Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Challenger Class (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Challenger Class
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any pics out there of anyone who's tried to model the Challenger Class?

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a thread here on the Challenger

http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000929

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Err, sorry - PHYSICAL model. Thanks anyway.

Andrew

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to try it, I have many of the kit pieces I need (1/2500 saucer, two 1/1400 nacelles, 1/400 Typhoon sail tower). I wish there were more canon reference on the Challenger than just a partial view in a screen grab and the poor quality photo from the 'slide show'.

Is there any more information? Is it still speculation about it using two upper saucers or is it a regular upper/lower saucer arrangement?

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is my Challenger class ship (USS ST George)in 2500th.
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1069361&uid=657989

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cgi model and the schematics created by Chris Spinnler (seen on Trekmania, EAS, Fleetyard and the other Wolf 359 Research Project sites) are based on a reasonably good quality photo of the Buran model so they can be trusted as being accurate. But that photo is still tied up in legal wranglings, so can't be released unfortunately.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

The ASDB

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rats!

I'd like a peek at that photo, for sure! The pieces I've gathered are even sitting out in the open, in plain sight. It's killing me not being able to build it!

Want official photos!

--------------------
Stephen L.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

What is with the Legal wranglings? Who's photo was it? A Mike Okuda one?

I so want a new Encyclopaedia right now.

I wan't missing stuff from TOS (which I was told there was a lot) - one I know - the Starfleet Symbol.

And a COMPLETE Starship section - with all the diagrams drawn in the same style. And using all the fabulous work people round the net like The WOLF 359 reconstruction Flare etc. [Big Grin]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Jason!! That's GREAT! Thanks! Basically I was curious. Cause that Sub-tower thing is really bizzare on the diagrams. I like what you have done with it - putting windows and stuff in it and not just leaving it this huge block of hull with nothing on it!

AND A Phoenix-Variation NEBULA!!! I think I like that kind better that the Sutherland-Variation.

Andrew

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I like the Phionex styled Nebula better too.
....however, my Challenger is not perfect in it's acccuracy: the rear sail (sub tower?) on my ship extends down below the ship's midline rather than the Challenger class having that skinny nacele pylon under the superstructure, and due to this, the nacelle is slightly farther away from the ship's body than the schematics and CGI indicate. [Wink]
.....and the lower nacelle has a venture-style phaser strip on it to provide cover in that blind spot (the nacelle was from a AGT conversion).
I still like the ship though. [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Sorry, I should not have mentioned the Buran photo. But it was basically to say the existing schematics are reasonably close, being based on fact, rather than speculation. The guy that owns the photo seems reluctant to release it, but efforts to persuade him, so eveyone has access to it, continued recently. That's all I know.

Very good modelling by the way. But one thing I can advise you on, the secondary hull unit of the Challenger is much more rounded, not square - one thing I didn't correct with my old cgi model.

--------------------

The ASDB

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Your fault, pally. Your pics were key to the ship's construction.
One day I might correct all the slight flaws in the St George.....one day... [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

SoundEffect
Member # 926

From anyone who's actually seen this elusive photo, can you tell what exact kit parts are present? Is the 'more rounded' aft hull a kit piece from something other than Trek? Is it scratchbuilt? Waht is the lower pylon from?

Is there any technical information we modelers can get about the photo without having access to it?

Thank you!

--------------------
Stephen L.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

The saucer is a 2500th Galaxy, The "rounded" secondary hull and lower pylon are scratchbuilt, and the upper part of the secondary hull is a sail from a Typhoon class sub kit (Hunt for Red October, if I recall).
The rest of the Typhoon parts were made into the silly "Mars Defense Perimiter" ships. (now you see 'em- now they're toast.) [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

Correct. Plus, the nacelles are from a 1/1400 Ent-D kit.

The modified version of the photo http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/articles/wolf359/challenger-presumed.jpg (here distorted because the real one can't be shown) is all you have to go on, plus the schematics (also at TM, and EAS). The photo was taken from Okuda's slide-show presentation, at a convention in 1991, as I recall.

--------------------

The ASDB

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps