Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Star Cruiser

Author Topic: Star Cruiser
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

What is the definition of star cruiser? I have heard this term applied to the USS Valiant ("A Taste of Armageddon") and the USS Hathaway NCC-2593 ("Peak Performance").

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alternate term for a starship of basic cruiser specifications. Like calling a frigate a blue-water surface combatant.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But not all water is blue...

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nor a green ooze color...

------------------
The world is not enough, but it is such a perfect place to start my love
And if you're strong enough, together we can take the world apart my love

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not the bloody buggery color of the water that matteres...the point is that the term "blue-water surface combatant" could mean frigate, destroyer, cruiser, carrier, battleship....& so "star cruiser" could be a cruiser, an explorer, a frigate...

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the "star" part in the designation could be taken to indicate a ship capable of interstellar travel. Starfleet would not use such terminology, since all its relevant ships are warp-capable - but the primitives of Eminiar or the insufferable Kolrami could be using this nonstandard terminology, being more familiar with sublight non-interstellar space warfare than Starfleet is.

So Constellation class would in Starfleet parlance be a cruiser of some sort (a light cruiser, hopefully, if the Ambassadors are officially heavy cruisers and appeared shortly after the Constellations). Zakdorns would add the "star" modifier, but probably wouldn't change the original designation. A Saladin would be a star destroyer, then . A Galaxy might be a plain explorer even for a Zakdorn, since there would be no "non-star" explorers.

Even the early Starfleet could have divided its ships into "starships" and "spaceships" along some unknown lines (a subject of another discussion), so that only "starship class" ship classes and types would get the "star" modifier. TNG-era Starfleeters always speak of starships only, though, and not of spaceships any more. So perhaps an old Constellation could have had the modifier in its designation, but a TNG-era cruiser would never be called a star cruiser.

Timo Saloniemi

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And not to forget the S.S. Aurora (it was in some TOS episode), which also was called 'star cruiser', I believe.

So 'star cruiser' is not necessarily Eminiarian (what a word!). I think it's Starfleet's TOS-era term for 'explorer' (because of the 'star'). Far-fetched, but logical in my point of view.

------------------
Advertisement in the United Federation NewsPADD, SD 53675:

"Now for sale at your local dealer: Antares class vessels, as good as new! They can shapeshift! Everybody in the galaxy has one! Now for only $800!"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it means long term exploratory or combatant ships. I think the Stargazer was once called that. I'm not sure though. If I am right about the Stargazer then I am right again. Becuase the Stargazer was assigned to long term assignments.

------------------
It is better to walk the path of the devil than to be in the path of the devil. Though it still might not be the right path.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just being pedantic: The color is actually important. "Blue water" refers to sea-going ships. "Brown water" was used in Vietnam (and maybe in other wars) to refer to boats operating in costal areas and along rivers. In star trek a similar distinction might apply to interplanetary (intrasystem) vs interstellar ships.

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Member # 343

That's true...which is why I specified "blue-water." The point being "blue-water"="star" & "surface combatant"="cruiser."

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps