Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Misc. TOS stuff (Page 4)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Misc. TOS stuff
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now there's a ship I'd like to see Harry do... [Big Grin]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just reguard ships like the Belknap - how is that 'possible' to have nacelles connected to the bottom of the engineering hull like that? The power-transfer conduits would have to bend like 270 degrees to make it into the warp pylon and then up into the nacelle!

Also, Harry - why don't you put the Starfleet symbol of the time on your chart? The arrow-head - as seen on the sides of ships and in many a Admiral's office and starbases.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Just reguard ships like the Belknap - how is that 'possible' to have nacelles connected to the bottom of the engineering hull like that? The power-transfer conduits would have to bend like 270 degrees to make it into the warp pylon and then up into the nacelle!

From memory - the horizontal intermix chamber runs along the bottom of the secondary hull, rather than along the top as in the Constitution. So the conduits only bend the same amount that they do in the Connie.

There are full schematics showing all the internal systems in Ships of the Star Fleet. But I'm not at home right now and so can't check.

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cutaway in Ships has the shaft going straight aft from the vertical intermix shaft, then taking a 90 degree bend down to the engine mount. Of course, it also has no space at all listed as deuterium storage, so you win some, you lose some.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoundEffect:
If you're referring to page 177 of the Making of Star Trek book, then it is in the secondary hull, with the power conduits coming down from the warp pylons behind a multilevel Engineering. What I see in the aft end of the saucer is a one level room with a turboshaft running directly up through the center of the room (if the saucer is indeed cut through the centerline.)

Where do you see the multiple level engineering?

While I concede that the cutaway is ambiguous, as nothing is labeled on it and it's not highly detailed, the accompanying text in the book (on page 171) makes it clear:
"Propulsion for the primary hull is provided by impulse power. The impulse engine section is located at the bottom rear end of the saucer. Headquarters for the engineering division is also located in this same area, as are main engineering control facilities plus sufficient repair, storage, and other facilities to service the primary section when detached from the star-drive sections of the vessel."

That's as opposed to (from pages 190 to 191):
"The secondary hull is often referred to as the engineering hull, as much of the facilities and activities conducted in this area are devoted to that department. A number of deck levels (there are sixteen of them) are also devoted to fuel, supply, main repair centers, water and waste reconversion, and interplanet freight. Minimal crew quarters are located in this hull, used by duty engineers and by the star-drive crew when the saucer section has detached and is operating separately."

So, while a number of "engineering decks" are in the secondary hull, main engineering is behind the impulse engines, which are the glowing shafts we see at the back of the set on the show.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

P.S.
And those "power conduits" are turbo-elevator shafts. [Wink]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go with the designer in all cases of conflict. Read the "Star Trek Sketchbook" where Herb and Fern actually interviewed Matt and note his comments that Gene insisted Main Engineering be "below decks" in the secondary hull CONTRARY to what Matt would have done with it. Matt didn't want this huge power comlpex like the diesel engines in an ocean liner, but that's what Gene wanted. So Mr. Whitfield's research methods don't even score with me.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, problem though: didn't that surly-alien-of-the-week sabotage the Enterprise's warp core in "Elaan of Troyius"? Wasn't Scotty standing in the middle of the Engineering space when he found it?

Although if my somewhat hazy memory is correct, in that episode Scotty was working in a room that was exactly like the normal Engineering set, but had an extra equipment platform in the middle of the room that had the dilithium chamber (or whatever that piece of equipment was) in it.

So maybe the Constitution Class had two identical Engineering rooms, one in the saucer and one in the secondary hull... although I can't think of any possible way to explain the identical appearances like the impulse-engine-like features in the secondary hull's room. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*

I need to make a FAQ page so I can just post a link instead of restating this multiple times.

By the time we had primary hull references to main engineering, Gene, Bob, and to a lesser degree Matt, had pretty much divorced themselves from the series, and no one who was left knew what was supposed to be where, beyond "The Making of Star Trek" which was written during TOS' second season. Besides, Matt didn't review scripts as his successors on TNG did. Odds are he never knew about those references.

The red-illuminated structures visible out the aft wall of the engineering set were the main matter/antimatter reactors, built forced-perspective to fit within the soundstage walls. If you look at the ceiling, the lateral braces start low on the starboard wall and curve up to the port wall. The set as built represents the starboard half of main engineering -- or at least has main engineering occupying the starboard half of the secondary hull at that point.

It is not two identical (or nearly so) rooms in different parts of the ship. It is one room that got redressed as they could afford it between seasons (as they did with the bridge of the Enterprise-D in TNG).

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
While I concede that the cutaway is ambiguous, as nothing is labeled on it and it's not highly detailed, the accompanying text in the book (on page 171) makes it clear:
"Propulsion for the primary hull is provided by impulse power. The impulse engine section is located at the bottom rear end of the saucer. Headquarters for the engineering division is also located in this same area, as are main engineering control facilities plus sufficient repair, storage, and other facilities to service the primary section when detached from the star-drive sections of the vessel."

All you've said there is that Impulse Engineering is at the back end of the saucer. I completely agree. We never saw Impulse Engineering in the entire series. Warp Engineering is what I was saying was in the stardrive section. Like in "The Day of the Dove", where the energy creature is 'laughed' out of Engineering and it shows it leave the exterior of the Enterprise near the base of the starboard warp pylon.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to the charts? It looks like the site is totally gone... [Confused]
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is. I thought these threads were dead and buried, but I could upload the pics to my new Lycos account. Be patient.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you could try FLARE UPLOAD!!! [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well.. I finally bothered to upload the stuff.

http://members.lycos.nl/harrysdump/trek/

I think most of the pics are there [Smile]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not seeing any Larson or Loknar images there... [Wink]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's just no pleasing some people.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps