Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Earth ($$$, of course)

Author Topic: New Earth ($$$, of course)
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how about a discussion of the latest "spinoff show" of the Trek universe? The New Earth books, masterminded by Diane Carey to serve as a prologue to her "Challenger" exploits, seem to be of very high quality as far as Trek novels go. Heck, high quality, period. This bodes w�ll for the "Challenger" series, which I guess might well surpass Peter David's New Frontier in popularity. And there's plenty of technodetail there that warrants a closer look.

Spoilers galore await the careless reader.

$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$
$

A couple of major issues in the first six books first.

1) Colonization.

So this is how it could look like in the Trek universe. 60,000 people in 70+ ships, with livestock barges, industrial drones, huge dormitory ships, even a morgue ship and an organ bank. The end result is something different from the two-penny colonies we usually see, with a bunch of farmers in a single village. Pros and cons of this approach?

2) Olivium.

The mcguffin behind the books is an exotic "transperiodic", "transuniversal" element that, if handled right/wrong, releases more power than antimatter. Can the regular Trek universe survive the introduction of this stuff in the 2270s, or does Carey eventually have to write it out of the picture?

3) Gamma Night.

McGuffin #2, the radiation surges from a ballet of a neutron star around a black hole obscure all sensors for ten hours out of thirty. The physics seem sound, especially in book #4, written by the Oltions who earlier gave us warp-speed space whales and spinning-up of a tidally locked planet. Can we invent any other natural phenomena that would present similar plot possibilities? Trek meets hard scifi, and the two actually like each other.

4) Challenger.

The gadawful ship from the cover of book #6 might not be that gadawful after all. The cover doesn't do her justice - she's far uglier, and apparently has no Constitution parts at all. She began her life as the light cruiser Peleliu, with 80 crew - a ship unlikely to bear much resemblance to Constitutions. Incidentally, Carey also gives us Starfleet "cutters", also with 80 crew, and calls the Challenger a "composite frigate". Book #6 almost makes me buy the concept of building a starship (well, not really a starship in Carey terminology) in two weeks.

Then there are a billion small technical details that might be of interest. Book #6 is a surprise - Carey abandons her FASA roots and goes straight to the Sternbach-Okudaic faith, with technobabble 101% compatible with the TNG TM.

The various disasters, natural and other, that befall the colony also deserve some scrutiny. Are they plausible? Do they have implications?

Unlike some earlier Carey books, these feature likeable and complex aliens whose cultures also enrich the Trek universe. Any speculation on how they could be used in future "Challenger" books? These books certainly have potential of an useen kind. The Challenger is tied to a single location and a single mission pretty much like DS9 was, and the books probably will stay true to this initial premise more than DS9 did.

Timo Saloniemi

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Transperiodic" and "transuniversal"? What the hell do those mean?

------------------
"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino'! Me, Grimlock, bash brains!"
-Grimlock, Transformers: The Movie

Amadeus
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish they were cheaper. 6 books in a whole series at 6.50 each costs too much. 39 dollars for reading material. Yikes.

------------------
Proxima Centauri or Bust
[email protected]

IP: Logged
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stop complaining. I'd end up paying closer to $60 for those books.

------------------
"The kingdom of God is inside you, and all around you; not in a building of stone or wood. Split a piece of wood, and I will be there. Lift a stone, and you will find me."
-The Gospel of Jesus, Stigmata

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which, of course, is $39 American.

------------------
"What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad."
- Dave Barry

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you love the US?

Anyway I just bought the entire Frontier series and now there is another one? I hate it when that happens...

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

kiltedbear
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for kiltedbear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, is "Challenger" really worth reading?
Also, has anyone here come up with a set of possible schematics for this ship? I agree that the ship picture on the book cover is a tad on the ungainly (and ugly) side, but I for one would like to see more of this ship that just its underside .

------------------
"We did exactly what you would have done. We just did it first." - Lt. Cmdr John Sheridan

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You don't have to buy all the books to have all the fun - each is an independent story, and refers back to the events of the previous books. You'll probably get the biggest kick out of reading only books 1, 3, 4 and 6, which all take a different approach to the theme. Books 2 and 5 will then be backstory you only hear spoken about, which makes it all the more interesting. Basically, it really suffices to buy any single book, although of course some things are left open if you don't buy #6.

The Challenger schematic will be difficult to make, because none of the component ships used is a canonical or previously established design. Here are the specifics, anyway:

-Primary hull out of a Chesapeake class cruiser that only had a crew of eighty (and remember that Carey uses "cruiser" in the sense of "smaller than starship") - so it can't be anywhere as big as a Constitution saucer. It seems to be a saucer nevertheless, apparently with at least five decks. On the cruiser, access from bridge to sickbay was cut when decks 4-5 were compromised.
-Nacelles out of a Starfleet tender ship - not necessarily the usual LN-64 type.
-Warp engines inside the nacelles out of a Conestoga class dormitory ship - each huge Conestoga was equipped with two modular "mule" impulse/warp engines (capable of only warp 2, if we believe the first book), and apparently these could be taken off their housings and packed into the tender nacelles (where they can do at least warp 6).
-"Fanlike" pylons from a non-Starfleet ship, mounting the nacelles to the sides of the secondary hull
-Secondary hull probably from the cruiser, too, but both hulls feature added armor and plating from other vessels, in asymmetric patterns. Main powerplant or "dynadrive" from an alien ship, a Blood Plume.
-Some sort of very short neck between the hulls.
-An odd "top hat" of sensors atop the saucer.

The thing is capable of planetary landing (or at least takeoff), has decks 1-11 but no deck 7, and features in the secondary hull a shuttle hangar and a sickbay (whose location is in a bit of flux, though). And in the best of Starfleet traditions, there are no heads in the entire secondary hull. Crew requirements are estimated at 50-60.

The thing was dubbed a "composite frigate" (Scotty says a frigate is a compact multipurpose combatant, as opposed to bigger cruisers and specialized ships like destroyers, and I'm cool with that), isn't officially Starfleet yet (the crew is a conglomerate of mutineers and aliens), and is named "Challenger", no USS. The registry was something like NOV-91951-L, which is supposed to honor the shuttle Challenger - 51-L was the mission she was lost in, and 919 is how the characters (and possibly Carey) misremember the "registry" of OV-099.

Timo Saloniemi

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, you guys whining about book prices? Perhaps you've never heard of a wonderful little invention called a "library"...

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know of any library that stocks brand new books?

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh... I do. The one I work at... :-)

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Well none of the libraries around here stock brand new books :P

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*makes one of his rare appearances*
Sounds wierd and interesting.

As for book prices... I think over here it's �5.99 a book, which works out at, uh... about US$9.50 a book. Jeez... bring on the e-book revolution!

------------------
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps