Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Class of the Xhosa (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Class of the Xhosa
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the ongoing struggle against misconceptions perpetuated by the Encyclopedias, here's a question:

In which episode and in what context was the freighter Xhosa, captained by Kasidy Yates, identified as an Antares class vessel? Or was it so identified at all?

I'm rather sure the name Antares was not used in "Way of the Warrior" or "For the Cause", which featured this ship in a prominent role. But I also think I did hear the name uttered somewhere. Am I imagining things?

Timo Saloniemi

------------------

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looking at my Antares-class page I have this entry for the Xhosa.

SS Xhosa NAR-
Small cargo freighter owned by Petarian interests. In 2372, commanded by Kasidy Yates, the Xhosa was intercepted by the Klingon Bird-of-Prey, the IKS M'Char.
Xhosa is pronounced 'Zosha.' The exterior of the Xhosa was a re-use of Batris ("Heart of Glory" - TNG). The bridge interior, seen in "For the Cause" - DS9, had a control panel and instrument designs that were closely based to the panels designed for the original USS Enterprise bridge.
"Way of the Warrior" - DS9.

That's basically what I got from the ST:Encyclopedia. I get the feeling though at the DS9 creative staff wanted to show it was Federation in origin since it has TOS Enterprise style computers. And I also know that the Antares-class issue is a big mess which I try to avoid cause it gives me a headache trying to figure it all out.

------------------
Calvin: "Nothing spoils fun like finding out it builds character."
This post sponsered in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited October 16, 2000).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I too seem to remember that Kasidy's ship was given some class designation in some episode. I suspect that whoever wrote the dialog might have read about Okuda's idea of the alleged Talarian-Antares and might have thought that the Xhosa should be of the same class.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ANTARES MAYHEM!! AARRRGGH!!!

------------------
"Human race in tha house!" KoRn & Kittie, This Town
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, where does the name Xhosa come from?

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

grb
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Xhosa were a tribe in southern Africa, I believe. They were defeated by the Zulu, after which the Zulu were taken over by Dutch settlers, after which the Dutch were taken over by English settlers. The new government set up the apartheid regime that lasted until 1990.

------------------

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it isn't pronounced "zo-sa", as I recall. The "xh" is actually some sort of odd clicking sound that only exists in the Xhosa language.

------------------
"Count the arms, the legs, and heads, and then divide by five."
-They Might Be Giants, "Certain People I Could Name"

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Try saying "Door-sah!" and sucking instead of blowing on the D... Kind of like the clip-clop sound you make to imitate a horse's hooves on pavement, just a tad softer.

I'm not sure if I ever got it right, but at least that's the kind of pronunciation I was taught in a choir project once.

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dosa?? Like in "MANDOZA!!!!!!!!!!!" exclaimed by McBain aka Ranier Wolfcastle on The Simpsons.

I heard that the African people known as the Xhosa, were actually a 'tribe' who had a belief that their ancestors would rise up and defeat the British who were opressing/controlling them at the time. They put so much belief in this "prophecy" that they destroyed all their food... They later died from starvation.

Well that was one of those "factoids" they provided as they went to the ad break on the History Channel on a show about Prophecies.

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Timo
Member # 245

I believe that the Xhosa and the Zulu were mostly language groups instead of specific tribes, and that both language families survive to this day in RSA, along with a dozen other official language groups. More than one tribe or kingdom would have spoken IsiXhosa or IsiZulu during the course of the history, and the current "Zulu tribe" mightn't be such a unified whole at all if not for the political benefits of claiming that it is a single tribe.

Timo Saloniemi

Timo
Member # 245

This just in from Okuda: the Xhosa apparently had a dedication plaque, done in the TOS style. It read something like "SS Xhosa, Antares class, Copernicus Shipyards", no launch date, no list of fake Starfleet bigwig names, no indication of this being a Starfleet dedication plaque. The intention was to pay homage to the ship of "Charlie X" in all the interior details, the TOS style consoles and the plaque included.

So if we accept that as canon, we might as well bunch up the Antares from "Charlie X", the Hermes from "Redemption" and the Norkova from "Passenger" with this ship as the "Federation Antares class".

Okuda admits that this usage doesn't fit with the other two canonical uses of the expression "Antares class" - probably these should be considered "Alien Antares classes". Perhaps Bajorans spell it "Am'taeras" and Romulans "N'taaris", and the shared pronunciation is a coincidence?

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
There's a million things I haven't done, but just you wait
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or perhpas it's like Masao's Bison-class (it IS the Bison-class I'm thinking of, right?) where no 2 units were ever identical.

------------------
"Two parts slush...one part solid ice...one part hard-packed snow...a dash of assorted debris...sculpt into sphere, and serve at high velocity without warning." --Calvin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geez, don't pull my poor ships into this! The belief that they were never identical was just an advertizing boast by the maker to emphasize that the ships could be customized on demand. The basic hull components were used in all ships but could be added or subtracted to make ship of different of different lengths. Maybe I should have named the class "Antares" just for fun?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I guess seeing as the same position that had "Starship Class" on the Enterprise says "Antares Class" on the Xhosa... means that Antares class isn't like Constitution Class like the Enterprise was - its a whole sort of superclass... that may apply to Cargo vessels!?!

Andrew

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not a bad idea. Perhaps, in the pre-to-early Federation era, freighters were refered to based on their range. Hence, an Antares class could get from here to Antares comfortably, and so on. The custom became a tradition, and here we are today; two ships may be Antares "class", and that designation might say something quite meaningful about their capabilities, without having anything to do with who built the vessel.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.