Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Challenger Vote

Author Topic: Challenger Vote
Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How many people accepts this as the Challenger Class Starship

God damn it suck's

* sorry for the typo

[This message was edited by Brown_supahero on March 26, 1999.]

[This message was edited by Brown_supahero on March 29, 1999.]

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You said Niagara, but the Title says Challenger... Typo?

That ship is commonly accepted as the Challenger, yes.

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is 'sort of' the Challenger. From what I know, the nacelles are actually from the Constitution class, made very short and with the nacelles on normally. I don't think there were any Constellation class model kits around during BoBW for them to make the nacelles like that

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Lindsly
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.
IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unless Okuda changes his mind and decides that the Rig., Fre., and Chal. did indeed have Const'n parts, I don't accept it.

------------------
"I fart in your general direction!"
-John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN, I'm elevating you to "moron" status. Okuda said that he didn't remember any Constitution parts being used. That doesn't mean he said they weren't used. It means HE DOESN'T REMEMBER.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Motormaster: "Megatron's in trouble!"
Dead End: "Who cares?"
Wildrider: "It looks like Starscream's defeated him!"
Dead End: "So?"

CaptSershek
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am of the same opinion as most of the people here, if I interpret it correctly. I accept that as the Challenger Class, not the prettiest ship in the fleet, but based on the websites I've seen and the discussions so far, it seems logical.

------------------
Remember when we used to be explorers? - Capt. Jean-Luc Picard - Star Trek Insurrection

IP: Logged
Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Galen. We need to get together with your scanner (since I don't have one) I have the Comic Book that this class is suppost to be in. Several nice views in fact.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://members.aol.com/captaincks/readyroom.html

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a screenshot of Wolf 359 (TV version) with a Constitution hull clearly visible. It could be the Challenger as depicted above, but there is no clear evidence. I will only accept it if there is a studio model image looking like this or a drawing definitely based on it (Fact Files, Encyclopedia update). Anyway, the similarity to the Constitution class does not agree with the 57xxx registries at all.

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

[This message was edited by Bernd on March 26, 1999.]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wouldn't be too hard to construct an explanation for that, though. For instance, that registry would place it right around the Cardassian War. Perhaps a few Challangers were commissioned, or possibly even recommissioned, to serve some specific purpose that other ships were unavailable for.

"We need some ships for a recon mission near Tholian space."

"Sir, most of those vessels have been diverted to the Cardassian border."

"I don't have time to wait around...*points towards a few Challangers floating in a repo yard* Are those spaceworthy? Slap some new registries on them and send them out."

Well, maybe not that exact scenerio, but you get the idea.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would they have put new registries on them? It would be faster to just leave the old ones there. And they wouldn't even have a reason to change them in the first place.

------------------
"I fart in your general direction!"
-John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should have been a bit more specific. I meant ships that had been decommissioned, meaning their names were now available for other ships. You could keep the old registry, of course, but that goes against tradition.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It showed up in some comic book. I remember drawing it in my little book of notes.
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay Captain Stark, next time you are in town, bring the comic book with you.

------------------
"I'm doctor, not a dragonslayer."

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was TNG, with Riker as a cadet on some mission that went wrong.

------------------
What bloke invented signatures?

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps