Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » New Orleans class (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Orleans class
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the dorsal view of the CGI NO does show 2 pairs of those structures on top of the warp nacelle. SciPubTech poster calls them hydrogen dump vents (non canon) but they are slanted the wrong direction to be exit vents. If you look really closely, you can see two dark areas in about the same location. My only fear is that the destroyed model provided by Pedro is a fan-made model. Pedro care to comment...is it in fact the studio model??.
Pedro
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no way to know for sure whether or not the damaged pic is the original or a fan built model. The pic has been around for years, long before most of the 'net kitbashing' that's so common now....I believe it's the original model, but I'm not sure.

I had completely forgotten about the pic from Enc. I. It is, of course, entirely possible that the two pictures show the same model, before and after the damage. I've spent some time studying them, and they really look like the same model to me. Note the bank of windows in the front center of the saucer, they are not quite in the center on either model.

The nacelles do look a bit skinny, but the nacelles on the small enterprise kit have the same problem.

Bernd may be right about the neck, in the picture of the wreck you can see pretty much the entire back of the dorsal section. However, it's clear that the CGI model has a shorter neck...

IP: Logged
Pedro
Ex-Member

I just spent some time comparing these to my Wolf359 pics, and noticed that the damage on the model picture I posted before matches the Wolf359 pictures. I'm convinced these are all the same model (remember, the original Encyclopedia also has undamaged pictures of the 1701-C model, before Greg Jein attacked it with a sparkler ).

http://www.shiporama.org/junk/wolf3508.jpg

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted this on the web some three and a half years ago...it was sent to me from a friend. Apparently Okuda and his wife appeared on QVC during a Trek sale...he showed a few of these ships during the episode. Apparently this one originally was a pic of Okuda's wife holding the model. Fortunately, someone taped the QVC sale...gave it to him...and boom...a good screen-grab.

As far as I know...this pic is the same as those shown at the con where Okuda gave the infamous "slide" show. These slides contained the pictures of all the kit-bashed classes from Wolf 359 we have been discussing here.

On another note...Alexander DeLarge is back from Japan...with a book called Star Trek Mechanix. And from our phone conversation...there is a good pic of the New Orleans concept model in it. Keep your fingers crossed...and perhaps he will post something soon!!!

Talk to you soon!
NeghVar

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NeghVar: Erm... Was there supposed to be a pic w/ that post?

Also, I agree that it looks like the neck was not shortened. W/ the sec. hull in the position shown in the encyclopedia-II, the dorsal of the neck would have to be very steep, which it doesn't appear to be in the pic of the model...

------------------
"You're a looney."
-Graham Chapman, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One more thought about the neck: When I first saw the image in the Encyclopedia I, it looked as if it were the Galaxy saucer, neck and engineering hull in the original configuration. I was surprised about the images in the Encyclopedia II showing the prolonged engineering hull and the neck problem.
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe its the engineering hull with some fancy model work extension between them. Pick a good spot between the deflector dish and the aft "cut-out", cut the eng. hull in half and put in some excellent modelling work with a piece or two of styrene plastic. Keep in mind, they weren't amateurs at this.

Anybody figured out if it is the 10" model or not. Maybe somebody has a Stablo and the 10" saucer.

NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No pic...I was talking about the pic Pedro posted with the damaged New Orleans...sorry I was not more specific...

NeghVar

------------------
Spoken in Klingon, with a distinct Scottish accent:
"If it's not Klingon...It's crap!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shipbuilder: A 10" model has a 15cm saucer. The Schwan Stabilo text marker is 10.5cm. These sizes don't work, since the pod is about 40% of the saucer length. There might be a smaller text marker or whatever it could be with a length of 6cm, or they have used the big model with a 27cm saucer. I tend to support the latter theory. The bridge module as the only part possibly taken from a bigger model isn't clearly visible anyway.
Shipbuilder
Member # 69

I wonder if anybody has the original vidcap mentioned above with Denise Okuda supposedly holding the model. That would be extrememly helpful in determining which parts were from what model etc.
Pedro
Ex-Member

This I would be very interested to see. Alexander has provided me with some of the most obscure pictures I've seen...
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

If I could only get a side view of the original model. This could explain a lot.
Pedro
Ex-Member

I was just reading the Starshipmodeler discussion forum, and the Star Trek Mechanics 4 book apparently has great pictures of just about every model that's been build for Trek....*drool*

I MUST have this book! Anyone around here know a good way to find Japanese books on the web?

Alexander Delarge
Ex-Member

OK. Here's the best picture that I know of of the actual filmed miniature of the New Orleans class. It's from the Star Trek Mechanics book. I plan to open a topic on this book shortly. enjoy.

http://design.archdev.com/yamato/misc/neworlns1.jpg

------------------
A still tongue makes a happy life

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, perfect timing! From this view, it appears the NO uses a regular neck, but there is an extentsion at the front. The nacelles do appear the same size as a Galaxy. Now, notice the engineering hull. Do I see two phaser strips? Did they tae another front of the Galaxy kit and stick it on there?

BTW, why is the model hanging from the ceiling?

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps