Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Stargazer (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Stargazer
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Picard's model is made of wood? That could explain the yellowish color...

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: Resurrecting old threads:
Someone once said that time was a predator that stalks us all our lives. ;-)

And the MM toy is definetely no aged plastic. It was sold that way on purpose. (Whatever the purpose).

I'd say Picard just liked his model that way. We should be glad it's not lime-green or pink, shouldn't we?

------------------
RIMMER [as Ace]: "Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That ship is not the Stargazer, it has NCC-7100 on it and no name. Maybe its the first ship he was on or his last command before the Enterprise-D. As for the colour, its probably just unfinished.

------------------
We attack tommorow, under cover of daylight!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, come on. It is obviously the Stargazer. It has the 7100 registry on it because

a/ It was built before the "real" Stargazer was built (although the model makers intended all along for it to be the Stargazer design, and Paramount, although the almost went with the refit constitution design, eventually changed their minds).

b/ It is partially contructed using bits from a couple of AMT movie Enterprise models. Look at the engines. They are the same, no? Therefore, it has 7100 because they just used the decal sheet from those models.

c/ You see "Ncc-7100" clearly in, what, one episode?

Honestly. You'll quite happily buy that Riker's an idiot who said a completely wrong registry number for the Yamoto, but the idea that a tiny little model represents something other than the Stargazer because a tiny little registy decal is different?

Although I always found it interesting that for the one episode where Picard sees the Stargazer, he has a refit contitution model in his ready room. Tsk. Yes, I know why it was there. Don't tell me. (I wonder, if they had gone with using the Enterprise-A model, would that refit constitution model have stayed for subsequent episodes?)

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
c/ You see "Ncc-7100" clearly in, what, one episode?

In "Who Watches the Watchers?"

Frank has a good picture on his site

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe it is obviously supposed to be the Stargazer. The decal sheet explanation for the model registry is likely true. It is probably painted yellowish so as to show up better on screen.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't accept that Riker was an idiot and said the wrong registry for the Yamato. :-)

I'm thinking Picard simply bought that model at a rummage sale, or something, and didn't change the registry on it.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the rearranged decals are an homage to the rearranged decals from the earlier AMT kit used in the "The Doomsday Machine." Wasn't that ship also called "Constellation"?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. But this model existed before the class was called "Constellation". They only did that so they could dub over where people said "Constitution" in "The Battle" (it was filmed that way, then they decided to use a different ship).

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're saying that the model for what would eventually be called the Constellation class was built even though they were planning on using a Constitution class for the Stargazer?

I don't believe that's right. The way I heard it, they filmed the dialouge using "Connie" and planned to use a Connie for the Stargazer, but when they got to post production, they decided to build a new class and thus the Constellation Class was born. THEN the model was created for it and THEN the desk model started showing up in Picard's ready room.

Did I get something wrong?

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought that they were, ship models, were given to the Captains by the crews of those vessels. Plated in gold or silver, depending on how the crews felt...

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them

"...and I remain on the far side of crazy, I remain the mortal enemy of man, no hundred dollar cure will save me..." WoV

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The way I heard it, they filmed the dialouge using "Connie" and planned to use a Connie for the Stargazer, but when they got to post production, they decided to build a new class and thus the Constellation Class was born. THEN the model was created for it and THEN the desk model started showing up in Picard's ready room.
Did I get something wrong?"

Yes.

The Stargazer model was in Picard's ready room from Encounter at Farpoint. The only episode it isn't there is "The Battle", because Greg Jein had nicked it as a study aid while he built the full size model. Sternbach and Okuda (I think) where the ones who had always wanted the model to be the Stargazer, but the Paramount boys probably thought it'd be cheaper to reuse the Enterprise-A model.

Of course, this indicates a worrying lack of communication between the departments. The model makers thought they were using the Constellation model for the Stargazer, and the script writers thought they were using the Constitution model. Unless there was a significant amount of time between the shooting of Geordi's scene where he says "Constitution", and the shooting of all the ready room scences (which had the Ent-A model in them). Either that, or Greg Jein built the model out of his own pocket, then turned up on the Paramount lot, saying "No, you're not using the Ent-A model. You're using this. Take it. Here's my bill".

And, again, the registry number wasn't a homage to the original Constellation nicking the Amt Enterprise's decal sheet. It was the EXACT SAME THING! They'd nicked the AMT Ent-A decal sheet. Because it saved them money. And they didn't think that anyone would notice.

Although you'd think they'd have given the Constellation the registry NCC-7100, to be consistent, wouldn't you?

[This message has been edited by PsyLiam (edited February 14, 2001).]

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what that Constitution model was labeled, if it was labeled at all. Was it labeled "Stargazer"...

Anybody have any 'caps of it?

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

The_collective
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The interior of the stargazer was also similar to the one of the Constituion refit. If I'm not mistaken, it even had the same turbolift, bridge consoles and chairs.

Anyone have pictures of the interior of the Stargazer the bridge in particular?

IP: Logged
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there were two differences worth mentioning:

-the starboard turbolift was replaced by a curving corridor
-weapons were apparently controlled from the starboard side of the bridge, not the special "booth" on the port side (IIRC, we didn't get a good look at the port side at all.)

Still, the bridge looked very much like a ST2 style Constitution bridge, and rightly so, considering how the ships would seem to come from the same era and perhaps the same manufacturer.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps