Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Sets in ST V and VI

Author Topic: Sets in ST V and VI
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a few posers regarding the sets used in ST V and VI. I assume that the films were done on the STNG soudstage, using redresses of the standing sets:

1- The 'Officer's Mess' - ST VI (where the Hamlet discussion took place.
a- What set was used? (STNG Conference Room?)
b- Where on the ship was it supposed to be?
(Aft and two decks below bridge?)

2- The 'Kitchen' - ST VI.
a- What set was used? (STNG Lab?)
c- Why all the computers?

3- The 'Bunkrooms' - ST VI.
a- What set was used? (Standard two-room suite?)

4- The 'Officer's Lounge' - ST V.
a- What set was used? (10-Forward?)

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

A - Re-dress of the TNG Observation Lounge.
B - if you'll notice, I think its destroyed when Chang's torpedo punches through the saucer, so I think it MUST be in that region somewhere. [Big Grin]

quote:

A - No idea.
B - No idea, but probably close to the Mess Hall and Officer's Dining Room.
C - How else you going to monitor the ovens, pull up recipes, etc., hrm?

quote:
3- The 'Bunkrooms' - ST VI.
a- What set was used? (Standard two-room suite?)

Er. They seemed taller than the standard suite to me.

quote:

A - No idea.
B - Forward saucer.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Middy Seafort
Member # 951

- posted      Profile for Middy Seafort     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:

If memory serves, that set was built specifically for Trek V-- designed by Herman Zimmerman. More information on the set can be found in Lisabeth Shatner's book on the making of Trek V.

Middy Seafort

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm certain that the forward observation lounge from ST:V was NOT 10 Forward from TNG. The number of windows are wrong, for starters, as is the angle of the windows.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's correct. It was one of the few newbuilds for that movie, and wasn't really used since.

The TUC kitchen was later seen as the bridge of the USS Sutherland. I think it was also a newbuild for that movie. On the Enterprise, I don't think they really put much thought into where it should be, but it's reasonable to assume that someone could rationalize it to be those windows on the aft of C Deck, where the first Kirk-Spock-McCoy scenes originally occurred.

The bunkroom set was more than likely the usual TOS officers quarters. We never really got a good look at it, but I don't remember seeing any windows, so it's a good bet.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd venture that Ten Forward's set wasn't actually built until after TFF wrapped. For all we know it could have shared at least part of the same stage footprint as the FF lounge.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
quote:

A - No idea.
B - Forward saucer.

the young among you may not realize it, but i believe a previous discussion on this (or possibly another) board yielded the conclusion that the STV lounge windows must be hidden behind retractable hull plates, since there are no windows of that size anywhere near the front of the 1701-A's saucer.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The_Tom:
I'd venture that Ten Forward's set wasn't actually built until after TFF wrapped. For all we know it could have shared at least part of the same stage footprint as the FF lounge.

As Ten Forward set was added at the beginning of TNG's second season, it would have been built in the summer of 1988, whereas TFF wasn't released until mid 1989.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The dining room seen in STVI had to be in the blast radius of the torpodoe strike. After the torpodoe hit the ship, the blast effects of the strike pushed the dining room's walls forward and onto the floor.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The lounge in STV may have been the revamped rec deck area?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

No, the rec deck is on the saucer's starboard aft and the direction of travel in Trek V implies the lounge was 'supposed' to be in the front somewhere. As was said, there are no such windows on the exterior.

quote:
Originally posted by Treknophyle:

Can't be. Window count is way off.

quote:

New build and as Mark Nguyen said, was redressed as the Sutherland bridge.[/QB][/QUOTE]

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

Well, the view is wrong, as pointed out elsewhere, and the Rec Deck set was torn down immediately after shooting was completed in TMP, and bits of it were used to make the observation lounge where Spock met Kirk and McCoy.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps