Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Yet another TAS shuttle

Author Topic: Yet another TAS shuttle
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Inspired as usual by Masao's work I decided to do another interpretation of one of the TAS shuttles.
This one as you might guess is based on Carter Wilson's shuttle, with a few elements of artistic licence.
 -

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa. Methinks I shall have to change my pants now. [Eek!]

It wouldn't have Starfleet pennants on it, though, considering it was a private vessel. And, isn't it just a bit too large? (Assuming that it's the same ship later seen in the Enterprise's shuttlebay in "Mudd's Passion.") Maybe not, it could just be me.

It does indeed look like ENT's Conestoga.

Good work!

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend, I *love* that little touch by replacing the usual yellow "boomerang" with the Enterprise arrowhead... that's cool!

Not having seen TAS, I can't comment on the accuracy of the design, but it definitely makes the ship look good! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend, nice looking shuttle. Are those two warp core transfer junctions on the top view of the shuttle? They look very familar, NX Class starships have two of those as well. It sure would be cool to see more of your interpretation on the TAS Long-Range Shuttle as well as your take on the TAS Heavy Shuttle. Once again, great job. You definately have the " touch " when it comes to designing shuttles and starships.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It wouldn't have Starfleet pennants on it, though, considering it was a private vessel. And, isn't it just a bit too large? (Assuming that it's the same ship later seen in the Enterprise's shuttlebay in "Mudd's Passion.") Maybe not, it could just be me.
This isn't meant to be the exact same shuttle seen in TAS, just the same design.
If you squint really hard you can see that it's registered to a Federation base.

-

As for the size, yes it is slightly larger than it appears in the shuttlebay, but then it's much much smaller than it appears outside, in front of the Enterprise.
Regardless this is the smallest it can practically be without the crew having to stoop all the time.

-

quote:
Reverend, I *love* that little touch by replacing the usual yellow "boomerang" with the Enterprise arrowhead... that's cool!
It's a pennant I designed for the Dreadnaught, in my mind it's what Starfleet were painting on the side of ships towards the end of the 2260s. Remember that we never saw any new ships in TOS and the "boomerang" dates back to at least the mid-2250's so there could have been a transitional design between the TOS and TMP pennants, which is why I've used it for all of my TAS schematics so far.

quote:
Reverend, nice looking shuttle. Are those two warp core transfer junctions on the top view of the shuttle? They look very familar, NX Class starships have two of those as well.
That was the basic idea, yes.
On one of the screen caps there are a pair of dark shapes in about the same position, since it didn't make much sense to have windows that far back I decided to make them into engine details.

quote:
It sure would be cool to see more of your interpretation on the TAS Long-Range Shuttle as well as your take on the TAS Heavy Shuttle.
The short answer to that is "Very unlikely indeed".
I'm afraid that those two shuttles are pretty awful and would be very difficult to salvage.

[ January 02, 2003, 18:37: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow! Very cool, Rev. It looks much more reasonable than the TAS shuttle. By the way, the standard starfleet version, as seen in the original screencap, has wide, rectangular nacelle supports and some sort of long thin thing on the rear roof of the body. But, I see no reason for wide rectangular nacelle supports. Yours are better.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't see the difference in pylons between the Winston craft and the shuttle, really. And I think the artist deliberately drew the two vessels to be so similar, even if the color schemes don't match. (Perhaps Kirk just confiscated Winston's ship into one of his own shuttles?)

Reverend's take on this is just plain stunning. Perhaps at the upper limit of believable size, though. Or a bit beyond. The size would seem to work for the comparison with the shuttle Mudd actually ended up stealing, but it doesn't work well with the size of the shuttle hangar itself.

Perhaps the craft could be a bit smaller if it were given a raised "cockpit" instead of a bow "flight deck". The aft view has this nice bulge up there - you could raise the red section overall, and not just the aft end of it. No need for standing height elsewhere in the ship, not if Winston flew solo.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very, very cool. I love the little details and the added bonus of seeing the schematic inside the shuttle bay. You just rock all over the place.

Might we see an idea of what the inside of the shuttle looks like?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, this is what I LIKE! And it fits with what I mentioned in the Carter Wilson thread. Has anyone made 'realistic' CGI images of TAS ships. And this is more like that! Next - an actual 3d image with all the bells and whistles like they do, lighting, windows, exhausts, panneling etc. It'd make TAS things more... tangible.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Now, this is what I LIKE! And it fits with what I mentioned in the Carter Wilson thread. Has anyone made 'realistic' CGI images of TAS ships. And this is more like that! Next - an actual 3d image with all the bells and whistles like they do, lighting, windows, exhausts, panneling etc. It'd make TAS things more... tangible.

Andrew

*waves a magic wand*

-

Courtesy of Kenny Mitchell of the ASDB.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

UPDATE
The shuttle has been rescaled to what I believe to be the absolute minimum size, without drastically altering the design of the cockpit.

To show the difference here is another shuttlebay cross-section, I think you'll find the size is now much more manageable.

-

quote:
Might we see an idea of what the inside of the shuttle looks like?
Patience, for the Jedi it is time to sleep as well. [Wink]

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps