Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » federation shuttle

Author Topic: federation shuttle
Aldiwahn Teerodi
Member # 931

- posted      Profile for Aldiwahn Teerodi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i started this one friday evening and finished it today (with some pauses over the weekend [Smile] )

it's a shuttle to go with my new ship. inspired by the armed transporters from "st: new worlds" [Smile]

i'm aware of the entering problems and am thinking of how to fix it. any suggestions?

the pics [Smile]
 -
 -

-

--------------------
using freeware/shareware 3d applications? then have a look at sf-3d. :)

artist for space regents online strategy game

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don�t know about the shuttle, a little too angular in the rear and bottom for my taste, but man, I love the ship [Eek!]

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Awesome man!

I L-O-V-E that shuttle and that ship too - wow!

[Eek!]

One idea about the access though - via the side? Then you could have the door split into two - angled to fit the shape of the shuttle.

:shrug:

Justs an idea.

But it's kewl just as it is.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Aldiwahn Teerodi
Member # 931

- posted      Profile for Aldiwahn Teerodi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i also thought of side entrances but they can't go from top to bottom cause the lower part of the shuttle is full with engines (bussards, warp coils and M/A-reactor). so that side entrance would be almost the same as the back one. hmmz maybe a grid ramp will do but it'll look kinda agly i think. a retractable ramp would be neat i think (and easy to model [Smile] )

--------------------

Snork
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cool Shuttle. How about making the rear entrance hinge at the bottom to form a ramp (like in ST:V)?

Also how about adding some small wings, like the ones in Enterprise or the Argo from Nemesis? They might balance out the design a bit.

Don't forget to add some registry!

Nice designs though!

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a simple solution. Automatic swing-out steps stowed in the aft undercut.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A low tech solution would to attach a swing-down ladder to back edge of little platform behind the door. It's stowed up against the door and swings down for use.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A wide-beam emitter placed under the door, projecting a 45� null-grav helter-skelter.

What is that other ship the shuttle belongs to?
Any info?
It looks so gray and unaesthetic it could be an even more dedicated warship than the Defiant.
No holodecks or stuff, just the essentials. I like it!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Aldiwahn Teerodi
Member # 931

i'm gonna think about the suggestions. thanks [Smile]
but it won't have any wings, i wanted to look it just like that.

that ship, well, it's just there so that the image ain't that empty with only the shuttle. i must've made something wrong in the post production. that's how it should look like:
 -

the ship is quite blue actually. it's a small science vessel, not larger than 160 meters. i doubt that shuttle will fit into the shuttle bay, cause the shuttle is 11 meters long [Smile] the ship it's intended for is way larger (around 870 meters) [Smile]

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It looks good, but I'd place the phaser strip above the windshield (so as not to obscure the pilot's view with phaser blasts).
...and I'd add prominent RCS thrusters to the nose and aft.
Lastly I'd round the hard corners at the shuttle's fore-to give it that TNG/DS9 rea design ethic. [Wink]
Hell of a start.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I understand how placing the strip above the window would create less of a blast than placing it below. The strip itself won't be within the pilot's field of view in either case, and any "muzzle flash" in a normal combat situation where you fire more or less forward would blind you no matter where it came from. And having the weapons roughly on the "waterline" of the craft looks good and balanced to me.

The engine grilles are in a grave danger of getting Foreign Object Damage down there. Perhaps you could have some sort of a protective plate that swings in front of the blue grilles when the craft approaches the ground? That plate could also include the ladder needed to access the rear door...

Also, the narrow base of the craft makes it look as it would tip over. Which it won't, since all the weight is down there in the machinery compartment. But it still looks funny. How to make the bottom look heavier? Perhaps the blue engine grilles could be surrounded by all sorts of "associated features", like the rings just behind the ramscoops in standard nacelles. Or the grilles could spill over to the sides a bit.

There could also be the barest hint of landing gear, some sort of a "traction surface" or something...

Timo Saloniemi

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having the phaser strip over the windshield would provide a firing arc or the ships dorsal side without the beam crossing the piulot's field of view.
As on a Danube class Runabout the side mounted phaser strips can fire forward as well.
If this is a troop delivery vechile, I's add a phaser strip to the dorsal side as well.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, if this is a pre-TNG craft (like that cool proto-Nova on the background), I'd remove strip phaser armament altogether. And if it's post-TNG, I'd indeed give it moving wings and other idiotic transformer features...

Timo Saloniemi

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I very much like the slight Constitution homage with the impulse engine forward circular thingy. and I love the underslung "we don' need no stinkin' nacelles" warp drive.

You might consider making the inset area around the impulse units that a darker color, perhaps even an almost-black gray . . . if nothing else, it would hide any exhaust scoring that might occur, if that's even really a concern. Or, you might even consider 'greeblies' in that area, but that does depend on the era, of course. Generally, random acts of innards-exposure occur in the post-TNG era, or right around TMP.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps