Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Is the USS Entente canonical? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Is the USS Entente canonical?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I got the boxed set of Star Trek movies for christmas, they have all the letterbox versions from 1-7(8 you buy separately but there is a space)

anyway - you can quite clearly hear the woman mentioning these starships and their registries...

As for TWOK, it says on the video, an extended version - BUT! this doesn't have the Peter Preston nephew bit - but it does have some extended sceens around there - sick bay stuff - stuff before they enter the nebula - with some tac stuff on the display screen - small scene with David and Carol in sickbay with McCoy... etc. etc. - I was so excited seeing this version - cause I knew the other shorter version I had back to front...

and the bits chopped off the edges is GREAT! - like a really huge view of the genesis cave with waterfalls etc...

The bagpipe part is not cut - and leads cleanly into the orchestral accompaniment - not like in the other version...

BUT! no nephew bit...

Andrew

------------------
Alamaraine, count to four...

Lindsly
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ryan McReynolds: Two of the ships are mentioned-USS Columbia and USS Revere. And there is added dialogue. There is an extended discussion with the USS Columbia. BTW, nothing has been added to the second movie. Ryan, what you are seeing, is what happens when a movie is prepared for the tv screen (pan-and-scan) Pan-and-scan is where a film is trimmed so as to fit the screen. Letterbox restores the cut portions of the film and presents the film in theatrical presentation. BTW, the closed captioning of the first movie which duplicates the dialogue says, where the original mention of the USS Entente was, "Static". BTW2, I remember reading or hearing a statement supposedly attributed to Gene Roddenberry. He stated that Starfleet has no dreadnoughts because of its peaceful nature. Can anyone confirmed this statement, or its origin?
IP: Logged
Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you mixed me and Andrew up there a bit, seeing as I said nothing about STII at all, but it's a simple enough mistake. In any case, I was never aware that there was any editing to the Epsilon 9 scenes at all until I read this thread... I've only seen my own video copy of TMP, and it includes the Entente line, for whatever that's worth. If there is indeed another, edited version, I was not aware of it.

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah... I've also heard the "no dreadnoughts" statement attributed to Gene, though I can't confirm or deny its authenticity. It doesn't really matter to me, personally; Star Trek is and always has been a lot more than just Gene's word.

------------------
-=Ryan McReynolds=-

[This message was edited by Ryan McReynolds on March 27, 1999.]

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never heard the Entente, probably becuase I've seen the version with 12 minutes of extra footage. What I don't understand is why the Columbai and Revere were taken out.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps