Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » S.S. Ghanima

Author Topic: S.S. Ghanima
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next up on my DY series is the DY-900.
This one is mostly my design, with some intentional leanings towards Masao's Bison-Class transports.

S.S. Ghanima

For those you like to keep track of all these ships I've composed a basic scale chart.

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

EdipisReks
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
fuckin' a, man. this stuff is radder than radder. too bad you aren't doing the designs for Enterprise.
IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm - now I'm wondering something. With the DY series - each version was a DY-100, DY-500 etc. So does this maybe mean that the Enterprise will end up being one in a class of LOTS of NX-01's??

I guess they didn't say NX-01 class - they said NX class. Hmmm.

Very nice work there Rev. Which of those again are official/semioffical?

Oh and I read that as S.S. GHANDIA!! LOL - as in Ghandia from Survivor: Thailand. [Smile]

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forward-firing braking thrusters!! WOW!!!

Um...y'know that design that everyone's calling the DY-245? In the Chronology, it was noted as being a DY-750.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
so... cool.

I may have totally missed it, but is there somewhere I can see rendered versions of all of the ones you have done so far?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hmm - now I'm wondering something. With the DY series - each version was a DY-100, DY-500 etc. So does this maybe mean that the Enterprise will end up being one in a class of LOTS of NX-01's??
I see the DY series as being mostly civilian ships built by the same company, so the name DY-100 is more like the model number of a car than a class of ship. I'm actually trying to figure out a system that accounts for all these ships without the necessity for earth to have upwards of 1200 spaceships running around in the early 22nd century. My current thinking is that the first digit denotes the class while the other two denote a particular variant this would allow a much smaller fleet since not every permutation would have to have been built, only those that were commissioned by whatever company or organisation wanted them.
The classes with an extra letter as seen on the "Up the Long Ladder" list (like DY-500[N] ) may indicate a special refit or overhaul made after the ship was launched or a specialied variant of that class, like a hospital ship or a tanker.

quote:
Very nice work there Rev. Which of those again are official/semioffical?
Most of the class numbers are taken from the "Up the Long Ladder" list, you can skip over to Ex-Astris to see exactly which.
As for the designs only the 100 & 500 are taken from cannon sources, the 245 (which I simplified to be the 200) is from the original Star Trek Chronology although as Shik has rightly pointed out it was reffered to as the 750 in that book (I'll get to you in a moment Shik).
Finally the 300 is taken straight out of the old Starfleet Chronology, the rest are mine although as I said before the later ships are meant to look like forerunners of Masao's Bison-Class.

quote:
Oh and I read that as S.S. GHANDIA!! LOL - as in Ghandia from Survivor: Thailand.
Hehe, never watch the show myself.
Ghanima is actually a reference to Dune. [Wink]

quote:
Forward-firing braking thrusters!! WOW!!!

Actually they were meant to be sensor/deflector thingies...but now that you mention it, I think I like your idea better. Hmm....

quote:
Um...y'know that design that everyone's calling the DY-245? In the Chronology, it was noted as being a DY-750
Everyone? I thought it was just me.
Yes you are correct in that this design is from the original Chronology and yes it was meant to be a DY-750.
My reason for moving it down to be the 245 is quite simple; it didn't look like it came after the DY-500, it looked much more like an imediate successor to Khan's DY-100.
Of course this is because the model they used is obviously a kitbash of the Botany Bay design.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
so... cool.

I may have totally missed it, but is there somewhere I can see rendered versions of all of the ones you have done so far?

Yes, Bernd was kind enough to put up what I had done so far up on JoAT.
That chart is quite a few months old and I've only recently started work on the proper 4-view charts so what you see is little more than a bunch of early sketches.
Indeed it's all very much a work in progress.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps