Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Class of the Xhosa (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Class of the Xhosa
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or to look at the plaque issue from the opposite angle: if the Xhosa wasn't Starfleet surplus but a dedicated civilian ship, then should we take this type of plaque as denoting civilian construction? Perhaps the Enterprise was contracted out to a civilian manufacturer who slapped "Starship class" on her without consulting Starfleet?

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wouldn't the dedication plaque have been altered when Starfleet came onboard? Isn't the plaque brought on when the ship is christened?

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
: the Xhosa apparently had a dedication plaque, done in the TOS style.

Did the Norkova have a dedication plaque too?

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the transition from using names like "starship class", "freighter class", &c. took place after the construction of the E-nil (hence, it got "starship class"), but before the construction of the Xhosa (hence, it got a "real" name, i.e. "Antares class").

------------------
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend."
-Yasir Arafat on religious wars

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On the subject of ships of the same class which look different from each other...what about the Enterprise- nil and the Enterprise-A? They look very different, but are both classified as Constitution class.

Here's my theory. The Antares and the Zhosa were built around the same time, which would explain the Zhosa's interior. Then, the Hermes and Norkova were either built later or were upgraded, but were still referred to as "Antares class." That would also explain the more modern interior of the Norkova and the five-digit registry of the Hermes.

Ships like the Erstwhile might also represent an Antares refit somewhere along the line, but I don't remember what the interior looked like, or even if it was shown at all. The only problem is that the Talarians, enemies of the Federation, were also using an Antares class freighter. Maybe they stole it and repainted & reregistered it during the war.

Anyway, at least this proves that Chakotay's raider wasn't an Antares class, which I always thought was wrong.

------------------
Homer: "I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Chakotay's radier was an 'Antares Class' but not Superclass Antares... which is reserved for Cargo-type vessels?? OR

Maybe once again those ships that are the raiders were originally not "Starships" but "Antares" meaning they were used for Cargo purposes, first and foremost - only later were they used by the Maquis for tactical strikes. This might fit with the large amount of room for the Maquis crew. This might also explain why the Lantree wasn't an "Antares" but a "Starship" since it was originally built for the role of a "Starship"

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps