Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starship Recognition Manual

Author Topic: Starship Recognition Manual
Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Interesting tidbit I noticed while updating my Reading List FAQ with some new cover scans:
http://www.lastunicorngames.com/the_games/crossovers/body_crossovers.html

It looks like LUG is coming out with "The Starfleet Starship Recognition Manual, Vol. 1" due out in Q3 2000.

This will be interesting. Has anyone heard details about it yet? Any comments on LUG designs/speculation in general?

------------------

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, the content might not be that great, but It might have new pics and some new okudagrams!

------------------
"Don't hide your tears. They were sent to wash away those years."--Creed

The web page is not completed yet, but come by and check it out. :)
Quantum Threshold

REDESIGNED!!!!!! Avalon Sector

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That construction manual looks interesting.... And what's with the Intendant's clothes there...?

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't hold your breath. LUG is about a YEAR behind in their production schedule (the Construction manual was originally set for Jan. of this year), and pretty much all of its projects are stalled due to two major factors:

1. Paramount is dragging their heels approving the various games and supplements

2. LUG was recently acquired by Wizards of the Coast (Of the Magic card game fame, and who recently purchased TSR and with it, the Dungeons and Dragons franchise), and controversy is raging over whether they're going to convert all the current Trek games (playes with 6-sided dice) over to WotC's standard, which is played with 20-sided dice (like D&D 2nd edition)

Wait and see. Personally, I really REALLY hope they don't change, as I've just gotten used to the 6-sided style and like it very much, plus it's push back the games MUCH farther for rewrites.

------------------
"Nobody knows this, but I'm scared all the time... of what I might do, if I ever let go." -- Michael Garibaldi

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I could be wrong, but I didn't think LUG had any special access to information we don't have. Won't these books mostly be stuff-we-already-know + stuff-they-pulled-out-of-their-asses? :-)

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*cough*Canon nazi*cough*

Having information that we already know in a handy reference book is helpful. And the information "they pull out of their asses" as Tim so eloquently put it is interesting most of the time.

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Preed, Titan A.E.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then again, do we really want our current knowledge summarized in the graphic style of "Price of Freedom"?
Miranda looks like that?

IMHO, starship recognition manuals are best based on painstakingly researched and detailed pictures of the studio models and their appearances in the episodes. If the pictures are off, then the manuals aren't much good either. The text part can give the Miranda sixteen gatling disruptors and make the Sabre transwarp capable, and see if I care. But if the length of an Excelsior's nacelles is off by two centimeters in the picture, I'll yell bloody murder.

Timo Saloniemi

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that even more or less canon/official publications such as the DS9TM and the FF have only few new material, I don't expect too much. Will it be canon stuff anyway? If the graphic quality is as good as what I've seen from "The Price of Freedom", I must say even I as a bloody amateur can do that better.

Actually, the construction manual sounds more interesting. It might have many suggestions, although I probably won't agree with everything. The same goes for the time travel book.

BTW, that's not the Intendant, but "our" Kira, when she first was in the Parallel Universe and had to dress so to please the Intendant...

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the forums over at http://www.trekrpg.net/Board/ubbcgi/Ultimate.cgi and you'll find lots of posts by the book's author Steve Long. He says that the first SRM will contain lots of TNG era starfleet ships, including several made by LUG for the SRM. The artwork hasn't been decide on yet, it's unlikely that they will use the same artist as they did for Price of Freedom as they acknowledge that he didn't have a feel for starships. Steve Long would prefer that each ship had at least five views given (dorsal, ventral aft, forward and side elevations). Future SRMs will cover other species and other eras.

The first publication in this range will be Spacedock, which will contain ship consturuction rules, an advanced ship-to-ship combat systems and several ships from the main TNG powers.

LUG have a year's worth of publications lined up so any switch over to the WotC d20 system won't happen for at least that long, and probably longer. Delays in LUGs schedules are mostly Paramount's faut, though lately the senior staff have been tied up with paperwork due to the takeover.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Cammodude
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weather or not it is cannon, is really of no concern to me. (unless they totally F*** up all of the well known ships such as the Galaxy and Constitution classes.) All I know is that for years, (AND I DO MEAN YEARS) I was hoping that someone will be taking after STAR WARS: The Essential Guide to Vhichles and Vessels and make a Star Trek equivilant. Plus, that how-to-model-starfleet-ships book looks good too.

------------------
"If I knew you were coming I would have baked a cake...learned to sing....stop me Gage!"
--Aurther
The Journeyman Project 3

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I was referring to Black Knight's comment that it might have new pictures and new Okudagrams. I would think anything "new" would, in fact, be stuff that was made up. I'm more interested in Okuda's theoretical book that'll have the W359 ships and such in it.

------------------
"I just measured him. He's about 21"."
-Chris Martin, 14-Jul-2000

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So it will take quite a while until the book will be available?

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having playtested "Spacedock" (AKA, LUG's big book o' starships) and given extensive notes to Steve Long, the developer, I can say that he does a pretty decent job. Since I'm not a gamer, I didn't actually "play" it, but I read the whole thing. Steve does more than a decent job, in fact. The book is really good. I made sure he got as many of the stats right as possible, though I'm sure a few slipped through here and there, it's the nature of the business. However, on the whole, I think the book will please the tech fans in us, as well as the gamers... though there's not a whole lot of completely original material. Unfortunately, I can't get into specifics because of the non-discolure agreement playtesters have to sign. I can tell you that Steve found Bernd's site quite useful, so you know he's got class. =)

-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps