Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Designer's Block (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Designer's Block
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it could be some kind of astroid mining ship, then you wouldn't have to worry about nacelles.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like to sketch first, because I find sketching is more flexible and allows me to get my ideas down faster. I sketch in perspective, then refine the final design on the computer.

Also, drawing in a vector program can sometimes lead to designs that are 2-D graphic exercises rather than 3-D designs. What I mean is that a thin antennae on a top or side views seems to fill in a graphic space as well as a large piece of hull. But when you look at it from another view, the antennae disappears. Of course, if you draw three views at the same time, this problem can be minimized.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Astroid mining.. hmm. Some tractor emitters on the ends, and a phaser at the back? How does Star Trek handle asteroid mining anyway? Apart from holographic 19th century tools, that is.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Identify what you need. Beam it out.
No fuss, no muss [Wink]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Depends on the composition of the asteroid in question, I seam to recall that certain minerals (I forget which) tend to interfere with transporters, other materials may become unstable within the matter stream so tractor beams and phasers (or lasers) would seam to be the safer option.

As for the design, I'd add some cargo modules in there somewhere so that the raw materials can be delivered to the mothership or other base of operation by simply swapping the full pods for some empty ones.
Presumably several of these ships could operate throughout an asteroid field so you could design a carrier that these ships dock with and transport them at warp from one system to the other.

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For many substances, beaming them out might be too energy-consuming. That would be like spending a lot of oil to obtain less than the equivalent as coal. I think that there could be well something like a starship to harvest small asteroids with drills and laser cutters.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Here's a design suggestion for the mothership, it looks sort of like a Starbase so you can imagine that it can be permanently stationed somewhere without the nacelles and just be a mining outpost.
 -

--------------------

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
For many substances, beaming them out might be too energy-consuming. That would be like spending a lot of oil to obtain less than the equivalent as coal. I think that there could be well something like a starship to harvest small asteroids with drills and laser cutters.

Bah. Energy-consumption isn't a concern of Starfleet. I refer you to the aforementioned holographic mining personnel [Wink]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some more sketches, including a very sketchy top-view.

I've thrown away the saucer, as it made the rest of the ship look really skinny in the top view. It's now a shape inspired by Masao's "small transporter".
I've also made the arms look a little bit stronger. The containers can be combined and 'hung' from a frame to form a Frans Joseph compliant container.

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is the internal space on the mothership oriented?
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bacteriophage!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed.

I'm also curious about the mining ships. How exactly do they move? I'm assuming that they latch on to their target with those legs, and scoop up the ore through some mechanism in the tail, but then where are the engines? And perhaps the "head" should be larger, indicative of more storage space, as I would presume the stuff gets moved from the aft to there, and then from there into the station.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

I've created a new topic for this ship.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps