Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Defiant Escape Pods (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Defiant Escape Pods
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone have access to screenshots showing where the escape pods are stowed? The episodes with the destruction of Defiant and Valiant I suppose.

Examination of the DS9 plans don't jibe with my recollections.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This shot shows the escpae pod hatches behind the bridge, I forget where I got it from.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many thanks. 4 down.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some more shots. There are two hatches between the Bridge and the deflector on the top and two more on the underside either side of the shuttlebay. [Smile]

http://www.zeetec.net/host/phlox/Podhatches.JPG

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, i was wondering, were any shuttles shown ditching the wrecked Defiant, or was it just pods?I'm writing my Chaffee entry in the Galactopedia and was wondering if it survived.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we'd seen the Chaffee, someone would've mentioned it by now. I highly doubt it, as Foundation had nothing to do with this epsiode.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't Chaffee survive but then get destroyed on the thoughtscape planet in the Mission Gamma novels, Mike?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Chaffee or any of the shuttlepods weren't used here. I think the only reason Odo escaped in a shuttlepod in "The Search" was his need to reach the Omarion Nebula. The rest of the crew used escape pods in "The Search" likewise.

The open hatches allow us to count 12 pods which supposedly hold six people (Voyager uses the same type), so there is room for 72 people which is more than enough given the ship's usual complement of 47-50.

Note that the forward dorsal hatches of the Valiant are a little closer to the edge than those on the Defiant:

http://www.maximumdefiant.com/images/multi/visual/valiant/val10.jpg

Boris

Treknophyle
Member # 509

Right. 12 pods - as usual the DS9 plans are inaccurate.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Johnny
Member # 878

As a matter of interest, I count 10 escape pods leaving the Defiant before she's destroyed. That even makes sense considering the number of people aboard. Nifty.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unlike the Valiant, the Defiant's crew was considerably more alive. I guess the number of pods made sends, though even the maximum would. Pods are not likely to wait around too long before ejecting.

I'm more curious as to why the escape pods' launch (and navigation?) systems seemed fully functional when everything ELSE was knocked offline by the Breen weapon... I suppose that the launch systems were manual explosives or something, and navigation may have been offline - though the pods seemed to be travelling in less-than-random directions.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Defiant's crew rushed to the pods while the Valiant's crew was indoctrinated to wait a while. Although the same number of dorsal pods were ejected, we don't know how many people were actually inside, or whether the four ventral pods were ejected at all.

Furthermore, some of the Valiant's pods were also destroyed following ejection, whereas Weyoun specifically ordered that the escaped crew be left alive, IIRC.

Boris

Johnny
Member # 878

^ Yep, the Founder wanted plenty of demoralised troops to go home and tell their friends about their entire fleet being disabled and destroyed by the Dominion's newest member.

--------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I'm more curious as to why the escape pods' launch (and navigation?) systems seemed fully functional when everything ELSE was knocked offline by the Breen weapon... I suppose that the launch systems were manual explosives or something, and navigation may have been offline - though the pods seemed to be travelling in less-than-random directions.

The thing I'd like to know is how Ezri (or was it O'Brien?) knew where the hull breaches were.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes.. in the Mission Gamma series, the Chaffee was the one that was sheared in half when Commander Vaughn, Ensign ch'Thane and Ensign Tenmei crashed on the Thoughtscape Planet. I was wondering if it could have been the same shuttle recovered from Defiant and assigned to the Sao Paulo-Defiant. Far-fetched, but since no one mentioned the shuttles in the ep, i assume they might've gone down with the ship.

The Defiant's other shuttle, the Sagan, was damaged at the Vahni Vahltupani homeworld, when Ensign Roness died, but then repaired and used in the next two novels.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps