Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Mid 24th Century Federation Freighter (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Mid 24th Century Federation Freighter
Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The use of multiple nacelles was addressed early on in TOS novels. Three Nacelles proved to be very inefficent. Four were less efficent than two. Besides one of the larger battleships,at least one passenger liner used the three nacelle populsion. Four would allow for economy cruise using two at a time. All four could be used to pull heavy loads. The warp field which takes on the shape of the chest insignia used in TOS,requires a slight difference in the placement of each nacelle as viewed from the top. One must be slightly ahead of its opposite number. This came from one of the early models used in filming the obiting scenes. To give a better sense of perspective it was asymetrical. This was later used in a parody Star Trek theme song that mentioned how it looked kind of bent. In one TOS novel the Enterprize' ability to reach higher top warp speeds was traced to a warping of her frame work caused by an ION storm. This gave the nacelles just the right alignment that had eluded Star Fleet engineers for many years.P.S. very nice job on your designs.
IP: Logged
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of course, that novel has nothing to do with the way it actually happens on Star Trek. it was just a non-canon novel

*sorry

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mountain Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thought this was a non canon zone. The little historical tidbit might be helpful to model makers in filming,or photographing scenes.
IP: Logged
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kazeite:
Kickass work, Reverend [Smile]

I was concerned about the number of nacelles, but your explanation convinces me [Big Grin]
But now I wonder if those nacelles are perhaps a little short for a stormtr... er, to do their job [Big Grin]

Any longer and they'd start getting in the way of the cargo bay I'm afraid. [Wink]

As for novel info; I prefer to take the ostrich approach. If I can't see it, it isn't there. [Wink]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is something I've been meaning to do for a an absolute age.
DENEVA-Class Cutaway
If this keeps up I might actually finish my old ASDB work.

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Resurrection of the dead. And great work!

I am more than eager to see the old ASDB stuff finished.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BRAAAAINS!!! [Big Grin]

VERY nice work, Rev! I always get myself way too mired in details to ever finish a cutaway.

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I think this cutaway should dispel any notion that this design is too small! Looking at this I'd say it's as big as it can possibly be and still be run safely by only two crewmen.

Crazy idea; what if there was a travelpod permanently docked at the aft airlock, like a Lamprey, or Remora? Like so.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

I didn't really set out to start this, I only wanted to get an idea of what the shuttle bay looked like...then I thought I might as well design the bridge too...one thing led to another and well, here's the entirety of B-Deck.

And while I'm at it, the MSD is about done.

--------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. This perfectly bridges the gap between the big ships and the runabouts.

We may be able to surprise everyone with a totally unexpected ASDB site update.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Don't update it just yet! I'm still fiddling with this one. I've already re mapped the aft section, which means I'll need to tweak the the MSD and I'm sure I'll end up doing the other 4 decks so expect more refinements...all because I noticed there was no head in the aft section!

As for the Danube link, yeah, that was one of the ideas when I first sketched it out. Well to be precise I meant it to be a relation of the Erewhon-Class, which I saw (aesthetically anyway) as a earlier relation to the runabouts. Notice it shares a similar look to the landing gear.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

UPDATE

Finished off B Deck (I think.)
Made some revisions to the MSD.
And made a first pass at A Deck.

You may notice I've added some Probert style Work Bee docking bays, between the shuttlebay and the modular section. I'm updating the full colour views as I go with any additions or revisions I make along with the deck plans, so when I finish I should have a whole new set ready to release.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the big question is, if this is Deneva, where do they stow that lifepod we saw in "Legacy"? [Wink]

The ship is equipped with a large number of auxiliaries already: six distinct craft shown in the MSD. Are those two light shuttles standard issue, or only embarked every now and then in place of regular cargo? What does the ship need them for?

How many crew are supposed to be aboard anyway? If this is Deneva, should we argue that she had a crew of something like eight, and six perished?

In dialogue from "Legacy", the first estimate we hear for the crew count is Picard's "Prepare to lock onto the two crewmen", suggesting that's exactly how many there were. But there is a cut before Picard makes his first log on the emergency; perhaps the deaths of the six were established before Picard made that log?

If you asked me, I'd omit the shuttlebay altogether, and only retain the aft docking port and the workbee hive. The port could then berth the lifepod or observation pod, which could be the very same thing (we just see the 2360s model in "Legacy").

Timo Saloniemi

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well that shuttle in the MSD is really only to show scale, but to answer your question, no, the Deneva doesn't carry a Type-17 as apart of it's standard compliment but I have designed it to be able to support anything as large as a Type-6 (Type-7 at a push) while still having a usable shuttle/cargo bay. After all, shuttles can be cargo too. As for the escape pod seen in "Legacy", you can see it on the MSD on C Deck, below and to the right of the Type-17. The idea is there are always two of them stored there, each sat on it's own elevator so when the evacuation sequence begins, both of them power up and ascend to the shuttlebay so the crew can leg it from wherever they are on the ship to the shuttlebay and have two escape craft warmed up and ready to go.
In the even that the shuttlebay is inaccessible to either the crew (ie the forcefield has failed) or the pods themselves (hull damage/wrekage) then what happens is the crew still go to C Deck, but instead of ascending they blow the lower cargo platform clean off with explosive bolts and then retract the pod's lift platform and simply drop out the ship's belly. Now that's a little more dangerous since if they can't wait a few seconds between blowing the platform and dropping out of the bay then they run the risk of colliding with stray cargo modules, or indeed the platform itself before it's fully clear of the ship, which is why it's a contingency escape procedure.

Of course the Travel Pod and the work bees don't have the delta V to escape a core breach, so the only other alternatives are: -
1 - Blow the bolts on the command section, though they'll only have thrusters to escape the blast zone.
2 - Blow the bolts on the aft section; they'll have impulse and possibly the cargo pods too, though they'd have a hard time steering it.
3 - Jump in an EVA suit and beam to the maximum safe distance.

Of course in the situation the Arcos was in, the best option would be to do as they did and use the pod(s) as the aft section can't land on it's own, the command section would need a good landing stretch to perform an emergency slideou, while still expecting to suffer sever damage in the process and standard EVA suits aren't able to survive re-entry.

Bottom line the shuttlebay stays. I like how it lookes with an open bay and the entire internal cargo transfer system is useless without a large bay at the end of it.

Also for the record I designed it with a minimum crew of 2 in mind. Though the optimum compliment is more like 6.

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome. Any chance of a zoom-in on the forward section of B-deck, specifically the bridge? [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps