Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A Galaxy class refit

Author Topic: A Galaxy class refit
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Galaxy class is so large with so much room. What if we get rid of all the luxury items and extra qarters for the civilians? This ship could be a heavily armed transport or even better use that much room to put more powerful shields and weapons on baord. The warp propulsion could be enhanced.

The Galaxy class is so large in fact if the weapons that are used on the Sovereign could be more powerful than the Sovereign.

What do you think?

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(Ahem)....ZHORLORD!!!

I'm sorry, but this is the kind of shit that makes me vomit. Horribly beweaponed Starfleet ships, designations of "battlecruiser" & "battleship" & the like...it's WRONG.

Once AGAIN: Starfleet is primarily an EXPLORATORY agency. Just because we CAN blow the shit out of them doesn't mean we DO. Yes, OK...maybe in time of war, some O/D systems are enhanced...but afterwards, the need for exploration is still there.

I need more caffeine..

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I meant was that if Galaxy would be upgraded like what I just stated above. I didn't mean I wish they did. Similar to the Galaxt refit in All Good Things. I am aware that in peacetime Starfleet are explorers. But in time of war they can fight.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galaxy Classes are designed for exploration. I would think that the first major refit would replace the computer cores to accept bio-neural circuts, add bio-neural technology, enhance the holodecks and add holo-emitters on every deck, add an EMH if there isn't one already, update the aux. vehicles, replace or update the sheild grids and torp launchers, install the latest sensors, and change the carpets...

------------------
The world is not enough, but it is such a perfect place to start my love
And if you're strong enough, together we can take the world apart my love

Nemesis
Member # 255

- posted      Profile for Nemesis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really like the idea.....wait, don't shoot at me....let me explain! I must say the idea of having families aboard starships was totaly wrong....putting them in jeopardy...and so on.
But what do you do with all the free space in the Galaxy after the families have been "removed"?
I think Starfleet should have enough battlecruiser in resort positions, but the Galaxy is definitly not one of them.It IS an explorer,because there would be too much space in the hull for a battlecruiser only, i think thats why they left most of the new Galaxy-Class ships unfinished during the Dominion-War!

------------------
This is how i prefer the borg... in pieces!!! -- Janeway in Dark Frontier

Seventhworld, the new SciFi-Project
http://members.aol.com/fallenwalls
Soon to be featured StarTrek Nemesis

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr. Sternbach has often stated that the Galaxies seen in the war were much as you described: largely bereft of comfort and armed to the teeth. It's probably a pretty easy process to refit them back and forth, so there's really no need to develop a standing force of variants.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

kiltedbear
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for kiltedbear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9TM stated when Starfleet assembled a number of Galaxy-class spaceframes for use against the Dominion, that they were launched with 65 percent of their internal volume empty. I would surmise that now hostilities with the Dominion have ended, they could recall those ships back to the yards so that they could be properly fitted out internally and can serve as full-fledged Explorers. However, I don't think that families should be allowed onboard. Even though the war with the Dominion is over, Starfleet should not be letting their guard down. To put noncombatants aboard a ship that may be called into a potentially hazardous situation is extremely dangerous.

------------------
I do what the voices in my head tell me to do

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does that mean instead of placing schoolrooms and barber shops onboard Galaxy Classes, they should have more science labs and a second Stellar Cartography? Maybe, but still if families and non-personel are no longer allowed onboard, the ship would still be a Galaxy Class minus the schools and barber shop. And that's roughly 200 people less onboard.

------------------

bear
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for bear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
boring.....if I was crewman on a long voyage right about now I would be looking for somethin heavy and sharp to throw at all of you. I honestly think that you people standardize starfleet way too much with all your this class that class, type X phaser are better than type 9 technobable. I think it would be best to think of interstellar travel in terms of sailing vessels rather than todays modern navys.

Ok...now I am talking out of my arss

------------------
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Stargate/9268/index.html

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

Lets say that the Galaxy class after the war was left without families just becuase it is too dangerous to have families on board. What do you d with that mush space? I know that most of it will be filled with more science equipment. But shouldn't Starfleet use some of that space to enhance maybe the shields or the warp engine assmebly if not the weapons?

I love the Galaxy, the idea of living with my family while being a crewmember of the ship would be great. Instead of seeing my family every few months or even years.

------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

I doubt if Galaxy Classes upgraded to the kind of shields that the Enterprise-E or the Prometheus have it would take up a lot of space. Maybe a bit more but not enough to fill up at the least two decks of crew quarters. Although abblative armour sounds nice...

------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree with bear. Far too many people on this board can't get it into their head that in Gene's galaxy during peacetime, the vast majority of Federation starships happily explore the final frontier, and while they have adventures aplenty, don't come to the brink of destruction every day. Keep in mind that the Enterprises were always exceptionally endangered, and that even still they were only at serious risk a handful of times each season. If families volunteer to come on board and it isn't so dangerous that letting them onboard is sheer negligence on Starfleet's part, (and, I might add, thanks to their presence they make the crew more productive), then why not?

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps