Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Stargazer (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: The Stargazer
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Psyliam: Thanks for clearing that up. I'll have to go back and watch my tape of Encounter and see if I can pick up the model...

You've got to admire the creative department for going to that kind of detail before the series had really even gotten off the ground.

------------------
"You don't tug on Superman's cape.
You don't spit into the wind.
You don't pull the mask off the ole' Lone Ranger
And you don't mess around with Jim."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although there was a mcuh better reason why the Stargazer had a STII style bridge-set. It WAS the STII bridge set.

Kinda. The STI-III bridge set was used as the battle bridge. And the Stargazer bridge. And the Ent-C bridge. And the bridge of the Miranda class ship from Crappy Aging Episode. And the bridge of the pirate ship from Gambit. And the computer core from the episode with the Nanites. And about a million other things too.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just remembered something from the TNGTM. It says something about a yellow warp-stress visibility coating.

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a wagon.
The_collective
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: "-weapons were apparently controlled from the starboard side of the bridge, not the special "booth" on the port side (IIRC, we didn't get a good look at the port side at all.)"

It Seem that they cover it up. I take a picture of it from the startrek.com promo video. here's the link:
http://www.geocities.com/wwf_4_ever_316/StargazerBridgeLeft.html

Anyone got better pictures???

[This message has been edited by The_collective (edited February 16, 2001).]

IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's all we need to see... The Stargazer bridge takes the aft third of the move set bridge, ie. the part that we see as the E-D battle bridge in the first season, and complete it with the battle bridge set slightly modified to remove the doors at the foreward port. You can see the BB viewer at the front.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look at the yellow 'Stargazer'/'7100' model... its not just entirely yellow... the other parts have been painted their correct colours - the greebly bits... but the hull is just a yellow instead of the white/grey... maybe that ship could be the "mysterious ship of Picard's" from his missing years between his command of the Stargazer and his command of the Enterprise-D?

Andrew

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
maybe that ship could be the "mysterious ship of Picard's" from his missing years between his command of the Stargazer and his command of the Enterprise-D?

Pray tell, what is this all about?

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Basically, noone knows what Picard did from his Courtmartial after the loss of the Stargazer to his commission as the Captain of the Enterprise-D Supposedly there was about 20 years in between... I think.

Andrew

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite that much. Picard lost the Stargazer in 2355, and got command of the E-D in 2364. That's still some nine years of mystery.

Just before taking command of the E-D, Picard apparently met Tasha Yar while aboard a starship. A bit earlier, he had met Geordi LaForge while traveling aboard a shuttle. But that's pretty much all we know of his mystery years.

While we have no further datapoints of what happened to Picard in that time, we know what didn't happen. He didn't spend time with Beverly Crusher (since it's something of a recurring theme in early TNG that there remains much to be said between them, and contact after the death of Jack Crusher in 2354 seems unlikely). He didn't get promoted to flag rank and then demoted (or this would have come up during, say, "Coming of Age"). He didn't serve aboard a ship that would have had children aboard (he says so much in "Encounter at Farpoint"). And he did not establish a family he'd later tragically lose ("Generations" makes it clear that he's always been a swinging single).

Another ship to command is a possibility, as is a desk job or a stint at SF Intelligence cloak-and-dagger jobs, or a long SF Xenoarchaeology expedition.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Serving onboard another Constellation class could fit?

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too dull, I think. I can't imagine they just give out Enterprise's to anyone. Whatever Picard was doing, I'd bet it was pretty important and/or high profile.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a good bet that whatever he did on that assignment was what gained him the command of the Enterprise. After Harriman, I don't think Starfleet hands their flagship out to just anyone. Jean-Luc Picard had to be the best and the brightest to gain that command ... and he did.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.27 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with four eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"The candidate who slimed John McCain in the primaries and smeared Al Gore in the general election is now the president who pledges to elevate the nation's tone and bring civility to our discorse. Kind of like Michael Corleone brought peace to the mob by killing the heads of the other four families."
--Paul Begala, Is Our Children Learning?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I remember right, FASA had Picard taking some sort of desk job as head of diplomatic relations or something like that...or some sort of "temporary ambassadorship" or attach�. I think it was in his bio in their TNG 1st-year sourcebook. Probably wrong, though.

Another thought: For those 9 years, Picard could have been the Starfleet version of Marko Ramius, taking out & testdriving new ships. He may have been plankowner of both Galaxy & Yamato, helping to handpick whoever would get them in the end.

------------------
"You just push off....and the falling sort of happens on its own." ---Dave Titus

[This message has been edited by Shik (edited February 24, 2001).]

BRUTUS
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Picard's a model maker. If it's supposed to represent the Stargazer, I can surmise Picard picked it up in some shop that had starfleet models...since it's yellow, it seems to be more a display piece rather than a...miniature replica. Just like if you were to have a chrome ship or whatever...he probably got it from like the Franklin Mint of the 24th Century. So it's not the Stargazer...but that's what it represents to him.
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps