Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Constitution Class - Phase II (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Constitution Class - Phase II
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Well, it would've been a little hard for her to command it after... [Big Grin]

That was the point. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Wraith:
Was she just called captain by another character or was it actually stated she held the rank of Captain? 8 years isn't too bad for Ensign to Lt Cdr which is all I'd imagine is needed for an Oberth!

It's been a long time since I've read it, but I think it was stated explicitly. I'll have to dig out the book when I get home.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
even if she was referred to as 'captain' or as 'the captain of' this would still hold with naval (and Starfleet) parlance.. any officer that is in command of a commissioned vessel has the right to be called captain, regardless of their rank.

Lieutenant Commander Janeway would be referred to as 'Captain Janeway', or as 'the captain of the Bonestell' even though she was nowhere near the captain's rank.. its a title of position, not of rank.. unless they specifically say 'she reached the rank of captain' then its not necessarily the case

BTW, didnt the book's chronology place her Bonestell command a few years after W359? i believe that it was necessary to assume she commanded a different ship than the one destroyed in 2367

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
even if she was referred to as 'captain' or as 'the captain of' this would still hold with naval (and Starfleet) parlance.. any officer that is in command of a commissioned vessel has the right to be called captain, regardless of their rank.

Lieutenant Commander Janeway would be referred to as 'Captain Janeway', or as 'the captain of the Bonestell' even though she was nowhere near the captain's rank.. its a title of position, not of rank.. unless they specifically say 'she reached the rank of captain' then its not necessarily the case

I'm pretty sure that (in the Royal Navy at least) COs of ships are only called "Captain" either:
a) on their ship, or
b) by their crew when off the ship.

An Admiral on shore would call the CO "Commander", or whatever their rank was.

As Janeway had a performance review in the book (which now I think about it could have been Mosaic, not that it makes much of a difference), it seems likely that she was called Captain by whoever conducted that.

quote:
BTW, didnt the book's chronology place her Bonestell command a few years after W359? i believe that it was necessary to assume she commanded a different ship than the one destroyed in 2367

I don't remember, sorry. [Smile]
Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gotta ask: why is it that her making the rank of captain never made a big deal of, then? I mean, neither Kirk nor Picard made Captain that fast, tho both made it pretty quickly. You'd think it would have been important enough to have been stated somewhere on-screen. I just don't buy it....

If she had made the rank of captain so quickly, it would have been mentioned in the series at some point. Plus, 8 years from what would be, in modern US Navy Parlance, going from O-1 to O-6 in so short a time is unheard of. There are generally time-in-grade requirements which must be meant, which is to ensure that you have a competent, experienced officer in certain positions. Command of a starship would be one of those. This is why I don't consider any of the novels as being canon - they make no common sense.

Phoenix
Member # 966

Yes, but Janeway's on first name terms with the Admirals! [Smile]

And we have no evidence to show that Starfleet has minimum time requirements.

And Pathways and Mosaic are canon. [Big Grin]

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
And Pathways and Mosaic are canon. [Big Grin]

OK, then!  -

Whatever you want to use for your own version of Canon, then. [Wink]

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah! all the Admirald Picard was on first name basis with were either killed, possesed by parasites or complete assholes.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Phoenix
Member # 966

quote:
Originally posted by Griffworks:
Whatever you want to use for your own version of Canon, then. [Wink]

I believe the whole point about canon is that it's determined by Paramount, not us. If they say it's canon, it is.

That doesn't mean we have to include it in our own personal interpretations of Star Trek, though. [Smile]

Griffworks
Member # 1014

OK, then!  -
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masaki:
Updated!

Masao, thanks to your suggestion.

1.1...(WIP)

to Sarvek

I'm planning on another views(top, fore, rear...etc) and another Intermediate Constitution class ship.

Good renderings! I'm curious on what you based the profile. Did you work off the drawings of the ship in the Phase II book?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Jim NCC1701A
Member # 1021

- posted      Profile for Jim NCC1701A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Middy Seafort:
In fact, there was a fan-film made by a UCLA student that proposed that the Yorktown had a similar design as a test-bed for the new linear intermix warp drive. I forgot it's name and have never seen it, but it was mentioned in an issue of Starlog long ago. George Takei was also in it, as he knew the student and did it as a favor.

Yorktown II made by Stan Woo.

Andrew Probert did the design work for the Yorktown and a Klingon shuttle.

I've never seen it - only read about it in the same issue of Starlog - but I'd love to see what the Yorktown looked like.

Anyone here know how to contact Mr Probert, maybe see if he'd provide an image?

--------------------
It's life Jim, but not as we know it...

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jim NCC1701A:
Yorktown II made by Stan Woo.

Andrew Probert did the design work for the Yorktown and a Klingon shuttle.

[snip]

Anyone here know how to contact Mr Probert, maybe see if he'd provide an image?

I talk to Andy Probert all the time...but what are you referring to? The Yorktown and Klingon shuttles from what?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think he meant from the fanfilm...
Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
I think he meant from the fanfilm...

Indeed. That is probably what he meant.

I wonder if there is a copy of that film running around somewhere... it'd be interesting to watch.

aridas
Member # 1051

- posted      Profile for aridas     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
well, in the hierarchy of canon, the comics were officially licensed by Paramount, and all the stories were approved by lawyers and, when he was around, Gene's office.

SotSF, while i love it, was made by a few fan-guys against paramount's wishes and they were later sued for it. i think that damages the credibility a bit. besides, i dont think its feasible to refit an Archon into a Connie.. its just a ridiculous concept.. there would be no original ship intact..

BTW, on the subject of the TAS ship, it suffered from the same problems as the TOS footage.. a lot of the ship footage was traced from film of TOS.. some shots of the ship show the old pilot bridge, others show the regular series bridge.. im not sure, but i think TAS has a nacelle ball problem too.

I was one of the "fan guys", and no one was sued by Paramount. That is a ridiculous claim, and you shouldn't throw around claims like that without verifying them. It is also ridiculous since Todd Guenther, the author, went on to do the 1701-D blueprints for Paramount along with Rick Sternbach (I wrote the introduction to SotSF, did the color plates in the back, and contributed several ship designs)

As for the contention I made in the USS Enterprise Heavy Cruiser Evolution Blueprints, which are referenced in SotSF, that the Horizon/Archon class was used as a test bed for the Constitution class design, let me explain. Of course the idea was born of necessity, being that the Republic and Constellation registries were so far off. But I was the one that decided to use Jefferies old spherical primary hulled design for Horizon. I could have used something much closer to Constitution if I wanted to. But we had a conception of very futuristic starship construction that allowed the fantastic reworking of one shape into another. We said that the hull components were broken down into their basic elements and reused. The spaceframe was adapted as needed. The hull was then "spun" back over the frame in layers.

Republic and Constellation would not have looked as much like the Constitution at first. More like the Pytheas in my Federation Starship Recognition Chart. (This was also derived from an old Jefferies concept for Enterprise -- one of his first stabs at a saucer shaped primary hull.)

Later refits would bring the two testbed starships up to an approximation of the Constellation. But they would always be different -- notice the fact that the AMT model used for Constellation in "The Doomsday Machine" has significant differences from the 1701 shooting miniature. You could assume most of the differences would be internal though, an artifact of the adapted spaceframe.

--------------------
Feeling nostalgic for that old time Trek religion? Visit the Federation Reference Series online!

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps