Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » U.S.S. Curry as possible Mediterranean class (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: U.S.S. Curry as possible Mediterranean class
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it quite odd that the Centaur was not given a specific number and class when alot of other, never-seen vessels were. I mean, the Centaur was a big fixture to all us ship-geeks in that episode. It was clearly seen and shown up close for quite a while, relatively speaking. Even the Curry got a number and it only did a single fly-by. I have the same problem with the Raven's and the Insurrection Scoutship's missing info.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re what Duckat said:
quote:
I am curious, though, as to what those impolite names were for some of the ships...

U.S.S. Fuck Wit
U.S.S. Bum Fluff

I.K.S. Knob'Cheese
I.K.S. Krapkakes

S'kratch'Crotch
Me'Hoering'head
(Romulan ships)

------------------
Go Mad.
Go Evil.
Just GO.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aban: I agree. All they had to say was "Captain Sisko, there's a Federation ship approaching...Rennaissance class...it's the U.S.S. Centaur!"

------------------
"Although I do not know how World War III will be fought, I do know how World War IV will be fought - with rocks and clubs." -Albert Einstein

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* As if that'd ever be likely.

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially since the script, in all likelihood, never mentioned what type of ship the Centaur was. It would just be the art department who deceided "hey, instead of using the Excelsior again, let's through lots of bits together, and use whatever we get. Cool eh"

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well at least it makes US happy when there's a new design instead of a re-use of the Reliant, even if no other info is forthcoming other than the model itself.

------------------
"Although I do not know how World War III will be fought, I do know how World War IV will be fought - with rocks and clubs." -Albert Einstein

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I don't even mean they had to say it on screen. I mean, the Ent E's class wasn't even said on screen (IIRC). But I would've thought they would've come up with class names for ships like the Scoutship (the bloody thing didn't even have a name!!), the Raven, and the Centaur. After making up all the names in the encyclopedia for ships we never even saw (and barely heard of), you'd just think they would've gone to the trouble for ships that we definitely and clearly saw on screen.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny how over the past coupla years they've become really lax about even making up the classes and registries of ships mentioned on the shows. . . the new Saratoga, the Sentinel, the Grissom, the Strata and so on from DS9; The Billings from Voyager. . . all the Insurrection ships, plus the listing in the Enc3 of a Ticonderoga from the same film which as far as we know never appeared or said in dialogue!

It seems to coincide with a general feeling of disillusionment by Okuda - or so was implied when the Enc3 turned out to be nowhere near as good as the previous two, and that there might not be another edition. Maybe it's just the sheer volume of info. Maybe it's all these emails you keep sending him asking about the most nitpicky little things he couldn't possibly remember, that have given him the feeling "why bother?" Maybe someone should ask him how he feels about it all.

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ticonderoga? I've been meaning to ask about that. Is it, or rarther was it in a draft script or cut scene in Insurrection? I have the novel so I'll be skimming through it on the look out.
I hope that when Voyager ends and they get back to just doing movies for a while, Okuda and the like will probably go back and assign some regs & class names. Of course knowing our luck they probably won't, still we can always hope. Does anyone else think that Condor would make a cool name for the Insurrection Scout? Or maybe this is the Yellowstone-class runabout's final hull design.

------------------
We attack tommorow, under cover of daylight!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except that the Yellowstone never existed, except in Harry Kim's mind...

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it an alternative timeline, rather than a dream-sequence?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes. Though technically TSN is still correct, as the design hadn't been built yet, just sketched out by Harry and his friend.

------------------
20th century, go to sleep.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapters one and two of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Show no patience, tolerance, or restraint.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that a couple of ensigns are the only people working on an entire class of starship. My understanding was that they were only responsible for the uprated engine design, this would mean that in the alternate timeline they were assigned to a project already underway. The same project could easily exist in the 'normal' timeline, but with harry's mate working on it instead of him. The fact that the ship was identical to the danube can be accounted for by saying that Yellowstone was a refit of the Danube instead of a new build, in the few years between that Voyager episode and Insurrection the ship could have been refited several times to the extent that the newbuilds were totally unrecognisable. The Danube platform could have only been a starting point, with the intention always being to change the hull design later. Sort of designing it from the inside out.

------------------
We attack tommorow, under cover of daylight!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, well, it's been a very long time since I saw... "Non Sequitur", was it? I think the only time I saw it was first-run, and maybe that season's summer rerun. I thought it was all in his head, though. I didn't think he actually went into an alternate timeline. Oh well. I'm probably wrong.

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh! You have to see Non Sequitar SP? Again... It was an AMAZING episode... among the best of Season 2...

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps