Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Aegian Class Drawing Finished - - Yes Really (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Aegian Class Drawing Finished - - Yes Really
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Well... here she is. I put the last touches on her last night. The scans aren't super... but they're pretty good. I tried to keep the small one above small enough to avoid stretching your screens.... and below are some details and larger scans.

Beware... uber files below... around a minute on a 56K:

A large view of the drawing:
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/226/WeberLarge.jpg

A detail shot:
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/226/WeberDet1Large.jpg

Another detail shot:
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/226/WeberDet2Large.jpg

And one more detail:
http://lobotomy.pleh.net/~flareupload/uploads/226/WeberDet3Large.jpg

What do you think? This being the first time I've really done anything in this technique, I'm curious what the overall impression is. You guys think it came off successfully? I've still got some kinks to work out in the technique... and next time 'round, I think I'd like to try drawing on vellum as opposed to bristol board. It might stay a little brighter.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that's impressive! Even though I've seen most of it with your WIP drawings, it's still pretty nice to see finished. Congratulations! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice, especially the texture on the port bow.
What's the function of the "tail"?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Balance.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
COUNTERbalance. [Wink]

Mark <---It would not be so agile...

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I meant visual balance. Does "balance" actually exist in space?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm assuming the tail is for shuttle and cargo space. I have a dedicated station on the bridge for cargo/shuttle ops. That feature of the ship comes directly from the mesh in the game, but I think I actually shortened it a little from the length it was.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I meant visual balance. Does "balance" actually exist in space?

I really like it alot, but you should add something to the dead space at the bottom right corner to complete the "Z" dynamic in your drawing.
The way the eye follows the piece the last thing they currently see is that empty space.
I'm not bagging on ya at all: I really like the technique you added in both the aztec pattern and in the commander's face (in particular), I just think you could add something in that spot to bring the eye's focus back up to the upper right to complete the circle.
mabye something less than subtle like the Starfleet Delta pointing up or a ship's logo...
Just my two cents. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should get yourself over to Cafepress (www.cafepress.com), set up a shop, and sell posters of this thing. They print up posters and shirts (etc.) when someone orders. The seller (you) doesn't bear any of the cost. I had some big 2 x 3 foot posters made, and they turned out very nice. They also have 16 x 20-inch posters From the response here, I'm sure many would want to buy posters of your artwork.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^I'd buy one.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fantastic work!

Just a thought: How about making the secondary hull detachable? The saucer/spine/nacelles unit would look quite fine even without it. Only that a solution for the nav deflector would be required.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A cute idea, but what would be the role of the detached section (even assuming a different deflector arrangement that stays with the mothership)? It's got cabin windows but not much other detail. A cargo pod with bunking for the cargomaster?

The Aegian as it stands already is as small as a Nova. I'm sure she could use all the interior space she can get...

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

I will look at cafepress later today. It sounds interesting. Thanks for the tip.

As far as detachability goes: yah... the ship is pretty small. I don't think detachability is warranted. Besides, I was trying to stick pretty closely with the ship from the game and I never heard anything about seperation cabability. But hey.. there are plenty of drawings of the Ent-D out there that don't indicate it can seperate... so maybe the Aegian can too....

I had thought about adding something to that corner... but I oculdn't think of what would be good without looking like I was just trying to stick something in there. I thought about the UFP logo... but I don't know... I guess I can always stick somethign down there if I think of something good and can muster up the energy to go back and do it [Smile] I'm really quite lazy, you know.

Hunter
Member # 611

- posted      Profile for Hunter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about the ubiqutes Aegian Class Development patch? It'd balance out the picture and it would fit directly above the words Aegian Class
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

OK... I'm setting up my store at CafePress, but they appear to be pretty strict about copyright stuff... Since this design is taken straight from the game, I'm thinking there might be a problem here... what do you guys think?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps