Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Scanning Tips

Author Topic: Scanning Tips
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I need a question answered about scanning.

When I scan I get those 'dots' or 'pixellations' or what ever over my picture - how do I eliminate this problem to give a clean scan. For example follow the link:
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/44/kohnma.jpg

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's almost impossible to get rid of it. Some scanners have what called a "descreening" function which is a fancy way of saying they blur the picture a little to get the dots to be less noticable. It happens when you scan printed material. Printing is done with little dots of ink, so when you scan... you're scanning dots.

My best advice is to scan it hella lot bigger than you need it, then reduce size and resolution.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I've learned of descreening, it's a filter that helps to remove the patterns of dots that appear from newsprint or magazine pictures. It's not so much a blurring effect, but a pattern removal. My scanner software allows me to select the level of descreening, plus it has presets for artwork, newsprint and magazines.

I agree that scanning larger than needed and reducing (in Photoshop, for example) will greatly increase the quality of your scans.

Look in your scanner's help section. Most have a 'moire removal' or 'descreen function'.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. My scanner does indeed have the descreening function - but I've just scanned something else - so I'll have to play around with it next scan! [Smile] It also has that newspaper/magazine/artprint function.

Andrew

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may just be the scanner I'm using, but the descreen thing has never worked satisfactorily for me. Hope you have better luck with yours [Smile]

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Nah - the de-screen thing didn't really work, neither did the Moire button in PSP. I think it DOES sorta blur the pic to spread the 'dots'.

Andrew

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps