Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Is the USS Entente canonical? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is the USS Entente canonical?
Lindsly
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the movie The Motion Picture premiered in theatres in 1979, the USS Entente was mentioned in the radio chatter of the Epsilon Nine scene. This scene was in the pan and scan version of the film which was released with added footage. About fourteen years later, Paramount Pictures released a letterbox version of this film. Besides the added footage being omitted, the scene at Epsilon Nine was edited and new dialogue was put in. The mention of the USS Entente was removed. Why did Paramount Pictures edit this scene? I do not know. Now the question is-which of these two versions of the film are canonical? The encyclopedias fall in line behind the second version-LBX. If you do not believe me, watch the pan and scan version, note the dialogue, and then watch the LBX version.
IP: Logged
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd go with the original, FULL version of the movie for reasons of canonicity... If Reddenberry approved it and the footage was shot, then it should be taken as canon.

Unless later footage contridicts the unseen footage, thus making the unseen footage non-canon.

Confused?

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree. Just like the ST6 Operation: Retrieve scene and the ST2 engineer-is-Scotty's-nephew scene are canon, even though they weren't in all versions of the movies.

------------------
"I fart in your general direction!"
-John Cleese, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the nephew scene available in a video version?

------------------
Brain. Brain. What is brain? (Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain")
www.uni-siegen.de/~ihe/bs/startrek/

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When TWoK was shown on a local TV station, they included the scene in question. That was the only time I ever saw it. I thought about taping it, but I didn't have a tape handy... =<

------------------
Lyta Vorlon: "Our great mistake. Our failing. And now your failing. The error is compounded."
Delenn: "What mistake?"
Lyta Vorlon: "The first one, the one from which all mistakes proceed: The error of Pride..."

-- Kalesh Naranek, Last of the Vorlon
www.orc.ca/~jheinbuc/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nephew scene is only in the TV version, actually (the one made for ABC, I think).

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Motormaster: "Megatron's in trouble!"
Dead End: "Who cares?"
Wildrider: "It looks like Starscream's defeated him!"
Dead End: "So?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*thinks* Hm... I thought it was in the video I have... Maybe not...

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cut footage was restored only for the ABC showing.

------------------
"The record of my unspeakable crimes, in previous lives, in previous times, indelibly stains the pages of history."
--
They Might Be Giants

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The restored footage in ST II TWOK is currently only availble in bootleg (umm...no I woudn't buy one of those would I?). Besides the extra info on Scotty/Peter there is a scene with Kirk and Spock climbing ladders on the lower decks of the Enterprise. Sounds like an interesting subject for a web site project. Differences between the two.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://members.aol.com/captaincks/readyroom.html

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Captain Stark
Member # 70

- posted      Profile for Captain Stark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh and to answer the question (and stay on topic) I count the Entente as canonical and list it in my ship listing.

------------------
-=/\=-
Captain Stark
http://members.aol.com/captaincks/readyroom.html

"The man on the top walks a lonely path. The chain of command is often a noose." Dr. Leonard McCoy --Obsession, Stardate: 3619.2

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They probably removed it because there was a ship named the Entente in Franz Joseph's Technical Manual. The production said it wasn't canon, btu somehow it got in there.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Same goes for the Columbia and Revere.

BTW, I'll accept the Entente if anyone can provide proof that it was ever in the movie (in the form of a sound file or anything else).

------------------
Motormaster: "Megatron's in trouble!"
Dead End: "Who cares?"
Wildrider: "It looks like Starscream's defeated him!"
Dead End: "So?"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, I must have been imagining things, because I've just checked my ST2 tape, and, sure enough, that scene is cut short. However, when it was on TV a few months back, it was there (and it wasn't on ABC, either...).

------------------

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember someone posting or linking to a wave file from TMP with the Entente dialog in there on r.a.s.t. a few months, maybe a year ago. Someone may want to check DejaNews. I remember it was because Joe Chrieghton had a different registry number on his ship list than that in teh TOS TM, and someone posted the line to prove that they were one and the same. In any case, the laserdisc of TMP allegedly has the clearest line, if someone can get their hands on it. It says "Epsilon 9, this is dreadnought Entente calling. NCC-2120 calling comm station
Epsilon 9. Come in" fairly clearly, but it is directly overlapping the "scout Columbia" part, which may be why some people have trouble hearing it. I can hear it on my normal store-bought video; just go rent it and it will be confirmed.

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Aha...I have the laserdisc, I think...I'll check later.

------------------
Vortex: "It just don't pack the punch it used to..."
Swindle: "Yeah, because we're out of energy, dummy."

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps