Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » When did they enter service?

Author Topic: When did they enter service?
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone out there ever come up with a conjectural list of dates when the various starships entered service? I am working on the backstory of my USS Vanguard (the part with previous ships to carry the name)and am trying to use some plausible dates of service for a Daedalus-class and Miranda-class progenitor. Now a decommissioning date is easy enough. The date the ship entered service is a little trickier. So I throw it out to my esteemed colleauges for some expert opinions.

------------------
"I'm doctor, not a dragonslayer."

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Progenitor?

Miranda-2275-Present, from my favorite source: SotSF.

Daedalus-Hmmm, a couple of websites have this info, I think. I'm ntosure which ones, though.

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well maybe progenitor was not the best word to use. I am just looking for plausible service dates for a Daedalus class USS Vanguard and the same for a Miranda. BTW what does SotSF stand for?

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ships of the Starfleet, one of those non-canon books.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Vortex: "It just don't pack the punch it used to..."
Swindle: "Yeah, because we're out of energy, dummy."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong w/ "progenitor"? Seems like as good a word as any...

------------------
"I fart in your general direction!"
-John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daedalus class is easy. Between 226x and 2296 unless it was destroyed before the Daedalus class was decommissioned.

Miranda class is a lot trickier. It all depends on when you think the USS Miranda was commissioned. Did the Miranda class start out as a TOS like ship (see Surya, Coventry and Benning classes) or was it a movie type ship from the start? That puts a lower limit somewhere in the decades between 2230 and 2280.

Production probably ended in the late 2320s or early 2330s judging by the registries, but ships have continued in service right up to the present day.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Lindsly
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Identity Crisis: For the Daedalus Class, do you mean 2196? As for the Miranda Class, I believe the first ship of the class, USS Miranda, was commissioned after 2267. Most of the starships that are known from that year had a registry number below 1720 (Rf. "Court Martial", "The Doomsday Machine"). The first Soyuz Class starships seem to be operating as early as 2278. So the USS Miranda had to be commissioned sometime between 2267 and 2278-a period of about 10 years.
IP: Logged
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I meant 2196.

As for the Miranda, we don't know the registry of the USS Miranda. So how can we make any date assumptions based on date?

My essay: A speculative history of the Miranda class speculates an regsitry of NCC-1250 for the USS Miranda and a date in the 2230s.

I believe in the batch issue theory of 23rd century regsitries, only changing over to chronological issue in the 2290s.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Galen
Member # 72

I appreciate all the information. Now who has some guesses on the Akira class? I would speculate around 2350 give or take a few years.

------------------

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's wrong with Ships of the Starfleet? The Horszon, Daedalus class was lost in 2167, I beleive. I would put 2165 or 66 as the date for the Daedalus.

NO, NO, NO! The Miranda class was a refit. How else would you explain that stuff at the back? Why not just use a regular saucer?

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

Galen: My use of Miranda class vessels.

Miranda: Ships withotu the rollbar.
Reliant: Ships with the rollbar.
Avenger: Ships that are more curved than the Reliant.

Why is Constitution only used for Constitution, Bonhomme Richard, etc.?

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps