Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Klingon BOP warp nacelles? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Klingon BOP warp nacelles?
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was working on some Romulan ships of my own and looked to extant ships for design ideas. When examining the Klingon bird of prey, I couldn't quite figure out where the nacelles are supposed to be. They aren't out at the ends of the wings, where nacelles are usually placed in Romulan and Klingon designs. Most of the machinery at the center looks to be associated with the powerplant or impulse engines or both. So where are the nacelles?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, many ships don't have clear cut nacelles. Especially Cardassian Galors which may have something like "internal" nacelles. I've always assumed that the center fuselage of the BoP was where they kept the warp drive

------------------
"I just want to set the record straight: I thought the officer was a prostitute"- Homer Simpson

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The warp engine on a Bird-of-Prey is in the back of the ship between the wings.

------------------
"Census volunteers injured in the line of duty, sadly no one knows how many."
- The Daily Show.
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure? I thought that is where the impulse engines are. If that is where the warp nacelles are then were is the impulse engines?

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the nacelles are indeed along either side of the 'fuselage' where the 'wings' start.

I think the impulse engine is at the rear along with the nacelle's "vents" I guess like the Defiant...

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, the warp field generator is just sort of "in there someplace" between the wings? Can it be identified on the surface? Is is a paired structure (like usual nacelles) or is it a large midline structure? If it is a midline structure, this is the only canon appearance of such a midline nacelle on a ship (I think). Are the nacelles perhaps the two paired humps back there? Did the designer forget them?

------------------

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don' think a designer would forget to put nacelles on a starship that is supposed to take on Starfleet's ships when it was designed in the 23rd century. Maybe the impulse egines are somewhere in the wings.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Freedom just has the one nacelle in the middle...

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the Freedom might have two rows of nacelle coils in the one nacelles 'casing'!?!

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't think that would make much of a difference in the warp field, so I doubt it.

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think there's ever been a canonical or even reliably semi-canonical answer to the BoP warp drive question. Perhaps something in the Fact Files or the Magazine?

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen an Okudagram reproduced somewhere in a book that showed a line of warp coils down the centreline of the ship, corresponding to that big glowy thing at the back. As for impulse... *shrug*

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

I forgot about Freedom, but I was thinking more of a nacelle buried within the hull rather than on a support.

Anyways, has anyone examined this BOP cutaway poster up close? Of course, it's non- (pseudo-, quasi-, semi-, para-) canon, but it's a lisenced product, at least. http://www.scipubtech.com/bofp/index.htm

The picture on the site is too small to see any details.

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at the very top of the aft hull, you can see three objects of purple and greenish-yellow color, arranged in a line from bow to stern. They look very, very much like a cutout view of a warp coil. If we suppose that there are further coils aft of the ones we see, then the cutout diagram perfectly matches the Okudagrams that show a single line of warp coils in the aft centerline.

As for those Okudagrams... I guess they could have been drawn as early as for ST4 already (the first Okuda contribution of them all), or then only added for TNG Klingon eps, or even for DS9 "Blood Oath". In any case, one is reproduced in the Reeves-Stevens "Making of DS9" book. I gather the ship in question was one of the typical "midsize" BoPs, although it would be fun if the smallest BoPs had one row of coils while the bigger ones had two or three...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Look at the red glow - then look either side there are some sort of 'Klingonesque' rectangular 'nacelles' protruding out the back... they look like Klingon nacelles - retangular and thin. Also the nacelles could be like the Defiant - with the red glow at the back the only evidence of the nacelles... like the blue glow at the back of the Defiant nacelles...

I think even though there are nacelles and a red glow, the impulse engine is DEFINATELY that middle part...

------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps