Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TOS Book ships posted (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: TOS Book ships posted
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, NOW I can go check on those ships. Give me a day or so.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I didn't find these ships in the book. In which context were they mentioned?"

When Enterprise makes starfall at Hamal/Starbase 18. "Old friends & friendly rivals" they were part of.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the USS Bill of Rights from Best Destiny have a Registry of NEE instead of NCC?

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://beam.to/readyroom

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Carey used to assign oddball registries to many of her ships: MKC for the Star Empire and, yes, NEE for the Bill of Rights. She's gone soft lately, though - in the "New Earth" books, her cutters and tenders get the same NCC as her starships.

USS Bill of Rights sounds a bit awkward. Is there a vessel of that name in USN service? Was there ever? Then again, if a USN ship can be named USS Lewis and Clark, or USS The Sullivans, I guess USS Bill of Rights is okay as well...

Which reminds me... Should "The Wounded Sky" list starships Lewis and Clark, or the single starship Lewis-and-Clark? It would be something of a coincidence for the two ships to be present simultaneously, now wouldn't it? Unless it's an early multi-vector-attack prototype!

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Bill Of Rights is an important historical document. I wouldn't be surprised if a ship was named for it. I know I used the name myself along with Magna Carta, Ten Commandments, Koran, & Declaration Of Independence. I should probably add Fundamental Declaration & Articles Of Confederation as well, although they sound a little more goofy.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, I think you missed out "Federation". Or are you getting to that a bit later?

I'm sure the Aginbourt was a Constitution class in the SF:A game too...

------------------
"I am in one of those rare periods of life where I am convinced I am a sexy devil."- Simon "Sol System" Sizer

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I skipped Federation because a large part of it takes place in TNG time. I'll get to it.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Will you be - time permitting - doing any other series?

------------------
"Karate is a form of martial arts in which people who have had years and years of training can, using only their hands and feet, make some of the worst movies in the history of the world." - Dave Barry

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, here's a question:

Book #17 (on the first page), how the hell can the Magellan be in the Andromeda Galaxy? Can someone please explain that to me!?!

By the way, now you've done TOS books, how about those from the other series? [Big Grin]

Oh yeah - REALLY OLD TOPIC REVIVAL! HEHE! 2000!!! HEHE!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now I understand why it is that over at the SCN they lock old threads... Although they really should wait at least a year.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For a moment, I thought First of Two had returned...

--------------------
Meh

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by akb1979:
Book #17 (on the first page), how the hell can the Magellan be in the Andromeda Galaxy? Can someone please explain that to me!?!

Well, since you thought was an important enough question to revive the thread for, it would be a pity if you didn't get an answer. [Wink]

IIRC the author had postulated a type of ship called (ironically, in more ways than one) the Galaxy class which were extragalactic explorers and were deployed to Andromeda. I can't recall if there was any explanation of the advancements that made such a feat possible, or if it was just a throwaway ("oooooh") concept.

Perhaps someone can elaborate further if there was any additonal information.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was before the TNG concepts of quadrants, more standardized speeds and "we only explored 4% of the galaxy in TOS" became prevalent. I'm sure older fans that thought of it probably figured Starfllet had explored enough of tha galaxy to figure a trip to Andromeda would be a cool (or practical) thing to do. Heck, even Franz Joseph posited that the Federation "treaty zone" was well over 10 of the galactic mass, no?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two recently popped up the trekrpg.net boards and posted an updated ship list:
http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/FirstofTwo/shiplist.html
(links to TNG and DS9 lists at the bottom)

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm, is the USS Constitution NX-1701 at the bottom (Errand of Vengeance Trilogy) a typo?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.