Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Karemman ship variants

Author Topic: Karemman ship variants
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there one or two variants of the Karemman freighter? The Fact Files and the Encyclopedia show a ship with two long prongs at the bow, and with barely noticeable "cheek" fairings. However, DS9 "Shadows and Symbols" has a Karemman-like ship in the ragtag fleet blockading the hospital moon against Romulan shipments, and it lacks the prongs but has pronounced "cheeks".

And now I found at "ST in Sound and Vision" this Fact Files or The Magazine Dominion ships comparison chart which clearly has the prong-less variant tagged as the Karemman freighter.

Are the old FF and the Encyclopedia completely in error, and the model has always been prongless? Or was the model altered when CGId for "Shadows and Symbols", like the Bajoran freighters were subtly altered? Does anybody have screencaps from "Starship Down" that would prove the existence of the prongs? The badly framed photographs in the Fact Files do not provide conclusive proof.

Timo Saloniemi

------------------

[This message has been edited by Timo (edited July 31, 2000).]

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good question. I just watched "Shadows and Symbols" and noticed the differences as well. The engines were missing that "see-through" part in the back and were situated farther forward. I tried modifying the standard Karemma picture to make a Bajoran 'version' for my own starship chart.

------------------
Hey fella, I bet you're still livin' in your parents' cellar
Downloadin' pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar
And postin "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er
I should do the world a favor and cap you like Old Yeller
You're just about as useless as jpegs to Helen Keller

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another question is why do the Bajorans have Gamma Quadrant tech? I gather that they traded with the Karemma for new ships and either got a "different class" or altered the ships for Bajoran needs.

Andrew.

------------------
"Neil says hi by the way" - Tear In Your Hand, Tori Amos

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Karemma could have been shipping their merchandise using their own ships instead of just Ferengi ones. When the wormhole became intraversable in the fourth season, some Karemman ships probably became stranded in Alpha. The captains may have decided to sell either their services or their ships to the highest bidder, which in this case happened to be Bajor.

The Bajorans have bought Gamma warpships before - we see them operating the Wadi vessel as a passenger liner in "Rejoined" and as Bareil's VIP transport in several episodes where he visits the station, and the scavenger in "Indiscretion" also uses one in the Badlands. (Never mind that the same ship also served as the Xepolite freighter of "The Maquis" - it was filmed from such an odd angle there, and in such a huge scale, that it was virtually unrecognizable as the same design.)

I'd wager that Bajor suffered a major shortage of ships after the occupation, and took whatever it could get (case in point, they hired Kasidy Yates and SS Xhosa). Most of the triangular ships we see are probably abandoned Cardassian vessels, since we see ships of those designs in Cardassian hands as often as we see them in Bajoran use. And Gamma warpship captains in the first season probably always found themselves bombarded by offers for their ships from both private and corporate Bajorans and the Bajoran goverment.

Timo Saloniemi

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I can't think of one occasion where the triangular Bajoran ships were seen in Cardassian usage. You sure, Timo?

------------------
"When I was in prison I was wrapped up in all those deep books. That Tolstoy crap. People shouldn't read that stuff. When we read these books what purpose does it serve in this day and time?"
-Mike Tyson

Timo
Member # 245

Cardassians have used the following ships in a cargo-carrying role:

*The dedicated "Groumall" design (Groumall herself, convoy ships in "Rules of Engagement", evacuation ship in "For the Uniform")
*The Hideki (freighter, "Profit and Loss")
*The Pakled ship (supply ships, "The Wounded")
*The Merchantman (civilian freighter, "The Maquis")
*The nacelled Bajoran (convoy ships, "Rules of Engagement")
*The nacelle-less Bajoran (convoy ships, "Rules of Engagement")

Of course, it may be that the convoy of "Rules" did not consist solely of Cardassian ships, even though it brought supplies to Cardassians. Somehow I still doubt Cardassia would have accepted Bajoran ships if it could field ships of its own. And the color scheme of the nacelled triangulars is "Cardassian" enough...

Timo Saloniemi

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps