Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Holography & Universal Translator

Author Topic: Holography & Universal Translator
Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A thought struck my mind:

The TNG:TM tells us that the Universal Translator super-imposes translated speech over the normal speech (in his/her/its mother-language) of the subject. This would cause the 'bad-lip-sync effect', as I call it. But we don't see evidence of anything such on-screen. (OK, it would be very confusing for the TV watcher, but let's forget this)

My theory is that any Universal Translator also has a holographic projector, maybe working in conjunction with advanced facial scanning techniques, which provides real-time holographic manipulation: a hologram projected over the subject's face, with its lips moving according to English speech (or Federation Standard ).

What do you think?

------------------
Signature.

Doctor Jonas
Member # 481

- posted      Profile for Doctor Jonas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm... nice theory. But shipwide holographic projectors are only a very recent incorporation. And think about the personal translator included in the commbadge! It would require 29th century technology (that is, the Voyager's EMH mobile emmitter devices)

I say, they do look funny and that's it. I watch Star Trek in Spanish, and they're already lipsync-ed. So for me, it's not big deal

------------------
Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide, No escape from reality

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't you know that Chronowerx is the manufacturer of *all* TVs? And that they've built in UTs and sophisticated lip-sync technologies?

------------------
"Content, graphics, and design are © 1999-2000 by The Solareclipse Network"
-And no-one even noticed the typo...
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But don't you think it's very tiresome to talk to an alien, while his lip movements and the UT-imposed speech do not match? Dubbing on TV is really something else than in "real life" - you might get used to it, but it drives your brains crazy!

Another thought occurred to me: holography is not necessary when you're talking to an alien via a viewscreen. Sophisticated software might be installed for real-time video manipulation to get rid of the "out-of-sync" chatter.

Anyway, I think 24th century engineers should have invented something to compensate.

------------------
Signature.

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.