Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Carter Winston's Shuttle

Author Topic: Carter Winston's Shuttle
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
microscopic screen caps: http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/232/carter.jpg (32 kb) http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/232/shuttlebay.jpg (36 kb)

My schematic (300 kb) http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/232/Winstonschematic.jpg

I used the back view of the Starfleet shuttlecraft with the front view of the Winston's ship and new nacelles. The Starfleet shuttle has some bulges on the side that should be reflected in the front view, but I got lazy.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao, you should have all of these TAS ships put in the Museum! You don't have to bother with a full-fledged article, but there's a major lack of good schematics for so many of these ships... I bet they'd be a big hit! [Smile]

(Heck, I've even started to like the Bonaventure just a tiny bit after seeing your renderings of it.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree. I have been a fan of TAS for a long time and it sure is good to see some excelent renderings, interpretations, of these shuttles and starships. Masao and Reverend are the best when it comes to those areas. I am glad that you guys take the time to do that wonderful work. [Big Grin]
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm working on an articles on transports and on shuttles for which I want to include some TAS ships (God only knows when these will be finished.) Other TAS ships I don't like so much and won't include.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's...um...interesting. Am I remembering incorrectly, or did the S.S. Conestoga from ENT "Terra Nova" resemble this design?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] It does!

Not one of the most interesting designs, but you gotta love good old TAS [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
It's...um...interesting. Am I remembering incorrectly, or did the S.S. Conestoga from ENT "Terra Nova" resemble this design?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Hmm, coincidental continuity?..or Coincinuity!

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A meek suggestion: if we want to have this thing represent the shuttle from "Mudd's Passion" as well as Winston's ship, we can't make it too large. OTOH, it doesn't look as if a man could stand straight inside that thing...

So what about interpreting the slight dorsal bulge in the "Mudd's Passion" view as a cockpit canopy, and taking the minor liberty with Winston's ship of raising the red-colored part into this canopy? That would certainly give the thing a nasty "retro" look!

Also, there could be some sort of a "waist" or narrower, greebled discontinuity to the smooth outer hull forward of the pylons, and the hull could then flare back to full width and smoothness at the very bow. And the hull could be a bit tapered at bow and stern instead of being a completely straight-walled flattened cylinder. That's how the "Mudd's Passion" pic looks like to me - and again, it would give the rather featureless little craft some additional character.

In short, I feel this little jewel is worth salvaging! More so than the Copernicus, for example...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey that is very Conestoga-ish!

Has anyone tried to do a 'realistic' 3d rendering of a TAS only ship?

Has anyone done a schematic for the S.S. Aurora?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

Regarding the size of this shuttle: The screen cap of the shuttlebay suggests the total height, including the nacelles, is about the same as a Galileo-type shuttle. That would make the height of the body shoulder height, or about the same as a regular car. I think a more likely height for the body would be about the height of a man.

I've seen 3-D renders of the robot cargo ship and Bonaventure by Thomas7g (at Kail Tescar's TAS site) and a render of USS Huron by Mateen Greenway (based off my schematics).

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mateen Greenway's renders have a very "realistic" feel to them, and fit well with the TOS Enterprise and the FJ ships portrayed next to them. The Huron would make for a very believable ship in a live-action show, too.

As regards the size of the "Mudd's Passion" shuttles, I'd rather think that the standard shuttle is shown oversized. The shuttle that Mudd finally ends up taking is portrayed in the hangar as being the same height as the standard shuttle, yet later we see it is a two-level vessel of significantly larger overall size.

Adding to this the fact that the details of the "standard shuttle" weren't correct, I'd simply pretend that there was no TOS shuttle in the hangar at all. Just its larger and in some cases similar-looking brethren. But I'd still prefer something a bit smaller than Reverend's beautiful take on the "Winston shuttle"...

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Timo:
Mateen Greenway's renders have a very "realistic" feel to them, and fit well with the TOS Enterprise and the FJ ships portrayed next to them. The Huron would make for a very believable ship in a live-action show, too.
Timo Saloniemi

Where would one be able to Mateen's renders!?!

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

They be here!: http://mateengreenway.com/matintro.htm

By Thomas7g: http://www.startrekanimated.com/tas_t7g.html

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

OK, Mateens - were nice - but they aren't what I'd call realistic. Most of her stuff isn't very 'realistic'. Too cartoonish.

This is a good one though:

http://mateengreenway.com/trek/Huron.jpg

Thomas7g:

http://www.startrekanimated.com/bonaventure_sch.jpg

And Thomas7g's are more like it - but he's sorta just 3d'd the TAS cartoon - I'd like to see something like what was done by Reverend - adding things that we'd normally see... the hull plating etc etc. Windows not just white squares etc. A bit of exhaust 'dirt' etc. etc.

thanks for the links though... nice stuff.

Andrew

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps