Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Ent-C actual fate

Author Topic: Ent-C actual fate
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a stupid little question that I think has already been answered on this very forum (but I can't find the reference anywhere). It's simply a detail that annoys me.

In "Yesterday's Enterprise", the crew of the alternate-universe E-D speculated that sending the E-C back to the year 2344 would lead to her valiant destruction, and thus to Klingons considering the Feds a honorable bunch and not starting a 20-year war against them. But this was mere speculation. And while the war was obviously averted and the timeline thus restored to something that roughly approximated "normal", we did not learn in that episode what really happened to the E-C after her return.

Now, it would be inconvenient for the ship to meet Romulans back in 2344 and report on them, when Starfleet apparently had no contact with Romulans between 2311 and 2364. So did the E-C have a chance to report her fate? "Yesterday's Enterprise" does not tell us if she did. "Redemption pt 2" should have more information, but this is a tape I did NOT acquire yesterday and watch sixteen times in the middle of the night . So perhaps somebody could tell if it was EXPLICITLY stated in "Redemption" that the E-C reported back on the Romulan attack (and that Starfleet actually received that report)?

If not, then it is possible that the death of the E-C was a complete mystery to Starfleet at least until 2364, while the Klingons did know the story of her brave end but simply did not tell it to the Feds... This would help preserve continuity. Also, if the fate of the E-C was not known, it would explain why Starfleet didn't name another ship "Enterprise" immediately in 2344 - they might have been waiting for the E-C to return (e.g. from a parallel universe, or from Delta quadrant, or from the distant past).

Timo Saloniemi

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what was said in 'Redemption', but I think it was something in the lines of the crew of the Ent-C being captured. The ship is most probably still destroyed, but some of the crew (including Tasha) managed to get out somehow.

------------------
Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. *And*, if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out!

- Commander Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Picard was shocked when he heard about the Enterprise-C in "Redemption", and I think that it was meant to look like no one knew what ever happened to the Enterprise-C, so the Romulans knowing would be a shock.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought he was just shocked to find out anyone had survived (been taken prisoner) I thought it was assumed the ship was destroyed w/ all hands.

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Basill
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After Sela shocked the hell out of everyone on the bridge, Guinan asked Picard what he knew about the Enterprise C. He seemed a little puzzled but did tell her that the Enterprise C was lost at the battle of Narendra III. He mentioned it by name. I would assume that the Klingons were the only providers of data to the Federation on the incident since it was their colony. That is why I think it is safe to say the Federation Government had no official contact with the Romulans in all that time. The two great figure heads of the Federation and the Romulan Empire had not spoken in decades but a number of "incidents" could easily occurred between the two cultures out in the boonies of space. Remember early in the first season, the Ent-D was prepared to engage in some kind of activity with the Romulans at the end of some episode (the episode plot actually dealt with some kind of distraction from the actual Romulan mission). I will have to look it up to see exactly which episode it was.

------------------
Just a thought...A grain of salt-season to taste-lather, rinse, repeat

IP: Logged
Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it was assumed "all hands lost" and the ship destoryed til Tasha's daughter pops up later in the 24th Cent.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the episode "Angel One"?

Riker and Tasha (Data, too ... maybe Worf) were down on the planet's surface trying to secure the release of Federation citizens, and some sort of sickness was incapacitating the crew aboard the ship?

I seem to think that was the ep ... can't be sure, tho

------------------
HowsaboutdemO's?

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. Worf was still aboard. Remember the loud sneezing? It was Riker, Data, Yar, and Troi on the surface. They were advised of a situation involving the Rommies. The USS Berlin was sent, but Data thought the Berlin didn't have enough firepower to engage the Rommies in a battle should one happen, so Data came back aboard, took command because Picard had already been infected the illness, and took the Enterprise to meet the Rommies.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't think I've seen that episode since it aired ... 13 years ago ... oh my god !!

Worf sneezing ... LOL

Least I got the episode right

------------------
My roomate is a stupid, often-drunk, country-listening, non-cleaning, non-choring redneck ... kill him now ...

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may have been at least 11 years for me, since a later run perhaps or even the first? I do vaguely remember it however.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so the apparent contradiction between the E-C encounter and the statement of "no contact between 2311 and 2364" can be resolved from two directions. First, the E-C need not really have reported on the Romulans (thanks for the clarifications re: "Redemption"!). And second, "no contact" may have just meant "they won't talk to us", even though distant ship-to-ship encounters may have taken place now and then, "Angel One" included.

Nevertheless, "The Neutral Zone" sure looked like the first time the Romulans were actually suspected of entering or crossing the Neutral Zone. Earlier incidents like "Angel One" may have been false alarms, with the Romulans approaching their side of the Zone but never actually entering the Zone and breaking the treaty.

A random note re: "Yesterday's Enterprise". Both Tasha Yar and Lt Castillo seem convinced that the alternate E-D could easily defeat the four Romulan warbirds. Tasha also thinks the E-C might have a fighting chance because it is more maneuverable than the Romulans (although this may be wishful thinking). From this, I'd deduce that the Romulan warbirds spoken of were NOT of the later D'eridex class, but of an earlier, weaker design. No matter if the alt-E-D is called a "warship" or "battleship", it still can't be THAT much more powerful than the regular E-D.

Timo Saloniemi

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the contrary, I think the Alt. Enterprise's effort to cover the E-C was mediocre at best.
Sure, the suspense had to be there, "will they make it to the rift????", but come on!!
Since Picard suspected the whole timeline depended on the C getting back, which it did, they should've emptied their photon banks as if they'd never get to use them again, WHICH THEY DIDN'T!!!
It's strange we didn't get to see the E-D blow up, seconds before the "restoration".

The closest I've seen the E-D come to a good attack was in the pilot and when it tried to break loose from the Borg Cube's tractor beam. And even that was weak compared to Voyager's attacks in "Night" and "Year of Hell Pt. II".

I'd say a modern Ambassador-Refit with new shields, phasers and photons would be better than any Galaxy.
That's my dream-config, actually.
Plus ablatives, quantums, gel-packs and regenerative shielding. Naturally.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited September 18, 2000).]

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo: the war had been going on for 20 years; I can imagine weapon/shield science to be a lot further than in the "regular" universe. Any war causes an enormous acceleration of science in general, particulary in those areas where it "matters".

The only other time I when the E-D went all-out (it should have been done more often during the show) was in "the Survivors" when they faced that Husnock vessel. Awesome firepower display that was; I just wish they had utilised that potential in every battle scene when it appeared as if the ship was outclassed.

------------------
"Cry havoc and let's slip the dogs of Evil"

[This message has been edited by The_Evil_Lord (edited September 26, 2000).]

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps