Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise-D at Utopia Planitia (Relativity) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Enterprise-D at Utopia Planitia (Relativity)
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the 'Ournal' spacedock in the lineage of the 'Moo-Moo Pie' Spacedock?

(Note 'Moo-Moo Pie' is a completely arbitrary designation for the spacedock. As is 'Ournal' For the sake of understanding, please designate when something is Fandom. IE: Made Up.)

------------------
"Ultra Magnus is Undeniably Fun!" David Stevens, New York Magazine.
"Total Complete excitement from start to finish!" -WPIX-TV, New York
"This isn't a thrill ride, it's a rocket..." -Richard Caves, Time Magazine.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? Oh, I forgot. This board is populated by canon nazis... Please forgive us followers of fandom

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The mushroom spacedocks from the Calendar are strange - the 'double mushrooms' are in that position in Relativity... The Akira and Galaxy ships are in the EXACT same positions - but they've taken out the 'double mushrooms' and put in two single mushrooms!

Why!?!

The first pic up there has the E-D but an exact similar scene in Relativity has the same ships except where the E-D is there is that Excelsior being built... that one with the Resgistry everyone tries to work out. 4xx11 or whatever.

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that the Calendar picture should be ignored if possible, because of the way it complicates things...

As for the boxy wireframe docks, I think there are two distinct types nowadays, with a third relegated to the dusty shelves of historical archives:

1) The no longer used design of ST:TMP and ST2, with swinging working lights, anchoring beams, gangways and whatnot and with a vertical wall three "squares" high.

2) A CGI version of the "Generations" dock, which was originally a physical model made by removing the bells and whistles from the ST:TMP model, removing one layer of "squares" from the vertical walls to create a lower and thus wider-looking structure, and adding the bulky docking structure at the top and the pavilion-like structure on the port side wall.

3) A CGI version which reinstates the "three-square" vertical wall but also incorporates the bulky docking and pavilion structures of the "Generations" dock.

There is nothing to say that versions 2 and 3 have to be of the same width and just different height. Version 3 could be significantly smaller than version 2 - we only see Excelsiors and Mirandas in version 3 in the real UP scenes, while Akiras and Steamrunners are in version 2 box docks and Galaxies only in McKinley-style spider docks.

Only the noncanon Calendar shots place Galaxies in version 3 (and Sabres in the spider dock)...

Then again, I think the Voyager herself was in a version 2 dock and almost filled it, which IMHO was an absurd scene anyway - the window rows in the pavilion structure clearly indicated a scale completely different from that of the starship!

Timo Saloniemi

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::Enjoys the pretty pictures without analyzing every detail::

Which is really the whole point, it's not meant to stand up to the intense criticism or issues of canon. Besides, this is the Voyager department, do you really think they concern themselves with such trivial issues as continuity and canon?

I was looking at the pics from the calendar I have on my computer and I noticed if you put 2 of the images together they form one large image. If you put the one with the E-D, Akira, and Saber and line it up with the one with the Galaxy, Akira, and spacedock. How many UP scenes in the calendar are there? So far I know of 3, the two mentioned, and the one with the Galaxy in drydock. I think there's at least another, since the spacedock image shows part of a drydock station.

------------------
Thornbird: "I'm Major Robert Thornbird. And you are?"
O'Neill: "Captain James T. Kirk of the Starship Enterprise."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited July 31, 2000).]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hobbes, there are only two UP pics in the calendar. The cover and the center. Black Knight just divided up the center pic into two jpeg images so they wouldn't be so large.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really... I guess that makes sense. I really need to find that calendar.

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well reguarding continuity - I was just reading "The Continuing Mission" and it was quoted by someone - Robert Justman or Michael Piller - that Star Trek is not a show that people put on in the background. It is intensely watched and has a clever audience who NOTICE these things. I think it shows something about the show and its viewership - when such details are adhered to AND when annoyingly overlooked. For the producers to say - oh well happily override existing continuity for the sake of a story - that is them sticking a big old thumb in the viewers eyes, and basically saying that they are now making Trek to be shown as 'background TV' not as an intesily followed work.

Andrew

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it actually wasn't me who divided up the images. I think they were at http://www.lcarscom.net/
I know these came from the calendar. But I was just thinking of the possibility that they (as 3d artists) wouldn't neccessarily redo the entire scene. But, I guess the really big spacedocks weren't at Relativity. So this is definately non-cannon. The ships are, but not the scene.

--------------------

Quantum Threshold--Redesigned!
Avalon Sector--Redesigned!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's canon with one "n", Kyle.

------------------
"Fragile. Do not drop"
--posted on a Boeing 757

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited August 01, 2000).]

Hobbes
Member # 138

I believe continuity is an extremely important factor. In fact, I recall reading somewhere that it's one of things Gene Roddenberry was proud of most. I was making a sarcastic remark towards the Voyager department (Braga) view on it.

------------------

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But of course. caNon

--------------------

Quantum Threshold--Redesigned!
Avalon Sector--Redesigned!

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the way, the class name "Ournal" for the mushroom-type Spacedock is not completely fandom-created.

It also appears in the 1996 Star Trek Space Ships calendar (April) with the designation given as "Ournal Class" and even a registry of NCC-S-1.

The text also states that there are a total of 12 of them. I should point out that I have the German edition of the calendar. An English version might be different. Perhaps Bernd knows something about it?

------------------
groovy baby!

[This message has been edited by Austin Powers (edited August 08, 2000).]

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's pretty cool, I mean the registry system. Maybe different starbases have a different letter, so the "office building" type might be NCC-D-7 or whatever. Too bad its all non-canon...

------------------
"Homer, you're dumb as a mule and twice as ugly,
if a strange man offers you a ride, I say take it"-Abe S.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, there is one tidbit that is at least semi-canon: the shuttlecraft attached to space station K-7 in "Trials and Tribble-ations" was labeled NCC-K-7, even though this was of course far too tiny to see in the episode itself. Since shuttles so far have always been labeled with the registry of their mothership, this would indicate that the station's registry in its entirety was NCC-K-7. How fortunate that this agrees with the NCC-S-1 theory...

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.