Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Multi-versal ship size comparison (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Multi-versal ship size comparison
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't sure where to put this. It's certainly creative, but it certainly ain't MY work...

Nevertheless, it's pretty cool and should provide endless hours of arguments for the ship-size fanatics here.

Starship Dimensions

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=002060

Same place, different URL.

ST suuuure thinks small compared to other franchises.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When looking at the "big girls", the Vorlon Planetkiller sure looks teenie-weenie.
To think a ship like that could blow up a planet, harumph.

Even worse is the little ship in the beginning of MiB2. Really ridiculous concept.

And the two Death Stars, I never thought about 160km and 800km in diameter was that big a dif!

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any site where you can place the Stay Puft marshmellow man on the nose of a Star destroyer is cool with me. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I saw the Trek ships it got me thinking, has anyone done a 3-view schematic of Shinzon's Scimitar cruiser?

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, the D'deridex looks a lot bigger than the Galaxy. I never realised how huge they are...
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"And the two Death Stars, I never thought about 160km and 800km in diameter was that big a dif!"

Yeah, the diameter may not seem much larger, but the increase in volume is astro-f*cking-nomical...

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
ST suuuure thinks small compared to other franchises.

And in my opinion - more realistically. Imagine the resources needed to build something like the friggin' Deathstar.

I notice he hasn't put the Dyson Sphere there OR V'ger - with cloud which was like 80 AUs!

Or Yonada from "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky".

Gee that's a great title for an episode. So memorable - unlike Voyager's and now Enterprise's (some). All those one-worders for Voyager episodes. [Razz] [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V'ger is there... that thing isn't as huge as the moon though...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Nim
Member # 205

That v'Ger ship, did we ever see that design in the middle of the "cloud"??? Where does that picture come from??? [Confused]

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 AU is the distance from the Sun to the Earth, so I suspect that if he included the 80 AU V'ger, it would be on a page with nothing else to compare it with. [Smile]
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
That v'Ger ship, did we ever see that design in the middle of the "cloud"??? Where does that picture come from???
That's actually the design from the film. We didn't get to see the thing from bow to stern until such a shot was created for the TMP Director's Cut.

I'd like to know where he came up with V'Ger's length of 98 km, though. The only reference I ever saw for the vessel's size was in Roddenberry's novelization. During the initial encounter, someone in the bridge crew (can't recall who exactly) says that V'Ger is twice the size of Manhattan Island. I grew up in New York City. Manhattan is nowhere near being 50 km long; it's much closer to 20 km.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a line like it's such and such long and Uhura says - that could hold a crew of ten thousand and the good doctor wisely says or a crew of ten 1000 feet tall or something to that effect.

Yeah Michael - I meant V'ger-with-cloud.

How big was one of those Borg fractal trans-warp hubs?

ALSO - I wish they'd include Stargate Ships. Apophis's big ship would be HUGE! Even a normal Pyramid ship is big - I can't remember the Goa'uld word for it...

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
Member # 205

Woodside Kid: "That's actually the design from the film. We didn't get to see the thing from bow to stern until such a shot was created for the TMP Director's Cut."

Really? It can be seen in the DC?
Thats one argument for my checking out this refit of a movie.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, you really should watch the new TMP. It's unlike any other Star Trek. It has a very distinct epic "Space 2001" feeling about it. Which is nice.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps