Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Misc. TOS stuff (Page 2)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Misc. TOS stuff
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or the Chandley .
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, i love your renderings.. one thing, i think that a lot of Federation-class fans had decided that we prefer the center nacelle rotated so the intercooler (the thing thats usually on the inside of the nacelles) would point up, just like the Saladin/Hermes has been revised to have the structure point down. symmetry!
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Makin and Balson aren't very pretty either. They are hereby NOT nominated for updated schematics.

Other ships I might do:

- Detroyat
- Coronado
And if I ever get around to do movie-era designs:
- U.S.S. Decatur and the Belknap class.
- Ascension
- And probably refits of FJ's ships.

Re: Chandley. [Eek!] It looks like roadkill!

Re: Federation. Fixed the chart

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um.... where the frell do they stick the warp core on that Coronado? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My vote would be for the Detroyat. Of the three, I think that one is the most unique.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could ask a similar question about the Federation. If the modern assumption about main engineering being in the secondary hull is correct, how the hell do you get power up to the centerline nacelle? (Without endangering the flight deck personnel, that is.)

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
Um.... where the frell do they stick the warp core on that Coronado? [Wink]

Warp Core? On a TOS era ship? No such thing. [Razz]

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All of the Coronado's engineering is supposedly in the saucer section. Perhaps that explains the raised impulse engines.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you do decide to do the Decatur, DO NOT do the TOS-era version. That version was never built. It was simply a computer model.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Never built?
Yeah.
We would'nt want to confuse it with the non-canon starships that "were" built! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmph.. i thought it was built and had to be reconstructed for design flaws. besides, they might have even built more than a few of the TOS variant, and they were left out of the manual as 'disinformation to threat forces'

cuz it was a sweet looking TOS ship!

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TOS style Decateur was merely a design proposal. The Decateur as originally built had TMP nacelles but a saucer that was mid way between TOS and TMP. Then the Belknap was built. Finally the Decateur was modified to something a bit more like the Belknap but still distinct.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

capped
Member # 709

the ones they built were top secret. hush hush. never mentioned by the manuals of the Defense Forces Institute.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

I know about all that. But I could still draw the TOS-era proposal. Was something ever built in this stage of the Decatur dev project, or did it only exist as a computer model?

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Woodside Kid:
You could ask a similar question about the Federation. If the modern assumption about main engineering being in the secondary hull is correct, how the hell do you get power up to the centerline nacelle? (Without endangering the flight deck personnel, that is.)

For the Federation, though, there's a bit more room. Given how small the nacelle pylons are anyways, it's no big deal to route a plasma transfer conduit through the rear of the neck to get up to the third nacelle.

Though I wonder why they couldn't just have the third pylon mounted from the secondary hull, like Masao's Siegfried-class.

At any rate, I'd also like to cast my vote for Harry doing the Detroyat. That's one of the few fan designs of the "old" generation (those manuals that were published decades ago) that I genuinely love. [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps