possible (maybe a mistake at paramount captioning center). I never heard of the Natchez.

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it is the very last word in the chatter.

Don't hold me to that, I'm not sure.

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about Shirley Manson of Garbage!?!

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You think they'd name a ship after her?

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Alpha Centauri
Member # 338

Or what about the famous Captain Manson, who saved Earth from an attack by spaceborne army ants with his USS Deathmatch NCC-278 back in 2178 ?

About the Natchez: it is not very clearly heard, but some old thread in this forum dealt with it. There was at least agreement on the mention of this particular ship. I identified it, but it kinda sounds like 'nacho'.

A thought: the naming of the USS Manson is most likely some sick in-joke by one of the writers, referring to Charles Manson. Or they are just Marilyn Manson/Garbage fans...

------------------

Nemesis
Member # 255

Maybe they said both!.....Just a compromise:
They said Maniac Mansion!...I mean it is Lucas after all!!!
Well, maybe not so a good idea.

BTW how do i get the smileys?
------------------

http://www.seventhworld.de.vu

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited July 15, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited July 15, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it's very likely the writers could have put it in to refer to Marilyn Manson. For one thing, it isn't heard extremely clearly, so they could have said almost anything. And, if TPTB are going to name ships after Anime movies and songs by little-known Xian rock bands, they'll do almost anything. :-)

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps