Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TOS era Escape pod (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TOS era Escape pod
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A little bit of conjecture I've been working on as a side project to my Antares and Kobayashi Maru plans.
Supposedly the standard Starfleet escape pod of the mid 23rd century, with some stylistic links with the Travel Pod from TMP.

-

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
daaaaaaaaaaamnnnnnnn.............

Very cool. I think I even like the windshield-on-one-side-only thing....

*adds to reference pics for the Antares*

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would it only have a window on one side? I love the artwork, but the design doesnt make sence.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would only need one pilot's station. The rest of that area could be devoted to seating and/or emergency equipment. The pilot would need to have visual contact with whatever he was aiming at. Noone else really would.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's cool but the window shape and overall curved design makes ot look more like a TNG era travelpod than a TOS escape pod.
Your pod makes the Galielo shuttlecraft look too primitave (to me at least).
You could just give it a hard angled front with one cwntered window (both in the TOS shuttle style) to make it a perfect period piece.
The rear is flawless IMHO. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
I would only need one pilot's station. The rest of that area could be devoted to seating and/or emergency equipment. The pilot would need to have visual contact with whatever he was aiming at. Noone else really would.

Absolutely correct.

quote:
It's cool but the window shape and overall curved design makes ot look more like a TNG era travelpod than a TOS escape pod.
Your pod makes the Galielo shuttlecraft look too primitave (to me at least).
You could just give it a hard angled front with one cwntered window (both in the TOS shuttle style) to make it a perfect period piece.
The rear is flawless IMHO.

I tried the vintage angled approach but it just looked like a malformed shuttlecraft with no nacelles.
I've since developed it into a mass evacuation life boat, like those onboard the Saratoga at W359.

As for the shape of the window... I thought it best to have a relatively wide view forward with a smaller slit trailing off to the left to save on valuable internal space.
Form follows function.

--------------------

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great job Reverend. [Big Grin] What would be cool to see is a comparison of the Enterprise Inspection Pod vs. the TOS era Escape Pod vs. the Travel Pod from ST:TMP.

Reverend, your design does make sense. It follows a lineage and does it quite well.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually flipping through the TNG movie sketch book - I'm wondering if the front part of the Phoenix is anything like the Enterprise inspection pod?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is. They specifically designed it to look like the Phoenix cockpit. It also borrows some details from the TMP travelpod.

P.S.: Oh, and the door is copied from the International Space Station.

[ March 17, 2003, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I find unsatisfactory in this pod is not the TNG feeling it evokes (it does, since that window shape is so characteristic). It's the lack of functionality in the intended role.

The "First Contact" pods were full of things an orbit-to-surface evacuation pod from the 21st century would have - heat shields, retro-rockets, parachute compartments. The Saratoga pod was big and complex and had lots of greeblies that could be mistaken for these vital functions. OTOH, the ST:TMP travel pod and the ENT inspection pod clearly look like orbital craft that cannot make a controlled reentry and would be next to useless for evacuation. And this pod evokes all the wrong associations with the latter and not with the former.

Sure, one could evacuate from a dying starship to open space, and not aim for a planet at all. But carrying special pods for space-only evac would be silly when the same pods could carry the more useful planetfall gear, too.

Add a parachute compartment with a painfully obvious hinged or blowaway cover. And/or add retro-rockets for touchdown. Add legs or other protrusions (fixed, preferably) that will hold the thing upright after planetfall (the current pod would just roll to the nearest lake!) Add high-visibility markings (like, a dayglo "5" five times bigger than the current one) and big blinking beacons. Paint part of the hull differently, to make it look like a heat shield.

Most importantly, make the thing *ugly*. All scifi evac pods look ugly. Presumably, they aren't intended to operate long enough to require aesthetics.

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

First off the resemblance to the TMP Travel Pod was not my original intention, it only occurred to me much later when I started on the detailing.

Secondly if I had bestowed upon this pod a large amount of ugly surface detailing then I believe that it would be much harder for people to accept it as a TOS-era design.
Rest assured that all the features you have listed (with the possible exception of landing gear) would be present but for the most part hidden behind the type of invisible panels that is typical of all TOS era designs.

If you actually look at the plans you should be able to spot little groups of strategically placed rectangles, these are meant to be RCS thrusters and landing jets.
As for retro rockets; it should be noted that both the NX-01 shuttle pods and the later Galileo Shuttle seamed to be perfectly capable of vertical take off and landing without them so I don't see any real need for them here.

If there were an instance when a rapid deceleration were required immediately before touchdown then I think the best solution would be to turn the pod around in mid flight (presumably using the same shield system that makes the boxy Galileo aero-dynamic) and use the impulse thrusters to slow the craft and make touch down with the pod's nose pointing skywards.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just don't feel that impulse engines, antigrav landing systems and such would be viable technologies for an evacuation vehicle. I mean, an ejection seat does not have a jet engine, a pair of wings, and a tricycle landing gear, even though its "mothership" does, and the seat itself theoretically could. Instead, it has less service-intensive, more reliable and affordable alternatives: a rocket, a parachute, and the pilot's own two (hopefully!) feet.

Furthermore, if you can afford to make an evacuation pod that in practice is a shuttlecraft, then it certainly makes no sense to carry shuttlecraft. An evacuation pod should be something the ship is *ashamed* to even possess, something that should never see use. You don't install your latest supertech on something that you hope to be useless.

Basically, I feel era-specific escape pods are impossible anyway. This technology should be so rugged that it was perfected in the early 21st century already, and will not change for the next thousand years - much as is the case with lifeboats at sea.

Timo Saloniemi

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope you don't mind my hijacking this thread, but I have my own interpretation of a TOS era lifeboat. You got my mind working on this and not on what I was supposed to be doing at work! [Roll Eyes] I originally did this in Powerpoint, and just redid it in CorelDRAW when I got home. My version is more of a blend of the travel pod and the Galileo type shuttle. However, I couldn't decide between the "standard" paint job and the present day-glow orange, so I did both:
TOS Lifeboat 1
TOS Lifeboat 2

Timo: Present-day ships carry both lifeboats and various launches. I'm sure you could use a lifeboat as a launch if you wanted to, but there are many reasons I can think of why you don't.

B.J.

Timo
Member # 245

My argument was more on the lines that if you build lifeboats that are like launches, then you either are breaking some rules of common sense, or have an infinite budget. In either case, launches and lifeboats then become redundant as separate concepts, and should be considered "lifelaunches" instead.

Current ships carry separate lifeboats/rafts and launches for the very reason that the former are not versatile enough to do the job of the latter, while the latter are too expensive to do the job of the former. To be believable, Trek auxiliaries should reflect the same economics. To be futuristic, they should be bold enough to ignore the economic rules altogether and go to the logical conclusion of "lifelaunches".

Timo Saloniemi

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a question about lifeboats/escape pods. If you're in them for several days/weeks a la "Year of Hell" - what do you do about ablutions?? "Can everyone just move 10 cm to port - I've REALLY gotta go!"

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps