Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Niagara vote (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Niagara vote
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why can't starships be ugly and illogical?

Just wondering.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difference between FASA or LUG and FF is that the latter claims to be official. Agreed, they could start making up things and telling us they're authentic, but they obviously didn't. I don't have the issue yet, but when I asked for Niagara ship specs, Steve told me there was really nothing, only the drawings (in color and the usual black-green/yellow/blue... schematics). They surely know how to fill four pages without telling anything. If they had tried to make the FF more interesting, they would have invented some specs as well. The other ships don't have specs either, for the sake of consistency (or to veil the inconsistency).
Lindsly
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Star Trek: The Next Generation companion lists the following kit bashed designs in "The Best of Both Worlds" 2-
1. Challenger
2. Cheyenne
3. Freedom
4. New Orleans
5. Niagara
6. Rigel
7. Springfield

I accept the word of the companion as canonical.

IP: Logged
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The reason I find this most implausable is that the FF diagram uses an Ambassador body. Where would the VFX people have gotten that? The actual model is still intact.

The Niagara could be a kitbash, sure. Or it could be a study model. Or a salami with nacelles if the VFX crew were getting bored.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Motormaster: "Megatron's in trouble!"
Dead End: "Who cares?"
Wildrider: "It looks like Starscream's defeated him!"
Dead End: "So?"

Lindsly
Ex-Member

Shadow: Do you have confirmation that there was only one Ambassador Class model in existence in 1991? Could there have been two models-a study model and a model like the USS Enterprise? If I understand what the Encyclopedias are conveying about the New Orleans class model, a study model is made before the actual model for filming is built. Since there was no close up of the USS Kyushu, only the study model was made.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There could've been a study model, but I doubt they would tear it up for BoBW.

BTW, is there anything in the junkyard scenes that looks anything like the FF diagram?

------------------

Lindsly
Ex-Member

Hard to say. There were ships that remained largely intact-USS Kyushu, USS Ahwahnee, USS Tolstoy (BTW, could anyone explain to me when a ship is destroyed or not destroyed? I believe that when a starship like the USS Melbourne or the USS Valley Forge has about 70 to 80% of its hull intact, this ship is not destroyed. She is just heavily damaged. Yet she can be restored to full operational capacity within a period of time. However, I see sites showing the USS Valley Forge destroyed or the USS Melbourne destroyed. How are these ships destroyed so that they are no longer usable?); there were ships that are junks of metal-USS Buran. The USS Princeton could be one of these. BTW, has anyone conclusively identified the starships that appeared on the Enterprise D's screen? I know that there was a starship on the bottom of the screen that didn't seem to have a Galaxy Class type saucer. Could this be the USS Princeton?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*remembers something*

*runs and sticks BoBW II tape in*

Is it just me, or is THAT the Niagara?!

The scene where Shelby says 'Kyushu, Tolstoy, Melbourne', there is that big ship looming at the top of the screen. Everyone thought it was the Nebula. But doesn't it look strangely like the Niagra, turned upside down? Possibly with different pylons on the nacelles, but it looks strickingly farmiliar! Is this really it?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*remembers something*

*runs to get BoBW tape*

*drops jaw*

Is THAT the Niagara?!

In the scene where you can see the damaged fleet from the viewscreen, that big ship on top looks like the Niagara, turned upside down, with the exception of its nacelle pylons. Is that really it?!

------------------

Lindsly
Ex-Member

My answer is yes. Go to site:
http://www.uni-siegen.de/dept/fb12/ihi/bs/startrek/schematics/cheyenne/wolf359-1.jpg. Bernd has a picture of the scene in question. A rough map-

* Unknown ship

*USS Ahwahnee

*USS Kyushu

*USS Princeton

*USS Enterprise
*USS Tolstoy

*USS Buran

Lindsly
Ex-Member

The system messed my map up.
The idea of the map was that the USS Enterprise traveled past the USS Buran, past the USS Tolstoy, into the heart of the battle field. The viewscreen shows the USS Kyushu to the left, an unknown ship to the center, the USS Ahwahnee to the left, and the USS Princeton above the Enterprise. BTW, Mike Okuda wrote that the Nebula Class starship wasn't really visible in the episode. This was one of the factors that led to the filming of the USS Melbourne as an Excelsior Class ship.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Here's the map:

* Unknown ship

*USS Ahwahnee

*USS Kyushu

*USS Princeton

*USS Enterprise
*USS Tolstoy

*USS Buran

------------------

[This message was edited by The Shadow on March 25, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

And the image you wanted is here. I can't see any ships below the Kyushu, though...is this the right one?

------------------

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

YES! Thats it, in the upper right! You can see two nacelles, but the one nacelle is situated in the center of the model, slightly forward of the other nacelle. The nacelles also appear to be larger then the saucer

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Er...that could be anything...I always thought it was the Nebula...

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps