Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Scout Ship in "Starship Mine" TNG

Author Topic: Scout Ship in "Starship Mine" TNG
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have any info on the scout ship that the terrorists were to evacuate the Enterprise on in the episode "Starship Mine" TNG? It was seen briefly and distantly at the end of the ep right before it's demise. It appeared to have two nacelles above the main body but it's quite hard to make out.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's the same ship as the Lysian fighter craft used in TNG, only turned upside down.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any pictures?

------------------
"I think I speak for everyone here when I say, 'Huh?'."
- Buffy

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Fact Files made a rendition of the ship. I know I saw it at Jim Stevenson's Starship Schematic Database.

------------------
Captain Tenille: "Oh, Simpson, you're like the son I never had."
Homer: "And you're like the father I never visit."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Instructions:

1 a.)Either Click on this link and jump to step 3, or...
1 b.)...alternately, right-click on the above link and select "Open in New Window" and continue on to step 2.

2.)Ensure that new window is selected and loading.

3.)Tilt head 180 degrees. For best results, perform a handstand or hang from the ceiling above your computer bat-style.
(NOTE: DO NOT tilt monitor 180 degrees. This is cheating)

4.)Mentally ignore text claiming this vessel is Lysian. This ought to be easy if you are upside-down.

5.)Marvel.

(IMPORTANT: Once you have completed all five steps, ensure you have reset your head orientation and active browser window to their previous configuations to avoid later complications.)

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited July 22, 2000).]

Captain Cabac
Member # 354

- posted      Profile for Captain Cabac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look on this site:
http://neutralzone.future.easyspace.com/AlienOther/TerroristScoutShip.htm

------------------
Thomas Schmid
"Captain Cabac"
Leiter Ulmer Trekdinner und der Neutral Zone
E-Mail: [email protected]
Neutral Zone URL:
Ship Database URL: [URL=http://neutralzone.future.easyspace.com]http://neutralzone.future.easyspace.com

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does the design come from Honest Harry's Hot Terrorist Vehicles & Getaway Wheels or something? The Klingon mercenaries hired by Verad to help hijack the Dax symbiont in DS9 "Invasive Procedures" used the same ship type, only they flew it the way the Lysians do, the nacelles canted down.

Perhaps Starfleet should have standing orders to shoot at sight all vessels of this design, just in case?

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. Helpful info all.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It had a blue engine glow - maybe this means it was Federation??

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quite possible - the Feds are the ones most likely to have nacelles on a small craft (or any craft or ship for that matter), and also the likeliest to operate a ship painted grayish white. I don't remember if "Starship Mine" actually said out loud that the ship was a Federation scout, though.

In any case, the ship seems to be in civilian use only, never seen in Starfleet hands. Why would a civilian vessel be called a "scout"? Wouldn't "yacht" sound more likely? Or are these vessels actually utility vehicles used for civilian exploration, and not just recreational or purely transportational vehicles?

Timo Saloniemi

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, the old "old Starfleet design used by civilians" theory rears its head To be honest, it does look very Federationny. And I'd speculate that Starfleet probably just disposes of scoutships after about ten or twenty years, as I doubt there's much point giving them major refits when you can just build another more advanced one. If that's true, then I imagine the discards wind up in civilian use. They're small, useful, and presumably easy to manage and maintain.

------------------
"When I was in prison I was wrapped up in all those deep books. That Tolstoy crap. People shouldn't read that stuff. When we read these books what purpose does it serve in this day and time?"
-Mike Tyson

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course other races also have nacelles, namely the Romulans and the klingons, although your right, it is very likely that a grayish-blue-white colored ship is Federation or at least Human in origin.

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps