Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Designer's Block (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Designer's Block
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm suffering from designer's block.

None of my designs lately work. They all look terrible the day after, and I'm so tired of coming up with new nacelles and saucers all the time. There's only so many things you can do with them, and they've ALL been done before. Basically, ever since I did the fandom ships, I haven't come up with anything remotely interesting myself.

So, my silly question is... does anyone have tips/ideas for making new designs? Something that stands out at least a little bit? What are your inspirations?

Yikes, that sounds desperate [Smile] ... Starship Designers Anonymous anyone?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make a three-naceller look good? [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should do the accurate version of the Federation-class dreadnought. (One that doesn't use simply two Connie saucers joined together, but rather the much larger and thinner version of Joseph's manual.) [Smile]

It would also be superlatively cool if you were to do the rest of the TAS shuttles that Rev and Masao are so loathe to do. (The Copernicus from "The Slaver Weapon" and the shuttle from "Mudd's Passion.") The scouter-gig from "The Ambergris Element" would be cool too.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.
Season's Greetings, BTW!

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or move away from Federation ship designs and go for a Tholian or Bolian design. Something for fandom that isn't the same old stuff may give you a new perspective...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, a lot of times I just..play. I sketch randomly, frethink, look at clouds...& sometimes things come form the oddest places. My Canberra-class desing came from thinking about the streamlining of seaQuest & about how throwing nacelles out on pylons all the time was boring after a while. Thus, compaction, streamlining, & the manta ray-like shape was born. Sometimes it's thinking about civilian designs, alien designs, or stepping away from capital ships for a while & heading for support vessels. Some of my best ideas have come up in freighter & tanker classes.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Shik, I spend a lot of my time just looking around. I get ideas from a lot of different places: insects, airplanes, subs, trains, cars, household appliances, seafood, plants, etc. Early jets are a particularly good source for unusual ideas.

I also spend a lot of time sketching, usually just studies of masses without worrying about surface details. I also try to sketch in perspective to avoid designs that look good only from one direction.

Sometimes I abandon the sketch pad and do "physical sketching" with clay, dishes, pencils, and rolled up papers, holding them in different positions and looking at them from different angles.

If you want to continue with pre-TOS Fed designs, try greatly varying the size and shape of the elements. For example, try a ship wih an extremely small or non circular saucer. For example, for Paris, I pushed the bridge to the very front of a pointed primary hull. Vary the number and placement of the nacelles: they don't always have to be long, paired, supported on long sticks, and at the back of the ship.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My roommates back in CT would hide remote controls from me because they looked like starships to me. Currently, I'm obsessed with the shape of my roommate's phone. It's Masao shuttle-like.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do the same thing, remotes and phones looks like some sort of space ship or at least part of one.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Better phones than other things.....

The design ideal of a saucer and two nacelles can only be taken so far.... I have designed a ship based on a shuttle, it gives a lot of volume for all sorts of stuff, made it a through deck carrier in one study model. If I can find the CD I burned it on to when cleaning off my HDD I will post it... My first design posting come to think of it...

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I usually get my ideas while I'm already drawing. In most cases I don't even "waste" my time and paper with pencil sketches but start directly in CAD. But aside from that, I have no tips - I'm suffering from a lack of ideas myself...

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm with Bernd on this one, I usually just start mucking about in PSP and usually inspiration will strike, sending me off on a weird tangent.
The EVAPs are a prime example of this, they started out as a reverse engineered version of one of Masao's early fighter concepts that he showed me and it ended up becoming a NASA maintenance pod.
The best advice I can give is to not think to much about what your doing and just see where your imagination takes you.
When that doesn't work I always have more than enough half finished projects - (enough to open a half finished gallery with) - to keep me occupied until something else comes along.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you (people) sketch oblique views of your ships to begin with or just a certain 'plane' and then build from there?

I like doing the oblique views but my perspective needs work. Any tips? Should I draw guide-lines?

Matt Jefferies sketches are 'simplistic' but they look fantastic.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know about guidelines for sketches. It sounds rather frustrating [Smile] It's a sketch after all, it doesn't really matter if perspective is off a bit.

And I just sketched up a TOS era ship with a big MIDAS-like sensor (communications?) dish at the back. But I forgot the nacelles [Embarrassed] ... and I don't know where to put them [Smile] Perhaps I'll corel something up.

--------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Here's a very quick sketch of what it could look like. I'm not 100% sure what the 'tentacles' do, but I think it looks cool [Cool]

Any suggestions for nacelles?

--------------------

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

An early repair pod/tug type vehicle???

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2008 Solareclipse Network.